Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BCBrian

It's not fair to compare the Canada of today with some mythical non-existent utopia - that never was.

So what if it's not fair? Thousands of years ago there were cultures and societies that far surpassed Canada of today. Those utopias existed for thousands of years...clearly the artifacts of the past are more than evidence of that fact.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
n007 , dont u have some parade that u need to be rehearsing for ? so why dont u dress up in your cute little outfit and and skip along buddy.I guess u live in the right place if your a queer hunter , might find more of your kind down there.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Many of you guys really do strike me as "glass-half-empty" kind of guys.

I'm a "wow-glass-is-half-full" kind of guy.

Canada has NEVER in recorded history been as well off. Most of the Canadians listed as "poor" today - are living lives that most people in the thirties could only dream about.

We have a standard of living today that is the envy of the world.

If course we have problems and things we can work towards making better. BUT - when you compare the lives we live in Canada today - versus the lives other people have lived, in other eras, and in other countries - we lives lives of incredible splendor.

It's not fair to compare the Canada of today with some mythical non-existent utopia - that never was.

Compared to REAL countries - in other real periods of history - Canada is a better place to live in now - than any other country, any place, at any time in history. The "good 'ole days" when viewed objectively - never were.

Some of you guys remind me of the "how-bad-the-world-is-today" guys who used to knock on my door, Bible in hand, until I put up a coded gate. Their historical ignorance of world history in part eras was astounding - to say the least.

Lighten up - and celebrate our greatness.

We have SO MUCH to be grateful for!

+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by n007
Since there are so many better places in the world to live than Canada, and since you are so unhappy living here, then I suggest you move ASAP so you can start enjoying life.

I think you miss the point here .... Most Canadians, including the posters on this thread, are quite content to live here in Canada because of the high standard of living we enjoy, but then that's the point, they don't want to see that standard of living to decay and or change. They see the Canada of today being quite different then the one we grew up in and in alot of cases, not for the better. We are having the values of other forced upon us and we don't like it.

Kute was one of these people who objected to this kind of change to the Canada that he obviously loved. While I didn't understand/agree with the way he might verbalize his thoughts, I fully agreed with his views on multiculturalism and how it IS destroying this country.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mickey-

If you get to the "end" here and see this post, I apologize for the remark I made in response to you earlier today. I wrote it in a hurry and when I reread it it seemed rude and didn't communicate what I wanted.

Kute didn't make me think because of his comments; there is nothing really original with his opinions. There are many who feel the same way to a lesser or greater degree.

What I "felt uncomfortable" about was the jumping on when a guy whose views (rightly or wrongly) were strongly voiced either left on his own or was booted.

Gdv

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How about we lobby Rick for a section titled - BrokeBack Hunters- then have n007 moderate it , that way him and all his fudge packer buddies have a place to hang together and live out their common fantasies.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I can remember when the road up the Fraser River Canyon was one and half lanes with cantilevered wooden bridges hanging off the cliffs. It took a day to reach Clinton from Vancouver and another 6 hours to get to Williams Lake.

People in Vancouver didn't know we existed and left us to our own devices. Now they want us to live their way without knowing, understanding or caring about the differences.

Last Fall I had a lady from White Rock ask me where the Latte stand was in Horsefly. crazy

Muticulturism hasn't worked anywhere in the World so why would anyone think it will work here?

Goodnews

No worries, you should have seen the way my Horse insulted me today.

Last edited by mickey; 05/20/08.

Mickey

"Instead of getting married again I am just going to find a women I don't like and give her a house"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Latte stand is at the cafe on the end of that little mall across from the old school - it's called "coffee, black".

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Gee so many blame Kute or someone for all the wild posts but you guys are doin fine without any help. Keep going this is a riot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunbug
Gee so many blame Kute or someone for all the wild posts but you guys are doin fine without any help. Keep going this is a riot

So I guess with everything shutting down in your home town your getting desperate for some entertainment?? Why not join in you fellows from McKenzie have a wry sense of humour do you not?

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
n007 , question for u , me and my buddy are going on a brokeback , sorry i mean a backpack hunt , can u suggest a bag that can fit 2 guys as we want to cut down a little weight and thought this might work for us , a tight fit is ok , wink wink.Thought u might have some experience in this field.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
The Latte stand is at the cafe on the end of that little mall across from the old school - it's called "coffee, black".

I told her they had a Starbucks at the Likely Hilton. Just down the road and around the corner a bit. whistle

Mickey

"Instead of getting married again I am just going to find a women I don't like and give her a house"
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Not shutting down dude it is shut down but i always keep my sense of humor as i know for a fact there are many millions way worse off then me. Besides i got guns ,reloading ,fishing and these forums for entertainment it doesn't get any better Regards Dan

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I told her they had a Starbucks at the Likely Hilton. Just down the road and around the corner a bit.

Heh, heh, yes the one with the riverview - downtown... wink

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter

So what if it's not fair? Thousands of years ago there were cultures and societies that far surpassed Canada of today. Those utopias existed for thousands of years...clearly the artifacts of the past are more than evidence of that fact.

Not sure which societies you are referring to. Just having a few beautiful artifacts is not proof the society which made them is one I or many here would care to live in. A lot of these old societies were very class oriented and based on slavery. Making a few artifacts may have been neat for those who could afford them but how many of these societies suffered from real hardships such as periods starvation, lack of opportunities to advance beyond ones position at birth etc etc .

As for the change in Canadian society there have been periods in our not so distant past when many of the nationalities we now accept as fine contributing members of Canadian society were subject to the same feelings some hold for recent immigrants. Central Europeans during the 1920's 1930's . Italians in the 1950's and 1960's are a few examples. THe KKK was quite a strong force here directing its hate against Catholics, central europeans etc. Some notable politicians of the day campaigned on what was clearly a hate based platform.

Before we glorify the good old days we should know what they really meant for many people.

I grew up in an area which had many different nationalities. There were clusters of British , French metis, Germans, Norwegians, Ukrainians, Russians and Romanians. Each was a few miles in size and in the 1950's they were just beginning to mix. Today most people have several different national backgrounds in their ancestry.

Murf
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Since there are so many better places in the world to live than Canada, and since you are so unhappy living here, then I suggest you move ASAP so you can start enjoying life.

I think you miss the point here .... Most Canadians, including the posters on this thread, are quite content to live here in Canada because of the high standard of living we enjoy, but then that's the point, they don't want to see that standard of living to decay and or change. They see the Canada of today being quite different then the one we grew up in and in alot of cases, not for the better. We are having the values of other forced upon us and we don't like it.

Kute was one of these people who objected to this kind of change to the Canada that he obviously loved. While I didn't understand/agree with the way he might verbalize his thoughts, I fully agreed with his views on multiculturalism and how it IS destroying this country.

My point was that is Canada is such a terrible place to live due to whatever is making you believe that, then it is probably best to go find a better place to live. Canada has some probems, no doubt, my point was that I still find it the best place in the world to live and I have lived in several other countries.

Our standard of living keeps increasing, perhaps not our quality of living but our standard does. As someone who grew up in Canada in the 50�s and 60�s in rural Canada there was not a lot of money around in those days. Multiculturism came into being in 1971, so I don�t see the connection between the reduced standard of living and multiculturism.

That being said I don�t agree with multiculturism either, I wish the conservatives hadn�t introduced it in 1964 and agree less with Trudeau making it policy in 1971. However they did and it seems that it will continue as Canadian policy as I don�t see any political party in Canada opposing it. What I do think will affect our standard of living is our continued immigration policy, Canada has one of the highest rates, if not the highest, of immigration per capita of any country. While Canada has a wealth of natural resources they are limited, the last political party that I know of that wanted to reduce immigration was the Reform Party, and I agreed with them.

I also agreed with a lot of what Kutenay verbalized as we are of the same generation. Canada is not the same place it was in the 50�s and 60�s and never will be again, which is too bad but probably inevitable, the whole world has gone through massive changes in the last 50 years. Canada is not immune to those changes. I will not spend my time lamenting what could or should have been, I will look to the future with optimism for me and my family and spend what worrying I do on my chances in the LEH.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Well said n007

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You know there is a bit to accepting anybody to come warm themselves at your campfire.

However, people can also overstay there welcome.

Alot of the people who were raised in a very traditional outdoors is close to god fashion have no problems with people who are different from themselves. They accept all because they develop a sort of harmony with nature.

It takes a lot to get us riled.

I have read many of the posts of Kutenay. I sense that he is legitimate and that he walks the walk and talks the talk.

What is happening in America and in Canada is a transition of generations. Many of the new generation are less likely to share the campfire but want to take your campfire away from you and then ask if you want to stay warm next to the community fire.

Then they say the fire is hurting the environment and the polar bears are going to die so you need to put out the fire. Since you weren't a natural part of the environment and that the environment belonged to the native peoples 200 years ago you need to pack up and move back to your place.

I grew up in Alaska. I developed in a way that I treat all people of different backgrounds and identities the same. However, there have been changes in the last 20-25 years that get people like Kutenay ticked off. I might just guess but I bet Kutenay would treat all people reguardless of their background the same in person. However, this forum is a place where we can vent. These things might bother younger people who were inculcated differently.

The problem with America and Canada is that we try to save everybody. Imagine a ship going down and a liferaft. You as a strong responsible person tries to pull people back on the boat. However, the last person you pull on actually overextends the boats capacity and everybody dies.

It is ironic that up near where I presently teach approximately 40-45% of the people who are working on the SDI Missile Defense Project are new immigrants from Russia. Do you think Putin is worried. Maybe. Maybe not.

I also can testify that when I was at college on the East Coast I was personally protested against because I was an identified hunter. They had a national anti-hunting day and as an Alaskan who had visible moosehorns in my dorm room I was the only target available.

Kutenay is worried with the trends and is lashing out. I think that people need to take his sparky responses as such and get him back to the fire. He kind of is like a canary in the coalmine.

I would take a passle of Kutenays before one Rev. Wright.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our standard of living keeps increasing, perhaps not our quality of living but our standard does. As someone who grew up in Canada in the 50�s and 60�s in rural Canada there was not a lot of money around in those days. Multiculturism came into being in 1971, so I don�t see the connection between the reduced standard of living and multiculturism.

That's a very good point to differentiate between our "standard" of living and our "quality" of life.

You are right to say our standard of living has increased but at the same time alot of Canadians no longer feel comfortable in their own country and this has effected in varying degrees their quality of life.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Socrates (who was put to death in 399 BC) once said:

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

The Greek philosopher Plato (who died about 347 BC) studied under Socrates. Plato complained about the youth of the day, also, saying:

"What is happening to our young
people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They
ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions.
Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

Finally, Peter the Hermit (in a sermon preached in 1274 AD) said:

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of
today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for
parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as
if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is
foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest
and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."

Ahh yes - we're going to hell in a handbasket these days - aren't we?

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1minute, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,541
Posts18,472,864
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.