Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the weather down in your part of Montana has been as mild as ours thus far and that you're well.

Thanks for bringing up the CWD issue, it's something that any travelling hunter needs to be aware of for sure.

We've started to do voluntary sampling of local deer here in BC and there's been a ban on bringing in any ungulate parts other than the boned out meat, hide and properly cleaned skull plate for a couple years.

There has been a bit of discussion on what "properly cleaned" might entail, but in discussions with the bios they'd like to see no tissue whatsoever and if one is inclined to give it a scrub with bleach they said it couldn't hurt.

But for sure where my family in Saskatchewan hunt there's CWD and it's been tough on the mulies especially.

All the best to you sir and Merry Christmas.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I've been carrying a Silky Pocketboy 130 for a long time, but have never used it. I ream the pelvic canal from both, the inside and outside, and everything comes out as it should.

The best tool for coring azzholes I've come across.....
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's nice Don but you really should wash it off before you use it to slice apples.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
here's the oe pocketboy next to the 3d handle one (and the weight of the oe one); like I said the original handled one is heavier, but more sturdy and isn't overly heavy (the blades are ~ 1/2 ounce)

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by longarm
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I don’t think folks are referring to separating the ball joint….they’re referring to separating the lower and upper rear legs by cutting through the joint immediately beneath the ‘heel’ or what most people think of as the ‘knee’.

I may try the Havalon saw the next time I do need a saw for something, as it does look handy.

Exactamundo.
A sharp knife will easily remove the lower legs once you learn where to cut. There’s a joint just below the hock on the hind legs that a knife will go right through. My dad worked in a butcher shop when I was a baby and he taught me where it is.

Here’s a video on how to do it. He’s doing it cold. It’s easier before the animal cools.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

E
E
I typically don't carry a saw that much anymore as I've gotten to where I prefer euro mounts most of the time but when I do I use a Stanley wood saw that I ground down so it wasn't so bulky and put a light weight handle on it. It's probably the best thing I've used for cutting through bone.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I have good luck with this for cutting bone. carry and extra blade. very light compact. I prefer gutless and bone out. but for carrying out quarters works well

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...hig3b7dh0hoCUlAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by ribka; 04/16/24.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by longarm
[quote=T_Inman]I don’t think folks are referring to separating the ball joint….they’re referring to separating the lower and upper rear legs by cutting through the joint immediately beneath the ‘heel’ or what most people think of as the ‘knee’.

I may try the Havalon saw the next time I do need a saw for something, as it does look handy.

Exactamundo.
A sharp knife will easily remove the lower legs once you learn where to cut. There’s a joint just below the hock on the hind legs that a knife will go right through. My dad worked in a butcher shop when I was a baby and he taught me where it is.

Here’s a video on how to do it. He’s doing it cold. It’s easier before the animal cools.

Yep no need for a saw on legs or to split a pelvis, a knife can do all the work.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,916
Posts18,479,651
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.