Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by Boise
I can't help but believe being named knife maker of the year is the event making his leadtimes and prices raise so dramatically.

Is there an article or link about that? I did a quick google with no luck---

Thanks...

My statement is incorrect, Gene was not named knife maker of the year. I too searched the web and can find no reference to such an award. I apologize for my incorrect statement and will be more diligent in researching my comments in the future.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by troutfly
Can't argue there. Seems some folks are collecting Ingram's/May's/Crott's etc as investment items. I would agree as well that $500.00 is about top end for a good working knife. I can see spending that much when the knife is new from the maker. Used or NIB resale on the other hand.......depends how bad you want it. But they are still working knives.

Anyone stowing away Ingram's or May's as an investment is wasting their time. They are knives made to be used, they are tools. If they were intended to be more then that they would add some fancy un-needed file work. They would be using exotic handle materials and wire inlays. In general what you get from them is a basic knife that works and works very well. I could be wrong but I don't see them ever becoming investments outside of the hunting tool class. IMHO. I don't know Crott but now you have me intrested in seeing his work so I will look him up. Besides life is to short to let a great working knife set un-used. Its like a good rifle are you going to throw it in the safe and look at it every now and then to hope that someday its worth X-amount of dollars? Not me its going to be used hard and well cared for. When I can't shoot it anymore or die then maybe it will be sold and hopefully I get something for it but if not I have a lifetime of memories with it. Can't say that for the knife or gun sitting in a safe.

Dan Crotts got his start in about 1995 or so working in Bob Dozier's shop. A few different sites carry his knives. I haven't found a website of his own though. Stuff looks very nice though I haven't handled one however if he trained under Dozier........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crotts is his son-in-law; I believe.

DB

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." - Mark Twain

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I use my knives... did 11 deer, a pig or two... Mine get used.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No problem there, I was just hoping there was an article or something I could read about it, oh well. I've got 2 Ingrams and 2 on the way, bought a cheap belt sander and trying to mimic some of his during the 3 year wait on the last one smile.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my 1st Ingram is on the way and it will be my primary knife

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which model did you get SAKO75? I just recieved a new BullNose Hunter in the mail about 2 weeks ago from Gene and it is one of the lightest and handiest knives I own. Sure wish the wait wasn't so long or I would order another 2-3 Ingrams. I've got a Charlie May Hognose comning in about 15 months or so as well, will be my fist May knife.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
#7+ drop point

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Dan Crotts got his start in about 1995 or so working in Bob Dozier's shop. A few different sites carry his knives. I haven't found a website of his own though. Stuff looks very nice though I haven't handled one however if he trained under Dozier........

Dan Crotts is Bob Dozier's stepson and has been the shop foreman at Dozier for a number of years. He makes a very nice knife in his own name. I have a few of them - very similar to all my Dozier's - what a coinkydink. Here is a fillet, a #1 droppoint, and a bird & trout from Crotts.

I wouldn't say I'm a collector - just like to order knives in different combos to see how they will turn out I guess. Right now I have about 15 on order - I end up selling most of them for just about what I pay for them so I can afford to order more - it's a hobby - I do it to keep guys making knives. I tend to order knives and sell them a month or two later. If there wasn't such a backlog with these good makers, I'd be losing my shirt grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Daniel is Bob's step-son.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have owned a few Dozier's and never like any of them. Looking at Dan's knives I don't see much different from Dozier's. Nothing that sparks an intrest for me.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a prolific user, and in no way a collector. I AM, however, an arbitrageur. Picking the up-and-coming makers, or finding bargains, to resell in a hot market to make the money to buy more users is a very satisfying endeavor.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reading through the rest of the thread I see that the gist shifted along one branch to basically something along the lines of "if not an Ingram or a May what is the best "affordable" custom user." Along that vein I'd offer:

Stock removal: (and this ain't even a contest)

Phil Wilson
Tom Krein

Forged:
Burt Foster, MS
Bill Buxton, JS

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Phil Wilson makes a great knife and the best fillet knives I have ever owned. Journeyman I am with you on the buying up in comers. I also seem to resale a lot of knives. I buy them use them and if they make the cut I hang onto them if not they are sold to be able to buy more. I have never resold a May or a Wilson but have given a few away to close friends.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 08/03/08.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I look at my gear as an investment of sorts...in my enjoyment and quality of my experience in the pursuits I love. I buy good knives to use, and I take good care of them, but they all show the marks of what amounts to memories for me. Buy it nice or buy it twice is a motto I've adhered to for many years and it's never done me wrong.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That is very true Whip. I hear guys say all the time thats a lot of money for a knife. Lets see a good box of factory ammo is what about $40.00 lets say. Or half doz carbon arrows $100.00 at least. Their job last all of a second or so. The knifes job on one animal can take sometime. So why skimp on the tool you are going to use the most to do a job?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are many that get the job done with lesser stuff. That just doesn't float my boat though. I'll be starting my boys off with good gear (just like dad's). I see it as a way of establishing a set of values (get good stuff and take good care of it) that'll serve them well in life. I've got Ingrams and Randalls stacked up for delivery for the next 7 years. My wife thinks I'm a bit touched.....and she'd be right (grin).

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Whip
I don't know if you are a fisherman at all but if so I would highly highly recommend a Phil Wilson (Seamount Knives) fillet knife. No working knife collection would be complete without one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ordered a 9" Punta Chivato from Phil yesterday, will takem 8-9 months before it is ready, just in time for fishing next year.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Montana Creek Hunter,
Sheeeeeit! Now you've gone and done it, dangling the proverbial carrot in front of me. I went to the website and I gotta say that those are the most badazz looking filet knives I've ever seen. I'll be putting in an order for a punta chivato soon, even though the funds for fun account is overdrawn this year (see post in backpacking forum about purchases). This site should have some kind of support group organized for us compulsive buyers!

Are you in Montana or is it just part of your screen handle? I'm in Polson, MT myself, and diggin every day in paradise cool

Last edited by Whip; 08/07/08.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (300_savage, 35, Akhutr, 338reddog, 10 invisible), 1,390 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,881
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.