Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
nick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I am going to buy myself a 30-06 rifle and would like some opinions. First off, I confess to being a "churner" as John Barsness made me realize in his article on the 280AI in Handloader.Do not try to convince me to go with a different cartridge that can do "more" and "better", I am over 50 yrs old and I do not have a 30-06 and thats what I want dammit!! Also, I want blue steel and walnut. With this criteria in mind here is a list of rifles I am considering and would like to hear from some of you that have actually shot some of these and would like to hear your opinions on them be it good or bad.
Ruger No1 always wanted one, heard all the stories about the forend "tweaking" and such but still considering it.
CZ maybe full stock with sights but my eyes get weaker and weaker so would probably have to scope it or just buy an "American Classic?" non-full stock.
Savage Classic I hear a lot of guys put down Savage, never owned one, but all that I have shot have been accurate.
Remington in the Classic line or maybe the "Mauser" model, usually can't go wrong with Rem.
Ruger M77 never had or shot one.
I forgot to mention my purpose for this rifle would just be load development and hopefully some hunting.
Looking for feedback from some of ye that have actually shot any of these.I know there are a lot of other makers out there, but I've narrowed my search to these.
I guess if I were a true "churner" I would buy one of each try them all and keep what I want to do my part to help the Firearms Industry but I am not that far gone yet.
What say ye...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
700 CDL if you can like a 2-positon safety. Ruger Hawkeye if you like/prefer a 3-position safety.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you can hold out, wait for the new M70 FWT! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally am not a fan of the Remmy/Mauser. I was never really that huge of a fan when it was called Interarms Mark X, but maybe it is just me.

The Kimber 8400 is very nice, but I have not had the opportunity to shoot one. Same for the Tikka, which is a bit heavy, but nicely balanced

I am a huge fan of Mannlicher rifles, but I bet that CZ 550FS with 20" bbl in 30-06 is a bit heavy in blast, and you will loose at least a little in perfomance. An advantage to the CZ is the neat-o set trigger, though.

Te Remmy CDL is very pretty and I have a secret lust for the LSS MOuntain gun version, but not enough "buckage" to get one. Opinions will vary, but they are great rifles, IMHO.

Have not had an opportunity to even handle the "new" Ruger M77, but it would be a solid performer, and right in the same price range as the CZ.

The Savage action will never win a beauty contest, and there ar emany, and I have been one, that remembers when they sold it as cheap as they could possibly get it with wood straight from Home-Depot or found floating in the nearest lake, and a LOT of cheap tin in non-critical areas. Do not less this dissuade you, as guns since the 90's are much better made, and though tht action ain't as pretty or as smooth, those darn thing shoot. So much so, I was thinking of one myself!

The Howa (not mentioned) is also known as the Weatherby Vanguard and is another that seems to get little attention, but is actually a very-very accurate gun, Sub-MOA version or not.

I would kind of avoid the Mossberg ATR/4X4. I really wanted one.....right up until I looked at it. It just does not do it for me. If you want something really cheap, then yeah, but it sounds like you are not wanting of gun of this type. Same for the low-end Savages with the tupperware-type stocks that are flat like a 2x4 and flex in the hand. Pay a little more and get the wood stock classic version or one with a decent stock, for good ness sake.

did that help or just stir the pot some more? (grin)

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
skip the remmy and ruger . if you want accurcy out of the box and low price go with the Vanguard. you will never regreat it.

IC B2

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Hawkeye gets my vote for Blued Steel and Walnut in 30-06.

BM

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shoot, i'd look for a model 70 push feed in appropriate mufti ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Vanguard would be hard to beat for the money. however, my approach would be to find the action of your choice and have douglas screw on a new tube, say a CM in a #2 countour at 24" and you would be good to go.

I have a win 70 take-off bbl, as new, in 30-06, with a teflon finish that I would sell for $50 if that floats your boat.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i've had 30-06s' in the following - rem 700 adl, bdl, and sps stainless; win model 70 stainless/synthetic; and ruger mk2. i sold all of them except the ruger. on my ruger mk2 i free floated the barrel, adjusted the trigger down to 3 lbs and glass bedded the wood. the gun shoots factory federal 180gr partitions into an inch and easily takes elk and deer. as one who is also over 50, i was looking to simplify my life and get my number of rifles down to just what i think i NEED for all my hunting. the 06 does exactly that. i'd say try a ruger mk2 or hawkeye. you won't be disappointed. good luck

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Congrats on picking a fine all around cartridge and sticking to your guns (so to speak).

Ruger, either #1 (I want one also), or 77..... Very nice guns for the money, and any I have are shooters.

Savage Classic.... Very nice guns, I dont own one, but have heard they are excellent shooters.

CZ...... American Classic.... Very nice.... Wont regret it.

All of your options will serve you well. I do feel the Remington CDL are a fine choice also.

All basic guns that will serve a hunter for a long time

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If you want something ina 30'06 that says "Classic," I can of nothing that will say it better than a Ruger No.1.
Other runner ups would be the better stock M70's if you can find one, the wood stockered Kimbers, or the better stocked Remingtons in that order.
A single shot has a special charm. Not for the drag it through the mud and bounce it off the rocks type hunter. At least not for most of them.
I prefer the M70/Ruger/Kimber and Mauser 98 actions over the push feeds like the Savages/Remingtons/Tikkas and Vanguards. They will work when other actions quit.
I wouldn't go for something on the light side, like the Kimbers or some of the Remingtons unless you are sure they will work for you.
I've seen lots of Savages that shot very well. I do not like their action design. Unless you get their Accu-Trigger, which, in spite of it's press, does have a little creep besides being a two stage trigger, I wouldn't consider one. Not if you want something really nice. E

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
1st choice: Pre-64 model 70 winchester featherweight.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/C...ern-Bolt-Auto-Single/Model-70/Pre-64.htm

2nd Choice: Kimber 8400 Straight stock.

3rd Choice: CZ 550 American or CZ 550 with bavarian stock for a
Taller person.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've owned and shot almost all the rifles you've mentioned in .30-06 (except the Mannlicher.....which I'll explain).

The Ruger Number 1 is a great rifle and one every gun nut needs to own at least once, but it is definitely a "specialty" weapon. A single shot rifle is good in the hands of an experienced shooter, but not as versitile as a bolt action. Also, since load development was mentioned.....getting a Number 1 to shoot well is much harder than a typical bolt gun. I'd rule it out unless it's the looks and style that are important to you.

A full stock Mannlicher rifle has appeal.....but not a carbine in .30-06. I've never owned a .30-06 carbine, but I did (several years ago) take 26" barreled .30-06 and cut it back an inch at a time to 18".....just to see what would happen to velosity. Whe you get below 22" the loss in velosity is such that what you are basically shooting is a .308 with a big fireball at the muzzle and a tremendous blast. For a Mannlicher carbine, I went with a .308. If you are thinking of a full stocked RIFLE with a 22" barrel.....that's a different animal. A full rifle lenght Mannlicher is just soooooo sexy....like a pair of long legs peeking out from a short skirt. Might be a good choice.

The Savage is......ugly, but in recent years thay have improved that a little and there is probably no factory rifle that is as consistantly accurate out of the box. I'd probably not go that way....but it's a personal thing as to the looks.

I will say up front that I am a controlled feed, Mauser kind of guy (no real solid reason why....I just feel better with that type action). I always liked the Mark X (Remington) and it would do nicely.

I also like the Ruger 77, Mark II (close to a Mauser action as produced today) and if you've never owned one.....that's another reason to go there. Never handled or shot a Hawkeye, but it looks like a remade Model 77 to me......and I'm still pissed about Ruger messing with my mind. A "Ruger Hawkeye" is a single shot pistol based on the Blackhawk frame......not a rife!!!

If it were me.....I'd probably look for a Ruger 77 (Mark II), and if you were to stock it in a rifle length Mannlicher stock, I'd be in love.

Also as to the choice of blued steel and walnut........thank God there are still some shooters with taste. Only way to go in my opinion.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
there is a Sako in the free classifieds , check it out..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the ruger #1A is one of the smoothest-shooting 30-06s i have owned. mine was made before ruger began making their own barrels, and i had issues with accuracy. i sent it back to ruger, they changed the barrel, changed the forend hanger (actually cut it off and rewelded it in the correct position), and replaced the trigger, all for free. it shot okay afterward. some #1s shoot good, others don't. i think the newest ones with the ruger-made hammer-forged barrels are the best #1s ever made. my new 7x57 drives tacks.

the ruger m77mkii is one of the best bolt-action rifles ever made because the CRF action is smooth as silk and dead reliable. i own several. if you get one, plan on tweeking the barrel channel at the forend tip to obtain best accuracy (either floating the barrel or firming-up the pressure point). also plan on tweeking the trigger to make it lighter and smoother. some other rifles have better triggers from the factory and some have better barrel/forend bedding, but none are prettier or smoother than the ruger m77mkii. if you want blued steel, get the m77mkii instead of the hawkeye because the hawkeye doesn't really look like blued steel. the mkii has the best polish and bluing you will find in a factory finish. the hawkeye might be a little better as a hunting gun because the finish is dull and non-reflective, but the mkii is prettier.

CZs are heavy and clunky, the bolt doesn't allow a scope to be mounted low enough, and the bolt binds worse than any other gun i've handled.

remingtons are okay, i suppose, but they're not CRF. my favorite is the m700 classic series.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I didn't get the impression thatt price was a big issue but thewae are all what I regard as good values.Good luck with your choices.

1. A pre-64 FW would do it as good as anything. Yes I have some and no they are not for sale.

2. I believe the prettiest wood/blue '06's were the early pushfeed featherweights that had the iron sights. The wood and bluing was better than what I saw later.

3. The early Remington mountain rifles are graceful and classic and I like the foreend tip.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Consider a Tikka T3 also.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
A thirty ought what? Never heard of it. smile

Find a nice pre 64 Model 70 in the weight of your choice and never look back.

Wayne

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J. C. Higgins Model 50 or 51.

Often found for $200-$300 in pawn shops.

Bruce

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by southtexas
If you can hold out, wait for the new M70 FWT! grin

That's what I'm a doin.

GB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 56 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,981
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.