Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Charles A Ive been hunting a long time and in many states for big game, I have taken my share of whitetail and Mulies; lopes and several elk,trapped and hunted fox and coyotes for money back in my younger days in N Dakota, I have seen a lot of animals killed,, you just wouldnt see me taking, let alone posting pictures of a botched shot, Face it you are giving ethical hunters a sour look. Ive seen enough of the I I I, me me me look what I did in my time, I'm sure this will lead to some sort of rant but it is what it is, and you started it,, so just let it go

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I did crop damage for a while, however now I kill the deer I do for several reasons. Primarily- because I like to and I can. Unlike most I would rather spend more time doing, hunting and killing (I know that must come as a shock to most that a successful hunt involves something dieing), then endless talk of rifles, or trying to get the last .00004873 of an inch reduction in group size.

We are allowed 3 deer a day for four-months of the year. Between Amber and I we average around 30 a year. We'll keep seven or eight, and the rest goes to friends/family or the homeless shelter. Not a one gets wasted.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not a one gets wasted.

crazy

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Royce
Charles
What is the point of shooting a deer and ruining most of the meat, other than just thrill killing?

What type of killing do you do? I would assume if you hunt an animal and then eventually kill one, you do it out of enjoyment, correct? So then it could be characterized as thrill killing, no?

I don't think you have earned much respect here with your in your face braggadocio and gut shooting fawns.

If one comes to the internet for respect, they are sad indeed... No braggadocio. It was questioned, then stated that I had no experience shooting animals with LR bullets, specifically AMAX's or Berger's.

I do find it slightly humorous, that first one has little to no experience with something, and then has to much and is labeled a "slob", and the inevitable "what do you do with all that meat! Certainly you can't eat it all!".

Some enjoy actually hunting, more then talking about it.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Charles-where do you live, the south somewhere's I'd imagine?

Thx
Dober

(you ever burn H1000 in your 300's)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The man was asked for experience with LR bullets for hunting and he gave it and now he is attacked for it. WOW

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
jwp

He wasn't criticized for giving his experience. He was criticized for shooting deer at ranges past where he could place his shots with any reasonable amount of precision, and he was criticized for the wanton waste of meat that resulted from that practice, and he was criticized for the very high probabilty that he left lots of deer staggering around with legs blown off.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Mark, home is in Tn.

I've used H1000 in a 300WM and a 300Ultra, though it's been a while. Now the 300WM's use R22 almost exclusively, and the 300Ultra is a 300 Tomahawk that gets Retumbo.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Bet this can beat any Barne's thread...... grin.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Royce
jwp

He wasn't criticized for giving his experience. He was criticized for shooting deer at ranges past where he could place his shots with any reasonable amount of precision, and he was criticized for the wanton waste of meat that resulted from that practice, and he was criticized for the very high probabilty that he left lots of deer staggering around with legs blown off.

I'm a bit amazed, but not surprised, at some peoples comprehension level. So once again- only two of the pictured deer did not receive a bullet that involved lungs or CNS, via entrance or exit. Since all but three DRT'd, I'd say "a reasonable amount of precision" wasn't a problem. No wounded deer. No deer with blown off legs staggering around.

If it is not a comprehension problem, then I am unsure why you would state the above even after I addressed it?

For those wondering, I continued to use the bullets because one dead deer tells you nothing about terminal performance, just like one shot tells you nothing about accuracy. It takes a lot of shots to get an idea of group size, and it takes a lot of shots to get an idea of terminal performance.

IC B3

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guys,

I don't see Charles as a bad guy here. Crud, I once muffed a shot at 40 yds, and most of you here have done something similar if you'd admit it. Does it make it better because I took a shot I shouldn't have at 40 yds vs 800?

Also, how many of us have had DRTs with deer for less than perfectly placed shots? To be honest, it's not that uncommon.

And how many happily shoot prairrie dogs or sage rats just for the fun of it? Sure, we pat ourselves on the back because we are helping the rancher, but our primary motivation was helping the rancher--and not hitting and killing little critters--we'd set out traps and/or poison.

I think Charles LR shooting is fine. Don't do it if you don't like it, but only those who have never made a bad shot have any room to criticize him.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Spot on Blaine....

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I wouldn't question his longrange shooting,but photo's displaying kill shots this way really should be kept to ones self,surely you should have some "tasteful" pics to show of your LR deer hunts exspecially since your harvesting 30+ a year!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7mmRM all the way.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Define long range...for some guys that is 400 yards, to others it is 1600 yards.

I use a load in my 7 mag of 73.0g of R#25 in a Rem Case with a WLRM primer with a 154g Hornady SST at 3200 fps out of my Rem 700 LSS.

I had a custom 300 WM with a 26" fluted #8 taper with a muzzle break with the 180g Noslers loaded at 3100 fps. Load fell apart between 300-400 yards, blew in the wind much more and dropped much more than my 7 Mag with much less recoil.

Unless I were hunting elk, no more 300 WM for me.

Last edited by keith; 08/21/08.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Load fell apart? How about trying a different load!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Charles
It's interesting here that you post the following on 8/20/08

"have lost exactly one deer that shed a drop of blood... When I was 13, using a Corlokt."

and then over on the forum As Real As it Gets you post the following;

"I shot a 4pt a few years back at 525 yards with a 190gr SMK out of a 300Win. He was broadside and dropped at the shot. About the time I set up, he started moving. By the time a got back behind the gun he was already up and heading back to cover. I was a bit dumbfounded as he moved between the trees, because he had 4 inch diameter exit on the offside. You could see the rear edge of the scapula......

Long story short, we didn't find the deer until a couple days later. The video's interesting..."

Please explain this discrepancy which would apparently call your ability to recall past events with a great deal of repeatability.
I think most of us consider a deer lost when it's is not found before the meat is ruined.

Fred

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Someone please tell me what a 7mm Mag will do that a .30-06 loaded properly with 165 gr. boattails won't do. I've taken several deer between 400 and 500 yds. with a .30-06, no complaints. Enough power, and regardless of how fast the cartridge shoots, you still have to PRACTICE at the ranges you intend to shoot at, period.
Selmer

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Selmer
When you get the answer, please fill me in, too. Everytime I have tried to "improve" on the 30/06, the further I got away from it, the faster I seemed to go backwards. I have used the 270 more than any other cartridge, but cannot say its an improvement on th 06. I used the 7 Magnum for a while, and never saw any increased killing power over the 30/06 or 270. It cost more to shoot, and kicked more, and was fussier to load for, I thought.
Cartridges like the 308, 7X57, 30/06 and other that were developed by the military have had the benefit of the most extensive and expensive testing availble. They feed well, don't burn out barrels quickly, don't foul a lot.
Of course, it only took me 45 years to get this through my head. If I was 25 years old today, I'd be out there detaching my retinas behind something like a 338 Lapua.

Fred

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
338 WM is the most reliable Hitter of Things Far Away (HTFW) that I've seen so far.

What was the question again? :-)

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (257wthbylover, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,117
Posts18,522,844
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.