Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 32 of 66 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 65 66
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Can't believe this has gone to 60 pages plus. Good Gawd guys, get on with it and let this die.

Why - because you're tired of it? It is obvious that others are not. May I suggest you simply not click the link?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't. Steelhead says he can. YMMV

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It'd be out of the question for me... not even debateable.

YMMV.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jeff-
Your best post ever!
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Can't believe this has gone to 60 pages plus. Good Gawd guys, get on with it and let this die.

Change your preferences to more posts per page. I have "only" 13 pages of this! crazy

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Have had no problems cycling a round into a Savage 99 and busting a deer. Can't comment on 75 yards though, the two I did it with last year were at 40 and 20 yards.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, see? It's not the same, is it? ..grins!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Steelhead, how many deer tags can you get, out of curiousity? And what general region do you hunt?

Alaska overall is a 65% tag for deer, or it was in 2003. I've never hunted a 65% tag. I've hunted a 45% doe tag, and it was an absolute gimmee for anyone with any skill willing to hunt a little.

I submit that you are hunting a high-percentage tag in Hunting Paradise and it's a little disingenious to extrapolate that to us downtrodden masses hunting a low-percentage, single buck tag.

If all my hunting was like the 45% tag I mentioned... heck.. I might hunt empty-chamber just to add a little challenge to things.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Following your math then about 4 out 10 deer should also run when I chamber a round or wave blue, it ain't so.

I have said it before, it has worked for me on whitetail in at least 6 states also.

What is the percentage of Alaskan's killing 4x4's? I figure that should change the equation.

Dude, NONE of the deer are running away when I chamber a round.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Shot this whitetail at 25 yards. When he came into view and started working a scrape I chambered a round.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I guess shooting wolves in the rain forest of SE Alaska is a LOW percentage deal. Yep, no round in the chamber when I saw this bitch.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That rifle was a long time ago. wink

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Noticed the wood and lack of turrets did ya........

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
If you say so.

Thinking of the two deer I was able to whack in Oregon this last year, the little bedded buck saw me and started to get up just as I shot him. I'm glad I didn't have to chamber for him. The doe was trotting, and was a mature old doe that I had to do a triple-take on to make sure it wasn't a buck. She had that old-deer chest protrusion and everything; big deer.

Anyway either of them would have been unneccesarily more difficult if I'd had to chamber. The little buck might have turned into a running shot. The doe, I would not have been able to calmly triple-check the lack of horns, then shoot her in the last available shooting lane, if I'd been cranking a round into the chamber...

That's just me. This isn't worth fighting about (again... and again... and again...) It's just one of those things I guess.

Have a good one!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The bear are pretty spooky and quick to run but I some how managed to get one shoved in the tube on this on at 70 yards (did I mention he was looking directly at me)...

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
This should snap ya. Had to dig the gun out of my pack, hold the rod under my pit and chamber a round...

[Linked Image]

I realize that ain't fair since there is probably a 67.12457% on halibut over 50 pounds.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Remember JO, just cuzz you can't do it don't mean it can't be done and done well.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Remember JO, just cuzz you can't do it don't mean it can't be done and done well.

I do know that; it's one of life's lessons everyone who's anyone learns.

Please remember, however, that I never said that people shouldn't hunt cold chamber. Those sorts of negative pronouncements have only come from the cold-chamber crowd, and a lot of this thread was generated by the hot-carry crowd basically defending their right to hunt. Instead, I have steadfastly maintained that a good gun handler can hunt with a hot chamber, and that there are good reasons, for some of us it seems, to do so. Maybe one of those good reasons is that I'm not the hunter someone else is- fair enough. But, since I AM a good gun handler and responsible adult, I will cheerfully hunt hot to maximize my chances of tagging an Oregon blacktail buck.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Hunting cold trumps every reason you have given for hunting hot. So a deer gets away, big deal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen

Please remember, however, that I never said that people shouldn't hunt cold chamber. Those sorts of negative pronouncements have only come from the cold-chamber crowd, and a lot of this thread was generated by the hot-carry crowd basically defending their right to hunt. Instead, I have steadfastly maintained that a good gun handler can hunt with a hot chamber, and that there are good reasons, for some of us it seems, to do so. Maybe one of those good reasons is that I'm not the hunter someone else is- fair enough. But, since I AM a good gun handler and responsible adult, I will cheerfully hunt hot to maximize my chances of tagging an Oregon blacktail buck.
-jeff

Don�t forget that some members of the �carry hot� crowd were making ridiculous statements to the effect that if you choose to carry cold you shouldn�t be in the field.

Overall there are times when it is appropriate to carry hot and even more times when the difference between a cold or a hot chamber is moot with regard to putting game on the ground. With deference to the terrain others hunt, I can honestly say I don�t think there is an animal I�ve killed that would have lived it I had had a cold chamber (and in fact I often did).

There is one thing a hot chamber can never be, no matter how good and conscientious the hunter � it can never be as safe as a cold chamber when it comes to accidental or negligent shootings. That doesn�t make cold the right way or even the best way for all circumstances, it�s just a statement of fact.

When hunting with others around I prefer cold chambers all around.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 32 of 66 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (117LBS, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 47 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,920
Posts18,518,786
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.