B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Via http://rfth.org

Saturday, Jul. 26, 2008
Is It Tradition Or Is It Biblical?

"Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, 'Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don't wash their hands before they eat!' Jesus replied, 'And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition?'" - Matthew 15:1-3

Sometimes we have to get outside of our own traditions to notice some of the legalisms we have embraced. During our seminary days, my wife and I were serving as missionaries at a Scottish Baptist church. I soon noticed that there was no specific time at the end of the sermon for people to "walk the aisle" to make a decision to join the church or to accept Christ. I went to the pastor and expressed my concern. "This is not good," I told him. "Why are you not doing this?" He looked at me with that rather condescending smile that Englishmen specialize in and said, "Well, Bryant, would you show me in the Bible where it says you've got to 'walk the aisle' to become a Christian or join a church?" And then he added, "Bryant, would you do a little study and see how the Bible teaches us to make a public confession of our faith in Jesus Christ? The only thing you'll see is baptism."

So often we elevate tradition to the level of the Bible. Tradition can be meaningful, but when we elevate it to the level of the Bible, we make it idolatry and ignore the 2nd commandment. Let's be sure that in following Christ, the Bible is our ultimate authority on how to live for Him.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
can a person live a good life, here and for ever, without the hierarchy of religion?

D
DSC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Without religion, yes!

Without the blood of the Lord Jesus applied to his life, absolutely not!!!

Davis Chase
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Without the blood of the Lord Jesus applied to his life, absolutely not!!!

Respectfully, so a person can just bumble along through this thing called life and have no knowledge of the 'underpinnings' of the lord and still wind up in the same place/acknowlegement?

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
If I recall correctly, people such as the Cherokee indians who may have never knew of Christ, would be in purgatory until He comes again and they will get the chance to know Him. But before He comes again, all will have heard of Him ... one of the signs that He is soon TO come. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

IC B2

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is this to say all pre european Indians are in purgatory now or up until the white man showed up?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Many things that are good and not found in scripture are also not unscriptural. The altar call is one example, Sunday school is another,there are many others such as musical instuments in New Testament worship.

Such activities can occur according to Biblical principles even if specific examples of them may not be present in the scriptures.

Britt

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Furprick
can a person live a good life, here and for ever, without the hierarchy of religion?

Morality would not exist without religion, so that question is pretty much moot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner

Morality would not exist without religion, so that question is pretty much moot.

Morality doesn't hinge on religion. In fact some of the most immoral people I know are the most religious and church going people around.

If you say that morality can't exist without a spiritual path I might go along with that but not religion.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Some people do the right thing just because it is the right thing to do.

I don't steal my neighbor's tools, not because of a threat of hell or promise of heaven, but because it is to my greater benefit to get along with my neighbor. Then we will help each other in time of need instead of shooting at each other.

Bruce

IC B3

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't steal my neighbor's tools, not because of a threat of hell or promise of heaven, but because it is to my greater benefit to get along with my neighbor. Then we will help each other in time of need instead of shooting at each other.

Bingo!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Bootsfishing]If I recall correctly, people such as the Cherokee indians who may have never knew of Christ, would be in purgatory until He comes again and they will get the chance to know Him. But before He comes again, all will have heard of Him ... one of the signs that He is soon TO come. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong.

What is and where is "purgatory?"

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

What is and where is "purgatory?"

Sounds like a nice place to wait.

------------
"Purgatory is not a mega ski resort, but it offers excellent skiing and facilities at reasonable rates. The view from the Legends summit is considered one of the best in Colorado, with several 14,000-foot mountains visible.

The ski area has 75 trails and nearly 750 acres (26% advanced, 51% intermediate, 23% beginner). The highest lift goes to 10,820 feet and the longest run is two miles. Snowboarding and Nordic skiing are available. Cross country at Mesa Verde is unique and popular. Child care and children's lessons are also available.

Luxury lodging includes the nearby Tamarron Resort with 100 rooms plus 270 two-and three-bedroom condos, restaurant, lounge, pool, hot tub, exercise room and on-site cross country skiing. The historic Strater Hotel in Durango has luxurious Victorian rooms, live theater at Christmas, hot tub, restaurant, and an authentic saloon from Colorado's gold-rush days.

Luxury condominiums nearest the ski area include Cascade Village with studios to three-bedroom units, fireplaces, steamroom, hot tubs, sauna, exercise center, restaurant, lounge. Purgatory Village Hotel has condo suites with a pool, hot tub and restaurant. Purgatory Townhouse has studio and two-bedroom units with fireplaces, hot tub.

Excellent restaurants include The Palace and Red Snapper in Durango, and Tamarron Resort between Durango and Purgatory. Cafe Cascade at Cascade Village near the ski area is considered by many to be one of Colorado's finest restaurants, with magnificent views of the rugged Needles Wilderness Area.

Night spots that usually have music or dancing include Tamarron near the ski area and Farquahrts and AJ's in Durango."

http://www.coloradoadventure.net/index2.cfm?var_file=region/skipurga.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So purgatory probably is a pretty good place, huh? grin

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
those indians get all the breaks, I guess thats why they are PO'd at the white man for messing up such a nice place.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bootsfishing,
Cherokee indians who may have never knew of Christ, would be in purgatory until He comes again

What happen to
"It is appointed unto man once to die and then the judgement."?

Or where does purgatory fit in with,
"There is no other name (Jesus) given among men where by we must be saved."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner

Thanks for the laugh!

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Does this passage indicate that we should not wash our hands before we eat?

"When there's lead in the air, there's hope in the heart."
Patron Member, NRA
Life Member, SCI
Life Member, Whittington Center
SASS member
Life Member, National Federation of Poachers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rugerbisley
Does this passage indicate that we should not wash our hands before we eat?

No. It indicates that, while hand washing was a good tradition, it should not be considered to be as important as God's commandments. Jesus was reprimanding the church elders for emphasizing tradition while ignoring the commandments of God.

From Matthew 15:

16 Jesus said, "Are you still lacking in understanding also?

17 Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated?

18 But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man.

19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders.

20 These are the things which defile the man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile the man."

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If there had NEVER been ANY religion, at all, ever; what would society have its morality based on?
To clear something up, there are definitely moral people without religion. However, their morals are the product of a society based on and descendant from religion, so the same concept applies.

For example; Feudal Japan. Free of religion, and morality.

Another note; morality does not have to match other concepts of morality. Isalmic radicals are moral, based on their own moral code. It's more of a self-relevant idea to the religion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (219DW, 1badf350, 160user, 1941USMC, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,385
Posts18,506,756
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.