Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
My nephew got a Mauser in the 7.7 Japanese caliber, and I am wondering where one can possibly find a custom stock for it. It is an older one, ribbed barrel, spoon bolt handle, removable cross bolt wedge. The stock is damaged on the fore end both side. I"ll post pics later. Is there someone who makes stocks for these old timers??

GB1

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to imagine a stranger cartridge for a custom rifle, unless it was really a Japanese military rifle to begin with, not a Mauser.

Looking forward to pictures.

Bruce

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A mauser in 7.7 Arisaka ? I suppose it is possible,but more likely you are mistaken about either the cartridge or the rifle.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It sounds like an old M98 "guild" sporter if it has the spoon bolt, ribbed barrel and keyed fore end.

I would also bet it's a 7x57 and not a 7mm Jap.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I would think it is probably worth having someone see if the damage can be repaired instead of replacing the stock. I have seen some wooden stocks returned to service that were badly damaged, especially on older "classic" rifles. With older rifles I like to see the wood saved when it is possible.

Reputation is what others think they know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your Honor and outlive the bastards. Ariel Vorkosigan
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes< better post a few close up photos.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the safety is a huge knob that closes off the entire rear of the bolt, you have a 7.7 Japanese Arisaka - not a Mauser.

If it's truely a Mauser action - it'll be the first I've ever seen or heard of in 7.7Jap since I started playing with guns in the 60's.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
hard to imagine anyone deliberately chambering a Mauser for the 7.7 Jap caliber.

Here's an Arisaka, with bolt open and the dust cover on, but you can see the shape of the rear of the bolt, which would never be mistaken for a Mauser. Maybe this will help clear up the confusion:

[Linked Image]

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Attached Images
11962-mauser98-type99compared.jpg (82.8 KB, 35847 downloads)
Last edited by bcp; 01/11/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Japanese captured a lot of VZ 24 BRNO Mausers from the Chinese and re-issued them to their own troops (Navy I think)in 1937, but I believe they were all in 8X57.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

Last edited by sunshinegirl; 01/13/09.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pictures appear to go from rifle002.jpg to rifle017.jpg

4, 5, and 6 show barrel and action parts to help ID the rifle.

My guess is the caliber is more likely 7.65 Mauser than 7.7 Japanese. Early caliber designations were even less standardized than now. If it is to be restored to firing condition a chamber cast would be needed to make sure what it is.

Bruce

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if unsure of the caliber, get a chamber casting made. cheap and easy.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
My nephew asked the previous owner about the caliber, and he had it slugged, and it is 7.7 Japanese

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slugging tells the caliber(barrel internal dimensions), but not the cartridge case. There are several other cartridges with the same internal barrel dimensions as the 7.7 Japanese.

You really need a chamber cast if the rifle is to be fired.

Bruce

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Can you tell us the name on the barrel and the name on the side of the scope? The 7.7 proof mark seen on the bottom of the barrel is the BORE diameter at time of proof. Most likely one of the 8mm rounds. It looks like it was a fine rifle at one time but has seen better days, the cost for a professional restoration would most likely exceed the value of the rifle.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by bcp
Hard to imagine a stranger cartridge for a custom rifle, unless it was really a Japanese military rifle to begin with, not a Mauser.

Looking forward to pictures.

Bruce

Strange things happened in WWII. Dad had an Italian Carcano chambered in 6.5 Jap...not 6.5 Ital.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bcp is probably correct that it is a 7.65 Belgian/Argentine chamber. Below are the comparative cartridge dimensions shown in drawings scrounged from the Norma web site and edited. (I hope they don't mind.)
[Linked Image]

The cartridges are remarkably similar in head diameter, diameter at shoulder, and bullet diameter. A chamber casting may not immediately show differences, because the principal ones appear to be headspace and neck length. A chamber casting doesn't do well with headspace, and neck length in such an old rifle may not conform to current CIP standards.

The routine recommendation applies even more strongly here: the rifle should be checked by a competent gunsmith with appropriate headspace gauges before firing.

--Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
Strange things happened in WWII. Dad had an Italian Carcano chambered in 6.5 Jap...not 6.5 Ital.

O

Just as a first guess - The rifle was one of the "Type I" Arisakas, made in Italy in the late 1930s for the Japanese Naval Marines. It was a typical Arisaka with a mauser-type box magazine, a two-piece buttstock, etc, but the action was a Carcano.

There are images of several Type I rifles (as in I for Italy, not the Roman numeral one) about half-way down this web page: http://oldrifles.com/japanese.htm

--Bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Originally Posted by OUTCAST

O

Just as a first guess - The rifle was one of the "Type I" Arisakas, made in Italy in the late 1930s for the Japanese Naval Marines. It was a typical Arisaka with a mauser-type box magazine, a two-piece buttstock, etc, but the action was a Carcano.

There are images of several Type I rifles (as in I for Italy, not the Roman numeral one) about half-way down this web page: http://oldrifles.com/japanese.htm

--Bob

Bob, put me down as freaking impressed. That is my nominee for amazing firearms trivia factoid of the month. wink I am constantly amazed at all the stuff people on this forum know.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,044 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,761
Posts18,495,528
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.