Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I'm sure you do! What's not to like!! It's a LEUPOLD!!!

til later

GB1

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrocksDad
Oregoncoot, to have the ability to be that close to Leupold would be a no brainer for buying their product. Has to be nice to be that close.

The Sightron's as said in this post are made in Japan and imported and serviced by Sightron in Youngsville NC.

I have called and made suggestions and asked many many questions and they have been simply wonderful to deal with. I haven't had to return any of my Sightron Scopes to them for service but have heard from many that the service has been great.

Hope this helps

Rob

In the compacts they make a 2.5-10 with 4" eye relief @ 10.9 OZ
and a 4X32 with 4.5+ " of eye relief @ 9.3 oz.

I have the 2.5-10 but don't have nor have I used the 4X32 but from a glass and durability standpoint they have been awesome for their price point.

I should be getting the 4X32 in about a week and the FXIII 6X42 is suppose to be here tomorrow so in time I will do a comparison on the 2. Obviously not apples to apples since the Leupold is 6X42 and the Sightron is 4X32 but, will try to sort out the info I can.

Again have fun

Rob

Hi Rob!

Could you please post more of your impressions regarding the Sightrons (both the 2.5-10 and the 4x) here when you can?

I am quite interested in another low-power scope with long eye relief for my .375 H&H (ever since I let a guy shoot the rifle, and my scope cut him so bad I had a hulluva time getting all the blood of my rifle!). These scopes with their long eye relief (and your glowing report of the company) sound interesting! smile

I am particularly interested in the reticle: I hope it is real bold duplex (I'd prefer a genuine German 4 reticle like my Swarovski and Zeiss scopes, but a bold duplex is the next best thing!).

John

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Rob,
I too have a sightron 4x32 on order--or I should say backorder. I'm hearing it'll take two weeks. If you get yours first, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

I have used a burris short mag 3x9. It did have long eye relief, but it was picky about head position and the view had a slightly rounded fisheye look to my eyes--especially towards the top end of the magnification range. It was nice and compact and made for a handy rifle, but I ended up getting rid of it. It might be that a straight 4x burris short mag would be quite different. It did not come with a particularly heavy crosshair.

Last edited by Ella; 03/20/08.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ella
Rob,
I too have a sightron 4x32 on order--or I should say backorder. I'm hearing it'll take two weeks. If you get yours first, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

I have used a burris short mag 3x9. It did have long eye relief, but it was picky about head position and the view had a slightly rounded fisheye look to my eyes--especially towards the top end of the magnification range.

Ella:

This is exactly the sort of thing (head position being critical and fisheye look) that does not show up in formal specifications, and the sort of thing that I'd sure like to hear about from Rob and yourself when you have the chance!

john

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
After a few problems with variables I have gone back to fixed scopes and find them more reliable. There are some really small fixed scopes out there that really do great duty on a small rifle. I am a bit of a short rifle fanatic.

The old straight tube Burris 4X compact was and is a gem. One sits on my wife's Rem 600 in 6mm Rem the same scope has also sat on my 6.75 pound 358 Norma with no issues..a rifle which has trashed 3 other scopes, a Redfield, a Leupold and a Simmons.

The Leupold 2.5X is also a really nice scope very light and it is holding down 358 Norma duties for the last 200 rounds or so.

The Weaver and Leopold fixed 3X's are also very good, the Weaver version sits atop my Savage 99 in 284 If you can find a Leupie in 3X they have a fantastic status with some. The Burris compact 6X is on my wife's micro medallion in 223 and has been a great little scope that looks great on a light walking gun.

An old 1.5X Weaver holds down duty on my 450 Marlin guide gun, a 4X Leupold Compact on my Rem 660 in 6.5 Rem Mag is a good fit and a Weaver 1-3X is my lone variable on my Rem 660 350 Rem Mag.

Don't put a big scope on a little gun. It cancels out the handiness advantages of the short guns. I'd trade all the above scopes ( Except the Leupie 2.5X) for older model Burris mini 4X's. They are that good!

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Don't think I'm gonna spend the $ for the Kahles, I'm a little nervous about the bolt clearing the eyepiece as well. So it's either the Leupold or Sightron. Which one?!

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have the Sightron 4x. It is a good clear scope with good eye relief. It is SHORT however, and you won't have much room even on a short action. They eye piece/ rear bell is big and takes up a lot of room. There is just enough room to fit your rings and if it doesn't line up with your mounts, too bad. Even on some short actions, it is very tight and pretty inflexible.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sounds like the Leupie Compact fits a whole lot better, as usual.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RickyD
Rather than a "real" compact, I'd put a 1.75x6x32 VXIII or a 2.5x8x36 VXIII on it. Yeah, they're Leupolds.

Those would be my choices too......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Cossatotjoe, is the eyepiece on the sightron causing you bolt handle clearance problems? This is something I want to avoid and my impression was that the eyepiece was small compared to the Elites and Conquests. Is Leupold the scope for a small eyepiece?

"Don't put a big scope on a little gun. It cancels out the handiness advantages of the short guns."

I'm in this camp. North 61, what kind of eye relief do those Burris 4x scopes have?

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The eyepiece on the Sightron is the same size as the Leupold. However, the tube length (and OAL) is about an inch shorter than the comparable Leupolds. That can cause problems on some rigs.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Ella,it might help if you could give the measurement from outside to outside of your rings when mounted at there closets setting.

til later

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
I have the Sightron 4x. It is a good clear scope with good eye relief. It is SHORT however, and you won't have much room even on a short action. They eye piece/ rear bell is big and takes up a lot of room. There is just enough room to fit your rings and if it doesn't line up with your mounts, too bad. Even on some short actions, it is very tight and pretty inflexible.

Cossatojoe and VAnimrod:

Good point about the tube length. I had temporarily forgotten that! I will get out the tape measure before placing my order!

John

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You can get some idea as to how critical the eye relief on a given scope by reading the specs on it. If it has a fixed eye relief, the eye relief varies very little as the magnification changes, it is going to have a more critical eye relief than a non fixed eye relief scope. The wider the range of eye relief, the larger the eye box or the more non citical the scope's eye relief will be. The shorter the overall eye relief of the magnification range is on a non fixed eye relief scope, the more critical it's eye relief will be, etc.
I can't quantify this. Just general tendencies I've noticed in playing with lots of different scopes over the last several years. E

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Eremicus

I can't quantify this. Just general tendencies I've noticed in playing with lots of different scopes over the last several years. E

You can't quantify anything, and oh yeah you haven't played with many scopes - you like to talk about scopes you've never touched before however. Good to have you back in action to start stirring the pot again, it would be a shame if people could actually have a pleasant conversation around here . . .

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
If at all possible anymore I try to determine E/R by actually handling the scope rather than going by the specs. As an example,the Sightron l 3x9 I bought last summer has no where near the E/R the specs read. It's still a very nice scope,just not for a hard kicker. Some scopes simply by their reputation for good E/R seem to work out. Somewhere on the optics forum was a discussion about,I believe a Burris Compact maybe,that the specs read of a very short E/R but the poster said that wasn't the case at all. I rather be safe than sorry and either see for myself or have someones hands on experience.
This applies not only to E/R but to all facets of a scope!

til later

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD
Rather than a "real" compact, I'd put a 1.75x6x32 VXIII or a 2.5x8x36 VXIII on it. Yeah, they're Leupolds.

I own both those scopes as well as four 2x7s. I would recommend any of them. Some of the compacts are too short.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, for another answer, you can just slap a Leupie straight 4x on there. It is plenty compact, has an easy mounting length, great eyebox, and only weighs 9.3 or 9.8 ounces. Tough to beat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can get some idea as to how critical the eye relief on a given scope by reading the specs on it.

No, really, you can't. You actually need to look through them (which I know is against your religion).
If it has a fixed eye relief, the eye relief varies very little as the magnification changes, it is going to have a more critical eye relief than a non fixed eye relief scope. The wider the range of eye relief, the larger the eye box or the more non citical the scope's eye relief will be.

Wrong. False. Incorrect. Just as it was the first 2000 times you said it and were corrected on it.
Just general tendencies I've noticed in playing with lots of different scopes over the last several years. E

No it's not. It's something you made up. We all know how many of these scopes you badmouth you've actually "played with."

You originally didn't understand the numbers in Leupold's specs, thinking they were eyebox measurements not how much the eye relief changes. After being corrected you have simply made up the connection between moving eye relief and non-critical eye relief on any given power. It's like checking your oil by looking at your gas gauge.

Tell me, does your Leupold Compact 3-9 (the one with such a lousy eyebox) have fixed eye relief? Then why is it so bad? Do you really think all fixed eye relief scopes are worse than this?

That's what you get for not looking.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
You can get some idea as to how critical the eye relief on a given scope by reading the specs on it. If it has a fixed eye relief, the eye relief varies very little as the magnification changes, it is going to have a more critical eye relief than a non fixed eye relief scope. The wider the range of eye relief, the larger the eye box or the more non citical the scope's eye relief will be. The shorter the overall eye relief of the magnification range is on a non fixed eye relief scope, the more critical it's eye relief will be, etc.

Nothing further needs to be said, you look like a complete idiot for this batch of lies, seriously do you think people believe you? How wide of a range of eye relief does the Leupold 6x have, or that's right it's fixed like it's power - that pretty much goes against what you preach . . .

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

427 members (21, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 35 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,776
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.