Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
derby_dude;

Friend, I suspect that you and I could have some rather interesting conversations re: philosophy and religion.

Might have to, at some point.....

Would love to. Maybe we might meet at a Campfire confab. Maybe BCBrian can get the northwest one going. I'd like to talk philosophy and religion with Brian too.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by derby_dude
On another thread someone posted on Christian's incredible fear of death which got me to thinking, yes I know that's dangerous but it's also my perpetual state.

When I was a Catholic/Christian I had an incredible fear of death myself. I also had an incredible fear of a permanent disability that would take away my freedom. I don't know which cause me more anxiety, death or disability.

I don't fear my death. Hell, I don't even have any strong feelings attached to it. When my ticket is punched, I'll take whatever ride comes after. Not much I can do about it.

Permanent disablility is an entirely different issue. Being laid up without my freedom is probably my worst fear. I figure death wouldn't come too long after.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Where do you find your standard of right vs wrong? Is it just what feels right/wrong at the time? Most likely, if that's it, you are just going by your early formation, which was likely based on what Christianity teaches is right and wrong. What if you didn't have that formation? What would be right and wrong then?

You don't need to have religion to develop a moral framework. Read about 2000 years of philosophy. Most of what Christianity teaches as morality was adopted from previous religions or even pagan philosophies.

Christian tradition itself is full of conflicting moral codes. Look at the new and old testaments. Or the behavior of most Christians versus the teachings and examples of Jesus.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Tod
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Where do you find your standard of right vs wrong? Is it just what feels right/wrong at the time? Most likely, if that's it, you are just going by your early formation, which was likely based on what Christianity teaches is right and wrong. What if you didn't have that formation? What would be right and wrong then?

You don't need to have religion to develop a moral framework. Read about 2000 years of philosophy. Most of what Christianity teaches as morality was adopted from previous religions or even pagan philosophies.

Christian tradition itself is full of conflicting moral codes. Look at the new and old testaments. Or the behavior of most Christians versus the teachings and examples of Jesus.

Well said.

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Must be "fun" to live without hope of any kind.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I don't fear death, it's the dying I fear. wink

I don't experience feelings of guilt, Jesus Christ took that load and paid the debt. (Where's the little yellow fellow jumping up and down and shouting Glory, Hallelujah hiding at?)

I don't have religion, I have a relationship with the Saviour.

I don't have a huge list of rules and regulations, I have the perfect law of liberty applied to my soul through the blood of Jesus Christ.

Don't know what some of you guys have, but that's what the Lord gave me. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The idea of am after life was invented to keep humans from realizeing that what ever is done now, by them or any one else makes no differance in the grand scheme (if there is one) We are here till we die. Then who knows, maybe we go to the happy hunting ground, maybe we get reborn and have to put up with all the BS again, Maybe we get the 72 virgins. Maybe nothing, we rot and go back to earth.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heaven- Hell , if you don't do this you won't get that. the idea of a bluff is to get you to question your hand ( poker). This is the basis of fear mongering the religous organizations hold over there members. They for ever question the hand dealt them, but seldom will fold. Play your good hands hard and dump the poor ones immediately, lest you be tempted to play with crap. life is like a poker game in many respects.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Furprick
Besides its , religion, just a tool for strong people to rule the weak.

Why would a strong person need a tool to rule a weak person?

Sounds to me more like it'd be the weak person who needed a tool to rule a strong person.

Or perhaps a small group (a State, for example) that would need a tool to rule a large group (an entire population, for example).

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Qtip
Must be "fun" to live without hope of any kind.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

I live with a myriad of hope, and of hopes. Just without at least one delusion.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my experience, there are two groups of Christians with regard to death.

In one group, you have the folks who believe that after they die, God will look at their lives and, according to some heuristic criterion (may vary from denomination to denomination) will decide whether to send them to Heaven or to Hell. These are the people who hope they're going to Heaven when they die.

In the other group, you have the folks who believe that there's some kind of a choice one can make during one's life that will force God--bound by the promises he has made--to make the Heaven/Hell decision in a predetermined way. These people know they're going to Heaven when they die.

If you get a guy from each of these groups and get them talking about death and the afterlife, you'll have an entertaining time. The folks from the first group think the folks from the second group are blasphemously arrogant, and the folks from the second group think the folks from the first group are taking an inconceivable risk.

My objective is not to declare which group is right and which group is wrong (although I'm solidly in the second group, myself) but simply to say that it makes sense for the folks from the first group to be a bit nervous about death, since it forever eliminates any further chances to influence God in the direction they want him to decide, while it doesn't make as much sense for folks in the second group to be nervous about death unless they're procrastinating the big choice.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Can next week's religious debate be about coveting thy neighbor's wife??

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As for permanent disability...I don't relish the thought, but if I did become permanently disabled, I'd assume the reason was because God had a job for me that I wouldn't be able to do if I weren't permanently disabled. From my point of view, this life here on earth is such a small part of the entire experience that in the big picture what happens here is of little import.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac

Frame it and post it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by derby_dude
The question is this if Christians believe that there is life after death and they are going to God and Jesus why are they so afraid of dying when the opportunity is presented? Why fight it!

I remember asking that question when I was about 10 years old. Never did get an answer.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by isaac

Frame it and post it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If my wife knew I did post it,we'd be right back to the death debate.

Last edited by isaac; 07/13/08.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Derby,

A couple of questions:

Why if you are not a Christian now do you assume you ever were?

By what standard are all Christians afraid of death?

What is this "other realm" after death you believe in and what is your authority for it? This "other realm"-is it for eternity? What goes? Your soul or....do you have a soul? If for eternity do you think it's "no big deal?"

And, why do you raise the question-thread-at all? For an accountant who lives in the world of irrepresable mathematical figures, you are "hopin' and pokin'" my friend.

Gdv

Last edited by goodnews; 07/13/08.
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ultimate delusion is blind faith in the unproven idea that there is no God. The most religious people I have ever seen are atheists. The mental gymastics they go through to try and drag logic into their emotions is amusing.

I wish they'd just be honest and admit they have chosen to believe that there is no God. There is no hypocrisy or falsehood in that. It is a leap of faith to go from what can be observed to the status of any supernatural being, for ANYONE, regardless if they beleive in God or not.

The difference with real Christians--not the "on paper" types mentioned earlier, is that real Christians base their faith on a personal relationship with God. Because I know God personally, trying to tell me He doesn't exists is as nonsensical as telling me that my parents, wife, and kids don't exist.

To be blunt, several on here who claimed to have been Christians in the past obviously weren't. Oh, they may have gone to church and talked the talk, but it's extremely unlikely they ever had a personal relationship with God, and that personal relationship with God is what defines a true Christian. And if you want to know how a real Christian views death, read Shootists post.

I also find it amusing that the "logcial" reasons so many use to reject God are emotion-based. Like "if God were so good then why do bad things happen?" Their thought seems to be that because they can't fully understand God or agree with everything that happens; then God must not exist.

So maybe someone them can explain exactly what understanding and liking something have to do with the truth of that thing's existence?

Last edited by Blaine; 07/13/08.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Never said there was no God.

Only that I'm not delusional enough to believe in religion.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
The ultimate delusion is blind faith in the unproven idea that there is no God. The most religious people I have ever seen are atheists. The mental gymastics they go through to try and drag logic into their emotions is amusing.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A brain and it's abilty to reason and exhibit logic is real and something you can truly identify and grab hold of. Blind faith is merely that. If it comforts you to reverse the mental gymnastics from the one of faith to the man of reason, have at it. If you say it a million times to yourself, even you might someday truly believe it.

William Arthur Ward

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 3,036 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,835
Posts18,517,071
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.