Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For a guy who has never killed an elk even CLOSE to that big....he would be shot if I had him walk in front of me during the season...

He's over 320...and thats my mark I'd love to hit......would he go 340?? No idea...haha.

Those main beams are crazy long and he has it all....cept for maybe a few inches on his 5th points.....but heck he makes me drooooool.....

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never said I could judge pictures. And going by what was supposedly known (58" main beams), I used the best tool I knew. Math.
However its no excuse, other than pictures are decieving.

Thanks for sharing that with us. It was fun.

Does anyone know the right score?

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Here is a pic of my elk hunting buddy's elk that looks to be a twin of Kilmer's picture. We got him last fall and he scores (officially) 338 1/8" B&C.
[Linked Image]

My elk, taken on the same hunt scored 358 2/8"....like someone else said on this thread, most of the big ones are 6x6 big and boxy, with mass...he described mine to a "T", except he had two small additional points up front that made him a 7x7, but it was really a 6x6 frame. Both elk were taken fair chase. Best of luck to you fine folks this fall!
[Linked Image]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Those are two awesome elk!!! Wow....that bull is what dreams are made of....

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Wow !!! Now thats 2 outstanding bulls. What State???
Back to the first photo I'll stick to my first guess.

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 07/27/08.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Those are two great bulls also!!! But the first bull doesn't have 58" mains, let's assume he has 48" beams (which maybe a little long).If he is pretty close to being Kilemer's bull's twin and officially goes 338" adding the extra 20" would put him(Kilmer's) at 358". Just curious Godog what are the main beams and the inside spread on your bull? 50"-52" mains? And FYI here in NM we call those little nontypical points you described "Devil's tines" or "Acoma points". Awesome bull for sure!!!!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
58" beams are world class. That first bull doesn't look like anything special to me. It's a nice bull, but not even book. I figured maybe somebody had killed it and measured the beams. I think they look about 50" tops but photos can be deceiving.

In any event, I wouldn't shoot that first bull.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This pic shows his length better

[Linked Image]

Here he is on the ground, that is me on the left. He's 48" wide at his 3rds, and 22" wide at the tips (pretty cool). Killed with a muzzleloader at 25 yards. This hunter's first elk.

[Linked Image]

I misjudged this bull after watching him for about an hour (including a 20 minute brawl with a bull about the same size) at 1500 yards. The picture is taken through my spotting scope. His face is really short, which threw me off. I could tell the main beams were exceptional, but I overestimated the length of his fronts. I guessed him at 365-370, he taped just over 352.

I guess my point is, I've looked at a ton of big elk, on the hoof and on the ground, and the difference between a 330 and a 350 (or a 350 and a 370) is less than 2" on each tine, and pretty tough to see at distance.

Shoot one that looks "big enough" to you, and you won't be disappointed. The hunter in the picture wasn't.

PS: Nice bull Godogs.

I hunt, therefore I am.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks Kilmer! I think the short fifths on that bull really throw everyone off! If he would have had 15" fifths everyone would have been calling him 370-380(and I guess he would have been close-approx 366?). Anyway he is a great bull and they're always better when they are on the ground!....Besides I knew a Utahn wouldn't post a pic of a 330 "rat"!!!!

Jared
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How about this one?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry about the second picture (i hate back of the truck shots) but it shows the tine length a little better. Both pics are of the same bull. I'm on the right in the first pic. I know the score.

Experts?

I hunt, therefore I am.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Wow Kilmer that's a great bull for anyone,anywhere,anytime.
Thanks for the lesson in field judging. I'll take a stab
at that huge 6x6. I'll say 358 and put me down as one of
the guys who would not blink before droping the hammer on
him.
I'm just hoping to top 300 this fall in Colorado. I'm may
never get there hunting public land DIY but I'm still trying.
Thanks again for taking the time to post the photos. Later
Taters

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm guessing 362 on that last bull. Nice one. I don't mind the back of the truck photo at all. At least it's not a Ford. (sorry, I couldn't resist.)

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im in 362 and call.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'm damn sure no expert! They kick my a$$ every year!! But to me if you doubled the bulls big side(his left)with average mass and 42 inside you'd have a 380ish gross bull. With the differences between sides -not confused with net- he's a 370s gross bull maybe less. Great thirds!Shows what tine length does for a score. Another gagger bull on most hunts!! But if this bull and the first were standing together I'd shoot the first. I love the mass on those big black horns!!!

Jared
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Pictures can be tricky, but the first bull is quite a stud, regardless of score and a few shorter tines. From the photos, I can't get more than 340 gross (best case) out of the one in the truck. Nice bull no doubt, and impressive enough to have been able to load him whole. That's my dream.. a big one, whole in the truck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once upon a time I was gonna make up a bumper sticker that said "real men get their elk out whole"... smirk

Unless of course it's high fence or big butt rancho.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 07/30/08.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"real men get their elk out whole"...

We got the whole elk out, but he was in halves. If you look closely, you can see that the hind end is not in the truck with the front end. There happened to be a 4 wheeler road in the bottom of the canyon he was shot in that we didn't discover until we went to put our hands on him.

The bull in my first pics left the mountain in pieces, on our backs, just like God intended. 2 miles, uphill, to the truck - 3 trips.

Those big thirds are what cost this bull his life. He nets 362 and change. I didn't think he'd break 350 on the hoof, after watching him bedded for about an hour. The guy with the gun disagreed, and he was right.

No fences, no ranchos, just good quality limited-entry units in Utah.

EDIT :By the way Mark, you have yet to ask me about the bear pictured in my avatar. It was killed in your home county. I'm surprised you don't recognize it. smile

Last edited by kilmer; 07/30/08.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, my bad tell me about your bruin...grins

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oh, that little old thing? Well, since you asked smile

I killed it June 2007 just north of the park buffer zone and south of Big Sky (can't remember the name of the drainage, maybe Taylor?). .35 Whelen, 200 grn TSX, 147 yards.

[Linked Image]

One little rub on a hind leg, and a belly full of rotting elk calf. He was 15 years old, and measured 20 2/16 green. I'm still waiting for it to come back from the beetles for an official score (getting a little nervous about it taking so long). Hide squared 6'10".

Sorry for the hi-jack. Back to elk business.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice bruin! I'd kind of like to hunt them some day... cool

Thx 4 sharing

Dober

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 58 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,981
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.