Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
100% know the woods sounds like the game you hunt. use it to YOUR advantage

+1

I hate more than anything,the peskie Whitetails stomp'in there feet at 'ya when your after Elk.Everything has a noise out there to warn others..Slow and easy,it works both ways.

Jayco

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last season had a pine squirrel blow my cover as I was getting in close to some bedded elk. I put the crosshairs on him from 25 yds away and politely informed him that he was gonna quit this life if he continued his chatter. Call it cosmic or whatever, but he got the message and actually shut up as I closed in the last 50 yds on the elk. I didn't get the elk, as I blew it by not noticing a cow bedded apart from the others, but I went back and offered some of my trail mix to the little fella as a peace offering. He came down and ate it while I stood there a few feet away. Vittles of that quality are hard to come by in the high country.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If this is the same squirrel thread that's been around a couple months that I apologize for saying this twice...

I am not a varmint hunter. Don't kill squirrels. But there's one that I tried VERY HARD to waste his hairy little rodent butt last year after he blew my stalk on an elk that was well within smelling range. Tried to go back and blow him up with my .325 but couldn't find him. Aaargh. Makes me mad just to think of that little... do-gooder miscreant.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 06/28/08.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by logcutter
100% know the woods sounds like the game you hunt. use it to YOUR advantage

+1

I hate more than anything,the peskie Whitetails stomp'in there feet at 'ya when your after Elk.Everything has a noise out there to warn others..Slow and easy,it works both ways.

Jayco

I had a good stalk on a big bull blown by a mule deer doe. She nailed me and wouldn't forget about me. I didn't have the patience I needed to wait her out and I moved one time too many. I only needed another 20 yards to make my shot but that was the end of that.

I learned though. Stalks take nothing but patience and slower is always better.

[Linked Image]
Alamosa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Then they take to dropping pine cones on you.

I had forgotten about that part.
The pinecone throwing thing often seems too well aimed to be just be considered dropped or coincidence.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's why I squirrel hunt when I'm scouting before the hunt opens. If they have been hunted, they will run up the tree and sit there silently in most cases. That and squirrel stew is good.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
some times they're amusing. wile getting ready to leave my hidey hole and taking one last look around; i was standing on the stump i sit on and this chip munk starts to scurry up the hill about 20yds below me. he makes his way to the stump i'm on then jumps up and sit's on my boot just munchin' on some thing. wile i thought that was kinda' neet, he starts crallin' up my leg. he was about to the portion of my body that he was searching for, when i start to feel violated, then i flinched thinkin' "HE'S COMIN' RIGHT FOR US". his little eyes looked as big as dimes like i was about to violate him and he'll never be the same again, maybey he will have to try to drink his sorrows away, how will he tell his family. he bailed down the hill like he was on a kamakazi mission, to be violated another day. one of the most memorable woods experiences i can remember. yet it still helps to talk about it.

Last edited by bigrocks; 08/24/08.

let me give you boys a lil' tip. you might wanna turn off that engine 'fore you go and change that there fan belt!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
In one area I hunt I carry a 12" blow gun and a few darts with me- shuts them up every time!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

418 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 280shooter, 2500HD, 38 invisible), 1,741 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,818
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.