Campfire Outfitter
J
WCB,
I havent seen that movie in years!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
JOE KIDD writer Elmore Leonard certainly did know something about classic firearms. From Frank Harlan's Custom Savage 99(1899), Olin Mingo's Remington-Keene sporter(1880)in .45-70, Lamarr Simms Mauser C-96(1896) broomhandle and Joe's Cased Ross Rifle sporter model M-10 (1910) in .280 Ross. Leonard took special care to ensure all weapons(even the optics)were period accurate for that movie, being set in pre-statehood New Mexico territory (1912).

Last edited by 3dtestify; 06/08/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
WCB,
I havent seen that movie in years!

About ten years ago,it seemed like it was on TV every single day.Haven't seen it in years either.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
5 internet bonus points to whomever can name the author and book that Josey Wales is based on? Hint: he was from Alabama and Politically connected in the 70's.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Forrest Carter wrote the book.IIRC,he was connected to George Wallace.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually, the movie was made from TWO books written by Forrest Carter, though since the movie was made, you can often find them packaged together. They are "The Outlaw Josey Wales", and "Gone To Texas". Forrest Carter was an outstanding writer, IMHO the equal of Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove, The Last Picture Show, Horseman Pass By (aka Hud)) and Elmore Leonard (Hombre', Valdez Is Coming, many more). Carter wrote an outstanding book about Geronimo called "Watch For Me On the Mountain" and another great book set in SE Tennessee about a Cherokee boy titled "The Education of Little Tree".

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nobody liked Coogan's Bluff? Great one liners and a lot of fast action.I can't remember the nameof the hot blonde he was boxing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lamest Clint flick? City Heat?

fave Clint flick - that is a really tough call... so many great ones (most of which you guys have already mentioned anyway)

as an aside - Firefox is a pretty cool story; it's not top shelf but worth checking out just the same

Last edited by Ivan; 06/14/08.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What is great, is that most of Clint Eastwood's movies are full of fecees... but no one gives a darn because they are so entertaining and hit upon most folks sense of right and wrong...

I never can watch the Unforgiven, without putting in Pale Rider immediately after it....

Good thing I don't have a copy of Jose Wales and Dirty Harry, or I'd be up all night watching Clint Eastwood Movies any night I just pulled one of them out.. I also have Kelly's Heroes and Where Eagles Dare on DVD also...

But an evening with Pale Rider or the Unforgiven, with a non Clint Eastwood movie on the billing, Quigley Down Under with Tom Selleck makes a man go to bed feeling good about the world...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Heck,

Bronson "Death Wish Movies"
Clint Eastwood " Man Movies" ( as Tim Allen puts it)
and Tom Selleck Movies...

Also lets not forget the Duke in his last and best movie...
"The Shootist"....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Right Turn Clyde.....

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Originally Posted by jpb

Chief Dan George was perfect in his role in Outlaw Josey Wales.

John

Chief Dan George has some of the best lines ever in movie history.I watched an interview with Clint Eastwood once-he said George couldn't remember his lines,so they just told him to do whatever he wanted.

WB.

The chief was great in that movie. Another good supporting actor used to be Strother Martin. He was good in "Hard Times" Cool Hand Luke", but here is my favorite character he did.

Strother Martin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"Heartbreak Ridge" talking about the Ridge "if they don't kill us here, they surely will break our hearts" The feeling expressed in that line brought back some very bad military memories. This movie was a cheap remake of "The Sands of Iwo Jima" in every respect except for that line.
His use of product placement (where a company pays you to show their product in the movie) in "The Gauntlet" was outrageous. There was a can of Tab cola balanced on the dashboard of the police car for most of the movie. This was a cheapskate way to get ad money from Tab. The six pack of Oly in Eiger was another. Any body know the Asian woman in Eiger and Dirty Harry?
I liked "Honky Tonk Man" and thought that it was closest to the real Eastwood. He is a vegan and far better musician than a shooter. In general I am a big fan and appreciate his work. he also hires the best location people in the business. Pale Rider and Unforgiven were great. The man is a genius.
106rr

You can't miss fast enough to win!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
106RR - "This movie [HEARTBREAK RIDGE] was a cheap remake of "The Sands of Iwo Jima" in every respect except for that line.

... he [Eastwood] also hires the best location people in the business. Pale Rider and Unforgiven were great."

PALE RIDER was just a very thinly disguised remake of SHANE. Even some of the lines and scenes were lifted from the flick, SHANE.

Don't know if Eastwood is a "vegan" or not, but he despises hunters and hunting, and expressed those sentiments in a long feature interview of him in the Los Angeles Times' Sunday Calendar section, several years ago.

He's also no great friend of the Second Amendment, although he owns quite a few firearms. Okay for him and his buds in "the Business" but not for you and me.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeeeee Haaaaaaw. Yessir on Clint and Heartbreak ridge. I swear the charactor was portrayed off of one of my company gunnies in the Marine Corps (UHH RAHH Semper Fi) he had the exact raspy way of talking, but I guess a lot of old core gunnies sounded like that from all the smoking drinking and yelling - nuff said

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dang, I been hitting the video stores and cant find "Sudden
Impact" and "Perfect World" anywhere. See what you guys started.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joe Kidd was the Eastwood movie I liked the most. However Unforgiven, The Outlaw Josey Wales and Heartbreak Ridge are right in there to.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by AMRA
Outlaw Josey Wales, I went to the Movie House 23 times to see it
when it first come out! The only movie I have seen more times is my all time Number 1 " Jeremiah Johnson "
AMRA

+1

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Clint is awfully good, but he is NOT John Wayne. smile

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No one has mentioned "Bronco Billy" yet!

I'd have to give a thumbs up to Unforgiven as his best with Outlaw a close 2nd.

Really liked Hang'em High! and Joe Kidd too.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (204guy, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,767
Posts18,515,406
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.