Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
Strange things happened in WWII. Dad had an Italian Carcano chambered in 6.5 Jap...not 6.5 Ital.

O

Just as a first guess - The rifle was one of the "Type I" Arisakas, made in Italy in the late 1930s for the Japanese Naval Marines. It was a typical Arisaka with a mauser-type box magazine, a two-piece buttstock, etc, but the action was a Carcano.

There are images of several Type I rifles (as in I for Italy, not the Roman numeral one) about half-way down this web page: http://oldrifles.com/japanese.htm

--Bob

Bob, put me down as freaking impressed. That is my nominee for amazing firearms trivia factoid of the month. wink I am constantly amazed at all the stuff people on this forum know.

Amen.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sunshinegirl
None of the Mausers were ever chambered for the 7.7 Jap. There are a number of other calibers but not that one. No one would have re-chambered it in that caliber either (Not even the Japanese)
Take it to a real gunshop. They can check the chamber, do a casting. Trust us.

Last edited by slideaction; 01/15/09.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
Strange things happened in WWII. Dad had an Italian Carcano chambered in 6.5 Jap...not 6.5 Ital.

O

Just as a first guess - The rifle was one of the "Type I" Arisakas, made in Italy in the late 1930s for the Japanese Naval Marines. It was a typical Arisaka with a mauser-type box magazine, a two-piece buttstock, etc, but the action was a Carcano.

There are images of several Type I rifles (as in I for Italy, not the Roman numeral one) about half-way down this web page: http://oldrifles.com/japanese.htm

--Bob

Bul..,

Nope. The rifle was a Carcano made at the Terni arsonel. It was a 6.5 Carcano in every espect except it was in 6.5 Jap. Your photos are all of Arisakas. Dad's rifle was nothing like them.

O

Too old to suffer fools
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Just as a general follow-up. The rifle had been restocked by a local gunsmith in cherry. The stock was full length with white cow horn tip cap, pistol grip cap and butt plate. Otherwise it was original military. The uncut barrell was 16 or 16.5 inches long. Someone told Dad it was a paratrooper carbine (who knows?).

No. Sadly I don't have picture or the gun itself. When I got out of service in 1970 he had traded it off. The only firearm he ever got rid of ... he sold it to the son of the gunsmith who did the stock work. I loved the thing (sorry action and all). And it started a life long love of Manlicher stocked rifle for me.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Outcast-
Thanks for the follow-up. I would have liked to have seen the rifle because it seems to have been an unusual and interesting piece. It's a shame it got away from you.

Here's a link to a story of another interesting Japanese Carcano rifle: A 6.5x50mm Japanese-Carcano Sporting Rifle.

Did the rifle retain the magazine? Do you recall whether it was the typical Mannlicher the type of magazine?

--Bob

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Bul..,

It had the typical Carcano 5 shot en block clip. You shoved in from the top and, when empty, the clip fell out the bottom. It was a neat piece but it went to the son of the long dead gunsmith who re-did it. So, it's in the second best place . . . I guess.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.