-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
Hello, my name is James Langston, I have a J. PeterLongo Austrian Drilling 1912 that I purchased from Gun Broker a month ago. It's been a challenge also with the cartridge but still working it. I have fired the drilling about 40 times so far but my brass has an issue. Had to purchase a scope and make my own rear mount base. I have and issue with the brass from Bertram USA so this is what I emailed them.I purchased 100 pieces of 6,5x70R brass from Bertram Brass USA. On the bottom of the rifle barrel it is stamped 6,3 1/2. Back then they measure from the lands (this is just for your info). I have some questions about the brass that may have to be answered by the techs or your re-loaders/sizers. I inserted some pics also to show. Here is the issue that I am having. I have a set of RCBS dies. Every time I size a round of brass it leaves a small crack about 1/4in around in the same place (middle). Ample amount of RCBS case lube is used, and also have taken the center of the sizer and looked inside if there were any defects, none that I can see. After sizing and trimming, the brass fits perfectly in the chamber. At the range the ammo all fired perfectly but the cracks lengthened, I do believe that this is only to be once fired brass, and at almost $5.00 a piece of brass, this is not feasible. I do not believe with the craftsmanship and technologies of the old Austrian gun makers that this was an issue. I have come up with some theories that may explain the issue.
1. There is too much brass to resize in the die. (extremely hard to resize) Bertram should test the brass in RCBS dies in your factory to look for cracks.
2. My RCBS dies are not made correctly/incorrect tolerance.
I was wondering if you have heard any other issues with this round being reloaded, or please give me what is causing the problem.
I only have about 55 piece's of new brass left and I don't want to reload anymore since I can't fix this issue. At $479.00 per 100 pieces, you should understand. I have been reloading for over 20 years and this is the first with the main body cracks. Thank You, James (I would like to begin a thread with anyone, or others that have this obsolete cartridge). I also have all the load data and I had to pay for it from a European site.I am having difficulty and cannot insert my photos so this is my address if you want some photos and info. jimmysabrinagmail.com Thanks,

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Suggest you anneal the brass before reloading, down to below the mid point. Usually brass cracking or splitting upon firing indicates an oversized chamber.

Because an old rifle is marked xyz does not mean it has not been altered or changed over the years. Next step would be to make a chamber cast and make sure the chamber is of correct size or is not defective, like cracked or gouged.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
L
OP Offline
L
I did that on 2 cases. They still cracked during/after resizing, and were still hard as hell to resize. I sent an email about this issue also to RCBS. Hopefully next week, Bertram Brass and RCBS will contact me also with recommendations. till then I am on hold with reloading this brass. After firing the 40 rounds that I reloaded on the range, I did not have any cracks on the heads or bases, just extended the initial sizing crack in the center larger. I am going to look into different makers of 6,5x70R dies. All of the makers might have different tolerances.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These are not high pressure rounds you should be able to just use something like a 6.5 Grendel die to size enough of the neck to hold the bullet. Then if the brass gets hard to chamber just run it into your 6.5x70 FL die a little at a time until it chambers again.

In tried some Bertram brass in my 6.5x58R ànd it would split on the first firing.and I had to anneal it before I could load it the first time. The stuff I got was hard and brittle and very thin... I had much better luck making brass from 9.3x72R, a lot of work but it ended up being much better than the Bertram stuff.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
L
OP Offline
L
First of all, I will be calling Bertram Brass USA tomorrow to see what their Aussies have to say about it. For the price I paid for this ammo it should be in better tolerances and thicker for all makers of 6,5x70R dies. Second, I understand it is an obsolete cartridge, but if you have a world wide business, you would want to make good stuff to stay in business. Third, did they test this brass and run it through multiple die's for defects before selling. Forth, after fully sized and trimmed, through hell on my tendons,muscles, re-loader, and numerous stuck cartridges,the brass fits perfect and bullet fits perfect and snug, I can pull it out with my little pinky finger nail, which I am purposely growing for this drilling, I still have to deal with the small crack. I bought this brass so I can reload to save money.

Now lets talk about you making brass out of 9,3x72R. Does the 6,5x58R/9,3x72R have the same head size as the 6,5x70R? Who makes the 9,3x72R brass that you used?
All I want is brass that does not crack while loading, and after shooting, and can expect to reload many times after. My old bones hurt for days after sizing this brass from Bertram. The 40 rounds fired at the range was a breeze to resize.But your right about the thickness in the brass, much better for reloading and no cracks for longevity.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Post a picture of your new brass alongside a piece of unsized once fired brass and a piece of the cracked brass. Trying to imagine from your description of the problem is hard às I've never heard of brass cracking in the middle from sizing. Firing yes, sizing no.

Make mine a Minaska

L
OP Offline
L
Pic of new brass,crack while sizing, larger crack after firing.

Attached Images
L
OP Offline
L
Maybe a better pic

Attached Images
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What cartridge are you loading for? You bought 6.5x70 brass and dies and then cut a half inch off the case. Is this basic brass that needs to be trimmed to 70mm?

If so I'd trim first then size and then only size enough for the brass to chamber. It sounds like you have a large chamber. The 9.3x72 Brass I use has a much larger head for the 6.5x58R Sauer.

Last edited by erich; 04/29/24.

Make mine a Minaska

L
OP Offline
L
Yes, bought the brass from Bertram Brass USA. Has to be formed and all cases are around 76mm long, and not all all annealed. Will be buying an RCBS Rock Chucker Press. I have and old cheap Lee that has broke over the years and last time loading the 6,5x70r had to weld. Will anneal a little lower and trim before sizing. Do you recommend a better case lube than RCBS case lube?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, Imperial sizing wax.

Make mine a Minaska

L
OP Offline
L
Ordered Imperial size wax. Also attached a pic and rear mount setup of my Drilling. Had to make the rear clamp that is welded to the rear scope mount. Kahles Helia Wien Super 8x

Attached Images
IMG_0359.jpg (9.03 KB, 11 downloads)
IMG_0417(1).jpg (16.4 KB, 11 downloads)
IMG_0425.jpg (7.47 KB, 11 downloads)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (1minute, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 55 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,912
Posts18,498,260
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.