Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
coyote junkie Don't be surprised if that's as good as your hornet will shoot. That is typical of a Hornet and better than a lot of them.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

GB1

Bill_I Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by killahog
coyote junkie Don't be surprised if that's as good as your hornet will shoot. That is typical of a Hornet and better than a lot of them.

Well.........."as good as your Hornet will shoot"..........is pretty good then smirk

He noted it is various loads, new gun, first groups and it prefered the hotter loads on the left. I guess more people on the net than I can just buy a brand new gun, get a feel for how it likes to be held in one shot, make up some loads for it and shoot 1/4" groups all day long........right off the bat.

His groups on the left are 3/4" moa and thats with the one likely wind flyer in each group from the little Hornet.......and/or getting use to his brand new gun. He likely hasn't even neck sized fire formed brass yet.

A lot of Hornets including both of mine shoot under 3/4" moa. I have seen plenty of other varmint center fires that won't do better than that despite what is printed on the net.

At worst with his brand new gun, first loads, including wind flyers he is 3/4" moa for a couple hundred yard sporter wt. roving varminter.............yea.......thats just lousy crazy

"I ain't as good as I once was but, I'm as good once as I ever was"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Bill I didn't say that was lousy I think the group he shot on the top left was good for a hornet and that level of accuracy is all that is needed for a walking varmint er. I was simply trying to kept him from chasing that load that is going to shoot in the ones. .100S I spent a lot of time and money trying to find that load that would shoot bug holes with my hornet and never did.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My T/C hornet barrel is very accurate. I've never shot paper past 50 yards with my Ruger hornet, but I've heard they are "inaccurate." The hornet works great for fox, etc. I even download it. My favorite load for chucks, fox, etc. is a 50 grain Hornady soft point and 9.7 grains of W296 at about 2350 fps. Its pretty quiet too. One can shoot around people and not cause too much of a rukus. I know, whimpy; not macho at all, but I'm not trying to impress anyone. I also bought the .17 mach2 instead of the 22 mag-cased .17. I also have a 6mm REm, a .17 Rem, two .223s, a .22-250, a .22 K-hornet, ........ I like them all, but the need for speed is overrated.

There are many copies.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ive owned several hornets,and they all shot quite well. Ive always subscribed to using small pistol primers,and AA1680 powder. This group was using my box stock CZ527 with only a trigger job.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Jefe That is a good shooting hornet you have, if mine would have grouped like that I would have kept it.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I perfer a Hornet for a couple of reasons:

I wanted a lighter, "walk-around" rifle, and

A shooter may initially get trespass permission in my state, but a louder cartridge will get the shooter tossed - and probably not invited back !

My Hornet's a CZ w/Leupold 2-7x33 Compact:

[Linked Image]

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a M 43 Winchester in 22 Hornet, and had a Savage 340. I never have any problems with accuracy in either out to 200 yds. I still have the M 43 and shoot it at anything in the back yard. Its only about 125 yards in all directions. If something don't die, it's my fault not that little Hornets. It as a old steel wide field 4x Weaver on it. It was my Marine buddy's Mom's deer rifle, he gave it to me for getting him hired after he retired from the Marines. I have killed coyotes, crows, armadillos and things of that nature. I cast a 39 gr. round nose gas check bullet from NIE mold and shoot squirrels with it too!

Last edited by Otis; 07/28/08. Reason: missed word

Semper Fi USMC/0331
Bill_I Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Otis
I have a M 43 Winchester in 22 Hornet, and had a Savage 340. I never have any problems with accuracy in either out to 200 yds. I still have the M 43 and shoot it at anything in the back yard. Its only about 125 yards in all directions. If something don't die, it's my fault not that little Hornets. It as a old steel wide field 4x Weaver on it. It was my Marine buddy's Mom's deer rifle, he gave it to me for getting him hired after he retired from the Marines. I have killed coyotes, crows, armadillos and things of that nature. I cast a 39 gr. round nose gas check bullet from NIE mold and shoot squirrels with it too!

Sounds good Otis,
BTW- On my Win. M-70 Hornet I have an old Redfield Widefield 4x too smile

"I ain't as good as I once was but, I'm as good once as I ever was"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (21, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 61 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,814
Posts18,477,637
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.