Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
I never warmed up to a Model 7, until they came out with the stainless laminate stocked version with 20 to 22 inch barrels...

Seafire,

Agreed, although I will say that my M7 LSS was pretty butt-heavy as a 7mm-08... if that matters to a guy. Now it has a heavier, .358 tube and it balances just behind the front action screw. Here it is with one of my monster bucks:

[Linked Image]

I've gotten that rifle soaking wet scores of days, then I get home and prop it by the woodstove and don't worry about it. The stainless laminate combo sure works great in Oregon.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 07/03/08.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do like the stainless on lam in rifles, as my Sako 75 260, well-my sons......JeffO nice photo there, ever thought about Drilling out mass in butt of stock? Posted a thread perhaps last year on the subject, lots of replies, may can find it with a search.

Got it:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1945337/page/0/fpart/1

Just a thought, may have to do this Sako, I like the weight for shooting, but could be lighter to shift balance, and make handier to carry. Lam stocks seem more stable, very stable in my experience, no problems yet....yet Finn Aaggard I believe put Turtle Wax or the like on his free floated stocks, on the inside, of course you'd want to re-finish anyway if you removed varnish, but the wax would shed water/moisture and minimize problems....

And yes the McSwirleys do look nice, have PROS themselves no doubt....

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm gonna go read that thread... but... no desire to change the balance of my M7 LSS now that it's got a heavier barrel; it feels like a killin' machine now as it is!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No I would not change it if it balances well now, my 7BR was 21" w/.700 OD at muzzle, loved it, not a lightweight, but felt right. When it was a factory M7 tube, it was way too muzzle light, and likely cost me a nice Tx buck having to shoot offhand at 150yds, I know, should have been easy, but the 4-14x was cranked up as variables often are, and the wind was howling that day at around 30mpg sideways, and the balance was far too rearward, later used lighter scope and heavier tube which fixed the balance no doubt.....live/learn.

Thanks. Nice 358-that a 3-10 or 2-8?

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a 2.5x8. I had a B&C reticle put in it and have been having fun shooting it out to 400 yards.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thought that was the one you had referred in the past to, just looked a tad longer I guess in that M7 platform. Nice rig. Any elk in those woods?

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
There's elk within, I dunno, 10 miles or less of where I sit typing... but they are coastal Roosevelts and I have not yet hunted them. I go east over the mountains (Cascades) and hunt them in Eastern Oregon. I've gotten into a lot of elk but never had the right tag for the elk I was in. (They don't really give out cow tags here, or they do but it's your ONLY tag, tend to be kind of hard to get, and use up your preference points for bull tags too, etc, so I'm not real interested...)

I have carried that M7 a couple days elk hunting, loaded with 225 Partitions at 2500 fps. I was pretty damn certain it would do me proud on any elk within a couple hundred yards!

It's not a light rifle in that LSS stock so... given it's a little range-limited too, I tend to carry other things while I'm out seeing elk I can't shoot <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
You may be interested to know that the concept for the Model 7 was conceived by Aussie Writer, Nick Harvey. (Nick is one of the longest serving writers extant and is nearing 50 years as a writer amd firearms reviewer.)

Nick was a .308 Norma man for big game hunting back in the early 70's when he was sent a Miroku (Browning) lever rifle in .308, a cartridge Nick, like most of us, had stayed away from as uninspiring. He found during his tests, that it killed as well as his Norman Magnum so bought the test rifle.

A few year later he got hold of one of the Remington 660 carbines and used that for a while and continually updated it changing the stock, bolt shape and a few other things until it became a smaller version of the 700 more to his liking.

Later in the 70's Nick was invited to a Remington Seminar which was attended by some of the last generation of legends such as Elmer Keith, where he extended an invitation ro the folks at Remington to visit him for some Aussie varmint hunting. This was around '77 or '78.

When the Remington people visited and saw his Remington makeover, Nick convinced them to offer a mini 700 in a new rifle.

They did and you bought it. Interestingly, Aussies continued to stay away from the smaller cartridges and action lengths.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Model 7XCR Camo line has passed along the way of many other discontinued Model 7's but I think that, other than Custom Shop guns, it was the best of them all.

I just HAD to revive this old thread because the Model 7 is simply the finest production rifle ever made. Bar None!!!

Long Live the Model Seven! smile

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got my M7 308 almost 20 years ago because I needed something to go 200 yds and feel like carrying a BB gun all day,lotsa huntin.little shootin

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought my .308 18-1/2" bbl.Model Seven in 1992.Best Eastern whitetail rifle ever made.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Add me to this club. I've got 2:

- stainless synthetic 308 with leupold varix3 3.5-10x40 in leupold mounts. My lightweight thick woods gun and probably my favorite rifle I've ever owned. Thinking of replacing scope with a swaro 3-12x50 plex i've got sitting in a drawer - in my opinion that is the ultimate low light scope due to first focal plane reticle. Gun might look funny with outsized scope but I don't really need it to be lightweight - just deadly in thick woods at dawn and dusk.

- Model 7 action in 300 saum in McMillan Remington Hunter stock. Currently at the smith being rebarrelled, trued, squared, etc with a fluted 25" hart #5 and cerakoted matte black. Swaro 4-16x50 TDS4 in talley screwlocks. Looking forward to getting this one on some long range targets. Will post some pictures when she comes back. If she's a shooter I'm thinking of naming her Chocolate Thunder. We'll see.

Also thinking about a new build in 243 as a "truck" gun for pigs and herd management. Thinking of using the laminated takeoff stock from the saum noted above, adding a heavy-ish 20" barrel and either a leupold or swaro 6x42. Need to find an inexpensive used Model 7 for the donor action. My smith would rather me use his proprietary action - depends on how the saum noted above shoots i guess.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have there

XCR camo 708
predator 22-250
SS 223 with McMillan compact

David

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I acquired a Model 7 SS, in 7mm-08 in the mid-90s. Short, light, sweet with plenty of range. Mine is accurate also and wears a Leupold 1.5-5X. For eastern deer hunting, it's as handy as a Marlin but with the reach of a .30-06. I should sell off everything else.

The power to legislate is the power to destroy
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Long Live the Model 7. Simple & works - very well.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Another JeffObama classic........................

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It IS a nice thread, isn't it? 7 pages of polite enthusiasm for the M7, gotta love that!

Thanks for the props, VA! Your company is always a pleasure.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We may be feeling warm and fuzzy right now but some idiot will have to come along and spread a bunch of anger around. Unhappy people can't stand to see other people being happy... laugh

I have more Model Sevens than I care to admit and have been using Remington compact rifles since I saw my first Model 600 way back in the late 60's.

Remington has finally gotten it right with the Predator and XCR Camo but the run of the XCR Camo was only a year or two. There are a few pockets of them left and I just picked up a new 7mm-08 and you can buy that one out of my estate if you live long enough... grin

The Custom Shop Model 7KS is a GREAT rifle too and I've had a few of them in my time. They're very accurate and repeatable due to the custom barrels, blueprinted actions and being bedded in McMillan stocks (at one time Brown Precision).

I've had Model Sevens in 350 Rem Mag, 300WSM, 300SAUM, 308 (SEVERAL), 7mmSAUM, 7mm-08 (Several), 243 (Several), and 223 and since they did away with most of the skinny barrels and went to "magnum contours" on most of them I haven't had one that wouldn't shoot waaaay better than it should.

They balance well, are light, short and handy, are often more accurate than even a 700 and are often quite well priced.

Long live the Model 7 and I hope I'll always have a few.

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Thanks for the props, VA! Your company is always a pleasure.

So is being daily screwed by your leftist, elitist, racist, messiah, B. Hussein Obama.

Care to tell us again, why your level of dumbphuckitude thought it appropriate to inflict such upon us, and how that Kenyan-born turd isn't actually anti-American, anti-Constitution, and esp. anti-gun?

Such is always good for a laugh...............

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
high praise for the 7 it seems, don't know much about em though. Did they make one in a 260?

Charlie

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

442 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,971
Posts18,519,772
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.