-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is way too much out there for two weeks. Pick out parts of our suggestions and go see them. Don't stretch yourselves out too much. There is another year. I try to keep driving miles down below 300 a day. Sometimes well below.

In April 4WD might be advisable. One year in September we stayed in 4WD from Glenwood Springs Colorado to the Utah Uinta Mountains to Wyoming north of Flaming Gorge. Early snow.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Wife and I are in Middle Tennessee. We plan to get in the car, drive west for a week, and turn around and head home the second week.

All we’ve seen west of the Mississippi consists of Las Vegas and the Hoover Dam.

What should we not miss?

Don't miss the Tulsa Arms gun show. Ap. 6 and 7. Largest gun show in the country.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My earlier suggestion of Yellowstone as a destination was predicated on your being able to reschedule your trip to late May or early June.

If you’re locked into the April timeframe I would not plan anything much north of I-40 in the states west of the plains.

Reserve the northern Rocky Mountain destinations for summer trips.

Lots to see along I-40 if you plan a few northward excursions as weather conditions permit. (Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon etc.)

April is Spring in Tennessee, but still Winter in the Rockies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last August from Indiana I went up to I80 in NE, into WY, a night in Pinedale, on to Jackson and the Tetons, 4 days in Yellowstone, back east to Cody for the Museum of the West and rodeo, on to the Bighorns, then Devils Tower, stayed all night in Sundance. Next day on I90 to Deadwood, Sturgis, Mt. Rushmore and Blackhills, Badlands then headed home. Many other sites to see near that route. However, April may be too early for Yellowstone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed Carlsbad Caverns. Spent most of a day wandering underground. There's more stuff in that area past the caverns too.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
have not read all this so ..

depending on your route and seeing as you are on here you might like seeing the Bass Pro national headquarters which also house a very cool NRA gun museum. , located Springfield MO
kust south of Springfield a bit is big time tourists destination Branson.. you can find lots of info on line about Branson attractions ...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
We roadtrip in the west all of April every year. Our primary focus is hiking and critter watching. We have spent the last 2 weeks of April in Cody, Wy. several times and will do it again. The North fork of the Shoshone river between Cody and the east entrance of Yellowstone is spectacular and like a big game zoo. We have seen Big horn Sheep, Buffalo, Moose and Griz from the road and the pastures are overrun w/ deer and elk. That area also offers a huge variety of trails that you will probably have to yourself, carry binos and your favorite bear blaster.

The Black Hills area is also a destination worthy of a week long stay. We stay in the cabins of the lodge near the west entrance of Custer State park. Mt. Rushmore is a good day trip but hiking in the Park and the prairies south of there is mind blowing if you like wide open spaces populated w/ buffalo, Mule Deer and about a billion prairie dogs. April can be magical for visiting great places w/out the crowds.

If winter lingers hit Moab and the rest of Utah's canyon country.

mikr r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
So how are the current road conditions around Yellowstone? The extended weather forecast doesn’t look bad.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.