Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
She is a lawyer. Her husband is a senior partner in one of the biggest firms around. She philosophically believes in lawsuits.

I philosophically believe in freedom and so should the president/VP. Freedom from the BS that was the rash of lawsuits against the firearm industry.

No, freedom to seek a remedy in the courts is one of our fundamental rights. It may be that the cases were BS, but I really don't feel any better about that law, even though I benefit from it, than I do about the lie that is tort reform.

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Violator22
This one bothers me.

Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)

That bill had a rider that required background checks at gun shows. She may have voted against it because she read the bill she was voting on.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And I agree but as a non lawyer (and a vast majority of voters aren't lawyers) I see the legislation against BS lawsuits that targeted firearm mfgs as something that was a no brainer and voting against that as a problem. I have not problem with seeking remedy thru the courts but that isn't what was going on - it wasn't remedy but a concentrated effort at extorting $$ from the mfgs and of trying to put those legitimate businesses into bankruptcy and by extension band guns from Americans.

Perception = reality and that perception is going to be an issue.

Me

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Be that as it may, I'm pretty much against a broad prohibition of any sort of lawsuit.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
She would likely add to his campaign and draw some more of the disgruntled Hillary supporters off the fence and onto Mc Cain's side.

Mc Cain supposedly loathes her, but stranger bedfellows have been paired before, e.g. Kennedy and LBJ.

Keep in mind, though, that allowing rumors to grow in order to try to steal some attention from the competition is an old political manuever.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
This is a summary of the bill she voted against..

Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence.
Vote to pass a bill that would block certain civil lawsuits against manufacturers, distributors, dealers and importers of firearms and ammunition, mainly those lawsuits aimed at making them liable for gun violence. In this bill, trade groups would also be protected The bill would call for the dismissal of pending lawsuits against the gun industry. The exception would be lawsuits regarding a defect in a weapon or ammunition. It also would provide a 10-year reauthorization of the assault weapons ban which is set to expire in September 2004. The bill would increase the penalties for gun-related violent or drug trafficking crimes which have not resulted in death, to a minimum of 15 years imprisonment. The bill calls for criminal background checks on all firearm transactions at gun shows where at least 75 guns are sold. Exemptions would be made available for dealers selling guns from their homes as well as members-only gun swaps and meets carried out by nonprofit hunting clubs

I would have voted no as well

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have nothing but respect for Kay and my wife has met her and liked her as well. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree with her vote as well - but like I said, most people don't know that. Look at the guy arrested in Denver - didn't know the largest concentration of people driven to make his hunting trip illegal (can't own guns at all) was going on. A VERY large number of hunters/shooters don't actually follow what the people who are elected do or stand for.

I just hope that if Kay is his running mate, they have answers ready for those types of questions.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[quote=noKnees]This is a summary of the bill she voted against..

Vote to pass a bill that would block certain civil lawsuits against manufacturers, distributors, dealers and importers of firearms and ammunition, mainly those lawsuits aimed at making them liable for gun violence. In this bill, trade groups would also be protected The bill would call for the dismissal of pending lawsuits against the gun industry. The exception would be lawsuits regarding a defect in a weapon or ammunition. It also would provide a 10-year reauthorization of the assault weapons ban which is set to expire in September 2004. The bill would increase the penalties for gun-related violent or drug trafficking crimes which have not resulted in death, to a minimum of 15 years imprisonment. The bill calls for criminal background checks on all firearm transactions at gun shows where at least 75 guns are sold. Exemptions would be made available for dealers selling guns from their homes as well as members-only gun swaps and meets carried out by nonprofit hunting clubs

I would have voted no as well [/quot

Thanks for the quick heads up on that,.....NoKnees. I'm a "Benifit of the doubt" sorta' guy,.......I do hope she's a good choice,....

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This one bothers me.

Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)

How about the real scoop? Please note what the Bill she voted against REALLY said......she voted the right way!!!!!!

http://www.ontheissues.org/Domestic/Kay_Bailey_Hutchison_Gun_Control.htm

Kay Bailey Hutchison on Gun Control

Republican Sr Senator (TX)

Voted YES on prohibiting foreign & UN aid that restricts US gun ownership.

Amendment SA 2774 to H.R. 2764, the Department of State's International Aid bill: To prohibit the use of funds by international organizations, agencies, and entities (including the United Nations) that require the registration of, or taxes guns owned by citizens of the United States.
Proponents support voting YES because:
Sen. VITTER: This is a straight funding limitation amendment. Many folks who haven't followed the proceedings on this in the U.N. may ask: What is this all about? Unfortunately, it is about an effort in the United Nations to bring gun control to various countries through that international organization. Unfortunately, that has been an ongoing effort which poses a real threat, back to 1995. In 2001, the UN General Assembly adopted a program of action designed to infringe on second amendment rights. The Vitter amendment simply says we are not going to support any international organization that requires a registration of US citizens' guns or taxes US citizens' guns. If other folks in this Chamber think that is not happening, that it is never going to happen, my reply is simple and straightforward: Great, then this language has no effect. It is no harm to pass it as a failsafe. It has no impact. But, in fact, related efforts have been going on in the U.N. since at least 1995. I hope this can get very wide, bipartisan support, and I urge all my colleagues to support this very fundamental, straightforward amendment.
No opponents spoke against the bill.
Reference: Vitter Amendment to State Dept. Appropriations Bill; Bill S.Amdt. 2774 to H.R. 2764 ; vote number 2007-321 on Sep 6, 2007

Voted YES on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers.

A bill to prohibit civil liability actions from being brought or continued against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or importers of firearms or ammunition for damages, injunctive or other relief resulting from the misuse of their products by others. Voting YES would:
Exempt lawsuits brought against individuals who knowingly transfer a firearm that will be used to commit a violent or drug-trafficking crime
Exempt lawsuits against actions that result in death, physical injury or property damage due solely to a product defect
Call for the dismissal of all qualified civil liability actions pending on the date of enactment by the court in which the action was brought
Prohibit the manufacture, import, sale or delivery of armor piercing ammunition, and sets a minimum prison term of 15 years for violations
Require all licensed importers, manufacturers and dealers who engage in the transfer of handguns to provide secure gun storage or safety devices
Reference: Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act; Bill S 397 ; vote number 2005-219 on Jul 29, 2005

Vote to pass a bill that would block certain civil lawsuits against manufacturers, distributors, dealers and importers of firearms and ammunition, mainly those lawsuits aimed at making them liable for gun violence. In this bill, trade groups would also be protected The bill would call for the dismissal of pending lawsuits against the gun industry. The exception would be lawsuits regarding a defect in a weapon or ammunition. It also would provide a 10-year reauthorization of the assault weapons ban which is set to expire in September 2004. The bill would increase the penalties for gun-related violent or drug trafficking crimes which have not resulted in death, to a minimum of 15 years imprisonment. The bill calls for criminal background checks on all firearm transactions at gun shows where at least 75 guns are sold. Exemptions would be made available for dealers selling guns from their homes as well as members-only gun swaps and meets carried out by nonprofit hunting clubs.
Reference: Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act; Bill S.1805/H.R.1036 ; vote number 2004-30 on Mar 2, 2004

Voted NO on background checks at gun shows.

Require background checks on all firearm sales at gun shows.
Reference: Lautenberg Amdt #362; Bill S. 254 ; vote number 1999-134 on May 20, 1999

Voted YES on more penalties for gun & drug violations.

The Hatch amdt would increase mandatory penalties for the illegal transfer or use of firearms, fund additional drug case prosecutors, and require background check on purchasers at gun shows. [A YES vote supports stricter penalties].
Reference: Hatch Amendment #344; Bill S. 254 ; vote number 1999-118 on May 14, 1999

Voted YES on loosening license & background checks at gun shows.

Vote to table or kill a motion to require that all gun sales at gun shows be completed by federally licensed gun dealers. Also requires background checks to be completed on buyers and requires gun show promoters to register with the Treasury.
Reference: Bill S.254 ; vote number 1999-111 on May 11, 1999

Voted YES on maintaining current law: guns sold without trigger locks.

Vote to table [kill] an amendment to make it unlawful for gun dealers to sell handguns without providing trigger locks. Violation of the law would result in civil penalties, such as suspension or revocation of the dealer's license, or a fine.
Reference: Bill S 2260 ; vote number 1998-216 on Jul 21, 1998
Ban gun registration & trigger lock law in Washington DC.

Hutchison sponsored banning gun registration & trigger lock law in Washington DC
Nothing in any provision of law shall authorize the Mayor, or any governmental authority of the District of Columbia, to prohibit possessing firearms by a person who is allowed to possess firearms under federal law.
Denies the District any authority to enact laws or regulations that discourage or eliminate the private ownership or use of firearms.
Repeals the ban on semiautomatic weapons.
Repeals the District's registration requirement for possession of firearms.
Repeals the trigger lock law.
Maintains the current ban on the possession and control of a sawed-off shotgun, machine gun, or short-barreled rifle.
Eliminates criminal penalties for possessing an unregistered firearm.
Specifies exceptions to the prohibition against carrying concealed weapons in the District.
Source: D.C. Personal Protection Act (H.R.1399/S.1001) 2007-S1001 on Mar 27, 2007

Cancer Sucks
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If Mr McCain put Mrs Kay Bailey Hutchison on the ticket with him I'll bet 40 quaters to a nickel Mr Obama WILL WITHOUT A DOUBT BE YOUR/MINE next Commander in Chief virtually a SHOE in!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE Mr McCain put her on the ticket thaaaaaat's right put her on the ticket....... Hey guys we'll know tomorrow want we!!!!

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I'm fine with it. might be really smart.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yer dreamin' buddy, Hutchinson will pull the female vote from Obammy in droves. I know it is a challenge to accept that the chosen one is screwed.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Yer dreamin' buddy, Hutchinson will pull the female vote from Obammy in droves. I know it is a challenge to accept that the chosen one is screwed.
Les I love ya by the pound and respect tha HE!! outta what you say but I beg to differ after what I saw last night at the convention as per what Mrs Clinton said I fill the women(most not all) that stood behind her WILL vote for Mr Obama.........now I could be DEAD wrong but the show she put on last night was very much so electrifying and most of the women voters will without a doubt listen to her.....no why because they think the WORLD of her(Mrs. Clinton)!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Romney is a person that would guarantee Obama winning. Personally he brings too much baggage for me as a conservative I can't imagine what people in the middle think of him.

Kay Baily Hutchison just bought a new house down the road here in Nacogdoches, TX....not sure why. I guess she won't be moving in soon.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think her argument was more based on federalism and lack of a federal issue. Texas, and most states you'd want to live in, already had such bans.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Popapi and most of the women voters will without a doubt listen to her.....no why because they think the WORLD of her(Mrs. Clinton)!![/quote]

Not the women with brains or income, unless they're in the 7 figure per annum bracket Popai

election votes of intelligent people are not cast due to race or gender as some would like us to believe, but by character and stance upon issues.

I've no doubt my campfire brethern that I've come to know by their postings would be in hale and hearty support of Condoleza Rice if she was the candidate against Barak Obama, imagine they'd even give her a pass on her sexual preference (that's if there's validity to the rumors in the first place)

I've long felt for average to above average intelligent folk, MLK's dream came true, we judge you by your character and your content, nada else. and yes THAT is one more thing that makes me proud to be an American!

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
KBH has been a pretty good senator, but nothing outstanding. She comes from a state McCain will carry by double digits. Other than the chick thing, she adds nothing to the ticket. Not a super bad choice, but not one I would make. I still think its Pawlenty.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm hearing she intends to run for Governor of Texas and will not even finish her term in the Senate.
Kinda doubt the VP thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even McCain�Miss-Piggy would be preferable to OhBuyMe-Biden.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,122
Posts18,522,927
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.