Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 127 of 1,842 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Pretty much the same here Griz. We lost a lot of snow yesterday between the raing and the warm weather. Today should take care of a big chunk too.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Tzone, sure am getting the itch to get the boat out. Back in the 70's and 80's I had a 12 foot car topper that we would put in below the Moon Dam. Would normally be fishing by late Feb. Earliest was Feb 4th back in 81. It wasn't uncomon for 2 of us to catch a 100 Walleyes a day.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I fish Dubay mostly. People that don't fish the river look at you funny when you say you caught a 100 walleyes in a 5-6 hours of fishing. We did it several times last spring. Don't know how many 50-60 fish days we had last year. It was a good year.

I Don't think we'll be fishing until April this year. Not in a boat anyway. I found two great looking walleye spots this fall while fishing muskies. The looked like great spawning areas. Shallow, rocky, weedy, they had it all.

I lost a pig of a muskie at one of them in October on a shad rap in one of the spots. No doubt it was a 30#'er.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
When you can go the Canadian border in the woods on A.T.V.s, What's
to stop you smuggeling over or back? Meet someone at a prearranged spot and make an exchange. Just curious, not suggesting or accusing. Bruce

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Where we were, there was nothing to stop you. We were also ten years old, so those kind of thoughts were far from our minds.

I haven't even been up there for 10 years.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hate to admit it but I've lived in Stevens Point since 1968 and never fished DuBay. Too many good places to fish on the river right here in Point. That will have to change this year.

Also want to spend more time fishing the Wolf.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
well, it's a little different border than the mexican border.

if a person was lost in the woods on either side, it would be possible for said person to wander off into another country and walk for days before being found or finding someone to help them.

Could you imagine? stumble up on a road & walk until you come across a Canadian road sign? crazy oops.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

the water wolf?

or is this a river?

"water wolf" is our nick name for northerns grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't stray too far from Dubay either. I think the whole river system from Merrill to Petenwell Flowage is great fishing. I fished about 60-70 days last year, and only made it up to Eau Plaine river on Dubay. There are almost endless places to fish.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave

the water wolf?

or is this a river?

grin

The Wolf River, is a pretty good place to catch the "water wolf". More known for it great eyeball fishing though.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
well, it's a little different border than the mexican border.

if a person was lost in the woods on either side, it would be possible for said person to wander off into another country and walk for days before being found or finding someone to help them.

Could you imagine? stumble up on a road & walk until you come across a Canadian road sign? crazy oops.

Hey !!! Look at that !!! The speed limit is 100 here !!!!
rutrow , that ain't miles per hour shocked
Better check my compass and start hoofing it south 'fore anyone sees me with this here deer rifle < diving off into the ditch because he hears a car coming up the road > shocked

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 4_S_ter

The sled I'm shopping for is for kiddo. Really, I'd like to find a mid 90's long track, maybe 2000 miles for about $1500, maybe $2k for a nice one. 500 or better, liquid for the big bucks. 500 classic touring would be the bomb.

Anybody?

Craig

I have a 2000 700 SKS Long Track. 144" w/ 1 1/4" paddle. Electric Start. It has around 2500 miles on the odometer but that quit working last winter and I've ridden it about 150 miles since. I was debating selling it, then I decided to license it and my wifes sled to go on a run last saturday. It was a lot of fun so now I'm not sure if i want to part with it. I'm kinda wishy washy that way! crazy If I decide to and it is something your interested in, I will let ya know Craig. It is a real clean sled.

Which brings me to my frustration of the day: I licensed my fish house this winter and fished one day but there was too much snow and it flooded so I brought it home. Then I license my sleds to the tune of $130.00 on friday, ride saturday and it has been raining since sunday and all the snow is disappearing. mad

That is just the kind of luck I have going for me. crazy

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Rooster,

You and I have the same type of luck sometimes. grin

However, I want the snow to melt, because I want to go fishing.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by tzone

the water wolf?

or is this a river?

grin

The Wolf River, is a pretty good place to catch the "water wolf". More known for it great eyeball fishing though.

Good White Bass fishing in the spring too. Last years White Bass run went well into May.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 95 XLT SKS that I have thought about selling from time to time. I also have a 91 Phazer II that shore has been a good'un. If you had a statistic of fun/mile, both of these sleds would be pretty high on the meter. Both have been dang near bullet proof. ahh, the good ol' days.

all the snow in my sucky area is pretty much gone. Been working on finishing the basement anyway, dadgumit, that is a lot of work!! But the rockers come tomorrow, I am hiring that part out. My desk jockey back would retalliate if I pulled a stunt like trying to hang 12 footers.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If either of you guys want to sell the Polaris's, PM me. Since it got all rainy muddy on your playground, maybe you want a quick sale!

Craig

Wood is Good.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Been away at camp for a few days with the Mrs. We burned some wood in the fireplace, took the Lab out for a few runs, saw a few deer and a LOT of turkeys. The lake was frozen hard enough for the ice fishermen to be out on it. That's the first time in 4 years that has happened. All in all, it was a great R&R trip.

Phil, I saw your note about the carb location on the Ski Daddler. After looking at the picture of the sled. I can see why it was moved. A cold day, a few fermented beverages then a call of nature and a guy could really find himself in an embarassing situation!
"Well, gee WHIZzzzzzz, how'd THAT happen?! For gawd's sake honey, stop laughin. No, I don't need an EMT. I'll be fine as soon as I get the throttle butterfly open. Can you hand me the screwdriver out of the toolbox? No, I CAN"T lift my butt up any higher! And damnit, STOP LAUGHIN'!"

Cocka-doodle-grunt!

Ron

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've been surfing over at the "Hunter's Campfire" forum and I found this thread about a pig hunt in TN in December.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...wflat/Number/2780015/page/17#Post2780015

Several Campfire members went down last December (2008) and had a great time. They are trying to get 20-25 guys for a return visit this coming December.

I had a crazy idea that this might be a good way for some of us to get together for a few days, meet each other and have some fun. Cost ($825) seems resonable. Anyone interested?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Ron, it sure sounds like a good time but the vacation time I accumulate & the funds I can dedicate to trips will be absorbed by a boundary waters canoe trip with Pam & all the kids this summer, then an elk trip this fall.

and the little bit left over will go towards deer season which is probably my favorite of all. grin

as to the carb possition on the ski daddler, that was pretty common on a lot of the old sleds & us northern boys have been joking about it for decades grin

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Dave, I can't fault you for that. I had to juggle vacation time also when I was working. You'll have more fun camping and portaging with the family than hanging around with a bunch of liars for 3 days. I remember those days of yore. Bass fishing (trip to ER for lure in son's thumb), deer hunting (new Buck sheath knife left in woods by same son, found 2 years later!), family vacations (measles outbreak in other son at Disneyworld), etc. At times like these, I'd always repeat that old bromide that anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger! (Yeah, right!)

Ron

Page 127 of 1,842 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

170 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,265
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.