Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
. . . . . . . . but hey! It's Monday now, and all the so-called Christians can go back to being "regular" folks until next Sunday's - - - religious debate. grin (rather than live it 24/7)

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
As you well know, it's all in the interpretation. Your interpretation says not to do such things; and the Hutus, for example, interpreted it in a way that told them TO do such things.

Religion, can be twisted by those holding the power over it, to do what they want.

You can disavow that "all that passes as Christianity is not Christian" all you want. The fact that it happens, and self-professing Christians do it, is proof enough that all religions have their crazies who will turn religion into a justification of their actions. Always has; always will. Because, simply, that's one of the great failings of religions, all of them.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by the_shootist
. . . . . . . . but hey! It's Monday now, and all the so-called Christians can go back to being "regular" folks until next Sunday's - - - religious debate. grin (rather than live it 24/7)

Works for nearly all of them.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Well....speaking of floods....wasn't it your God who only spared Noah and his family and some animals and then took the lives of every living creature on the planet? Kind of qualifies for mass murderer status, doesn't it? Oh yeah, He did it because man was evil...I forgot the defense strategy for a moment.

This was not too long after Cain mudered his brother over some kind of jealousy thing, right? Heck, we had murder in the Bible when there were only about 5 people existing on the planet!!

The list of other accounts of murder and atrocities could cover 2 pages of bandwidth alone. Your God was kinda into taking out alot of innocent, first born, children as well, wasn't he?? If I were to believe in the infallibilty and inerrant line of reasoning, then I'd have evidence of a full blown confession,wouldn't I?

Last edited by isaac; 07/14/08.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Oh boy, here we go..........

Derby Dude is a very bright man. He knew where this thread would eventually lead to. I'm blaming him!

Well, he's at least a co-conspirator or co-defendant,anyways!!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Religion, can be twisted by those holding the power over it, to do what they want.

So can atheism, as witness the Communists.

Once again: Every time you run across a situation involving mass murder, with tens of thousands to tens of millions of victims, you will find that the common thread is the State, not religion or a particular religion.

Religion is of course one of the tools that the State can and has used to commit mass murder; but it's certainly not the only one.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
No denying that. Which underscores the paramount importance of maintaining the greatest degree of separation possible between church/religion and state/government, and of the very closely related and equally paramount importance of keeping each as small and weak as possible, removed as much as possible from lives of the people as possible.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Works for nearly all of them.

Yup, NEARLY

But not for me. For me, it is a present reality.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
And Isaac -- you have a religion all your own. It takes more faith to believe like you do than it does to believe the Bible. So, help yourself, cause that's all your God can do (you are your own God.)

And even as Christians are always accused of trying to force their "religion" on other folks, your crew is no different. I allow for it. Shucks, GOD allows for it, for now. wink

Brother Keith

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
And thus, religion again scapegoats religion.

Believe as I do..... Because I'm right, and you're not because what I believe tells me so. Let us not look to the commonalities of our beliefs; let instead castigate, condemn, and even crusade against each other based upon only the differences....... And, of course, because my/your religion said that God told me/you so.....

Which is why I refute and rebuke religion.

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I forced nothing shootist...I answered your specific question to me!

William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Who said it was over billions of years? Maybe it was as a result of a monsterous universal flood, and the sediment that settled as a reult of that cataclismic event. You don't know, and neither do the scientists. All they can do is speculate.
They are very different kinds of sedimentary deposits, describing a long series of ages of the earth. Far too many for a young earth.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
As you well know, it's all in the interpretation. Your interpretation says not to do such things; and the Hutus, for example, interpreted it in a way that told them TO do such things.

You can disavow that "all that passes as Christianity is not Christian" all you want. The fact that it happens, and self-professing Christians do it, is proof enough that all religions have their crazies who will turn religion into a justification of their actions. Always has; always will. Because, simply, that's one of the great failings of religions, all of them.
So, if I was your father, and always told you to love your neighbor, and pray for those who persecute you, and then the first time someone flipped you the bird, you tied him up and tortured him to death, that's actually an example of you behaving in accordance with my instructions?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
and of the very closely related and equally paramount importance of keeping each as small and weak as possible, removed as much as possible from lives of the people as possible.
Well, that's true for government, but to include religion in that is contradictory, since the only way to keep religion out of the lives of people as much as possible is to empower government to bring that about with mass murder and the like, as we saw in the atheistic Soviet Union and Red China. Religion is an element of liberty. To restrain it is to restrain liberty, i.e., empower government. So you can now see the contradiction in you last sentence, yes?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by isaac
Oh boy, here we go..........

Derby Dude is a very bright man. He knew where this thread would eventually lead to. I'm blaming him!

Well, he's at least a co-conspirator or co-defendant,anyways!!!

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried to follow this thread as best I could...for an educated blonde anyway...but wasnt the topic about death???

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NurseKat
I tried to follow this thread as best I could...for an educated blonde anyway...but wasnt the topic about death???

Silly Lady!!!! grin

You know how these things go. The first dozen posts where about death. Now we are just trying to convince people that my GOD is better than your GODDESS, my RELIGION is better than your RELIGION, and I have the ONLY TRUTH, and everything you believe is FALSE. I think I've summed it up pretty good.

Bob has indicted me for starting this thread. grin Wait till next Sunday when we discuss Bob's topic "Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's wife" with a bunch of horny men. grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Started that way, it seems. Funny how things morph, ain't it?

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Believe as I do..... Because I'm right,

I never said that, as a matter of fact, I said that I allow for your beliefs, and so does God.

And BTW, you also think you're right. I am NOT on a crusade, and so now, before the swords are drawn and the bullets fly, in the name of truth, laugh , I'll do what I said . . . . allow you to have your beliefs.

And I don't even demand the same from you. wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Death in the spiritual realm is eternal separation from God � unthinkable, intolerable for some, alluring and welcome (now) for others.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 3,036 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,835
Posts18,517,071
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.