Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I came out of it thinking that the only way I'd do that hunt again would be to be horse-packed in like JDK. At least then, you are starting the day out where you want to be!

True thing. And at the end, if you're desperate enough, you can tag the horse! :-)

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dude... could happen! I don't even like the damn things.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We had a coupla horses when I was in high school. I like them. As family pets they're pretty cool. I was never a real comfortable or enthusiastic rider, somehow my sister's wound up with the riding "duties" and I wound up with the shovel. :-(

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm around them a lot; we take care of our neighbor's when she's gone, etc.

I don't hate 'em, but they don't move me!

I will probably take some riding lessons this summer to get ready for getting packed into that big ol' canyon this fall <g>. That would probably be a BAD time to start the learning process.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Jeff I will bet your ridding mules and they are pretty easy to ride.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The outfitter said that there are whole stretches you can get off and just walk alongside the mules and horses if you want... says a lot of guys do that to rest their knees. It hurts your knees to ride a horse!?

Sounds like an adventure. I'm all about adventure. To turn things back towards the intent of this thread, the whole idea is to NOT worry about the firearm... NOT spend the money on guns and gack... but rather spend it to get in deep into relatively unpressured elk.

The outfitter says we'll never see another hunter, and any shots we hear will be from one of the guys in our camp. I like that! Plus, in that steep country, to have someone who will go get your elk out of whatever hole it dies in is pretty cool too.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Jeff you should consider some bike cycle shorts to wear under your pants if your not used to the saddle we did that to avoid the chafering that comes from ridding when you do not do it very much the padding was nice too and nobody but us knew we had them on grin. Yep I will be waiting for the stories and pictures make sure you have lots of batteries your going to have a busy fall...

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Knock on wood, Good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise...

I'm trying really hard NOT to be preoccupied with firearms... other than practicing with what I got.

Then again I know that what I got is serious elk medicine, overkill really, so that helps <g>.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I stop eating and breathing regularly you can call it preoccupation!

NRA Lifetime Member
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The bicycle shorts help alot. If you have any prostate problems, the padding helps that also. If not the shorts, at least wear poly long johns. Anything that helps you slide.

Years ago, guys use to wear panty hose,but you sure didn't want to be seen with them.

Sore knees can happen, but correctly adjusted stirrup length and sccabard placement can help. Too short of stirrup length is the most common culprit

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Saddlesore, I'm 42 years old.

At my age, guys are in complete denial about even the POSSIBILITY of prostate problems!

:-)

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Trust me, 8 hrs in the saddle and when you get off,you will wonder why that thing won't work. Before you got on,you could probably write your name in the snow. After, you will have probles just gettin your initials done.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
All,

Eight hours in the saddle without a walk-stretch-piss-grub-drink break is way too long.

Particularly if it's not your own a good saddle horse or mule you are familiar with..and it with you..and the saddle and stirrups are fitted for some other person..you'd be lucky to walk unaided after eight hours...let alone function or hunt..or deal effectively with a camp whore..:)

Olson..42?...:)You ain't even seen age or pain yet..:) Jim

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's what you old codgers keep telling me, but, I'm in denial.

You know my legs feel great the last year or so. I think skiing hard the last 3 seasons has really helped my bad hip, ironically.

I would imagine the groin muscles are gonna be SORE for a guy not used to riding, eh?

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Saddlesore I was going to mention the nylons but didn't want to be known as a girly girl but I hear they work although

I have a friend who has logged all over the US we were having dinner at a bachelor party for a buddy there were about 20 guys carring on and talking it was pretty rowdy and he started talking about logging in the south and being in water all day and he was saying that they bought all the nylons out that the local 7-11 and were them every day for 3 weeks about that time I looked around the table it was dead silent half the guys had a fork stopped in mid air a bunch had drinks half the way to their face and all eys were on him. It was the funnier than heck he had to explain it all over again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My oldest daughter had this friend, Carl, who used to come over to our rural property to play. Living in the woods, play dates are what it's all about; no real neighborhood.

It all ended when they were about 5 years old, and little Carl mentioned needing new panties to his dad.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
lol I can understand that. grin!!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I found this video of Saddlesore, Jeff O, and ehunter in elk camp..:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sp9sVReIis

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hey Jim you had to be behind the camara and I think that was Jeff the lead singer in the glasses grin!!! grin Boy those bos had moves I think Saddlesore all those log tripping trips paid off nice You were really grooving there. LOL

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
ehunter, nothing like an adult beverage to limber up an old saddlehunter after 8 hours on a horse in rough country..:)
and now you've seen Jeff O at his best after a day's hunting..:)Jim

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,269 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,086
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.