Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, I consider it more Cabela's problem than my problem. After all, Cabela's advertises and does all sorts of things so that they can be in my life. I do not need Cabela's.

My friends get a second chance, sometimes. Businesses do not.

Karen talked to two totally ineffective reps and they truly gave her a half-hour of double-talk and run-around. After that, I was turned over to what apparently was the "closer." The man I talked to truly did not care what happened to my payment, what happened in my account or if I stayed as a client ... I was simply another head.

His words, "ARE WE DONE HERE?" keep ringing in my head. It was obvious that there were much more important things that he needed to do.

I'm fine with that. Cabela's VISA is simply another card and "the closer" is just another yuppie bank dickhead.

As for the fifty dollars. Heck, they can have it. If fifty dollars is so important that Cabela's VISA will lie to get it then, fine, the money is theirs with my total blessing.

And my business, both VISA and sporting goods, goes elsewhere. My choice.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
His words, "ARE WE DONE HERE?" keep ringing in my head.

That would have put me over the top. That's just piss poor customer svc.

Let them eat cake.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mathman
This is making me ill. I got a Cabela's card after Citibank screwed CDNN over bull$hit FFL requirements. Chase has been after me to get a card, any stink on them?

I don't know how I did it, but I inadvertantly missed a payment on my Chase that I had some real low-interest on. I called them up about it initially, thinking I'd made the payment and there was some screw-up. After checking my records though, I hadn't made it. Honest mistake and it was only a few days late. They cut me no slack after two or three calls, cancelling my low interest rate and upping it to the normal protection-type fees. They were not actually hateful, but were not friendly or helpful either. After the third call, I just paid it off. Since then, I've been back to their site a few times and looked for balance transfer offers. Nada. I don't like Chase. I hope they have not bought Cabela's credit card services, as I've always had good luck with Cabela's and I actually bought a gun on mine that I haven't paid for yet because I've got free interest on it 'til June.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It seems like this is the way of the world Steve. If you like the card and its features, I wouldn't cancel it.

A few years ago, we had overspent our budget for the month. We had an MBNA card with a good balance transfer offer. There was some glitch, I forget what, but we hadn't missed a payment or done anything wrong. As I remember it, we were just inquiring about something. Anyway, I get no satisfaction out of the guy I'm talking to so I courteously ask to speak to his supervisor. I like to never get the guy but finally I do. He gets on and says the same stuff plus arbitrarily decides to take away about 3/4 of our credit line! He says we've been extended too much credit. I said that we had never asked for an increase, that our credit line just reflected our being good customers for several years. Didn't matter, he decreased it right there. I stayed with them for a couple of weeks and finally got that guy's supervisor. I told them I knew it wouldn't hurt them any, but if they insisted on decreasing my credit, I would cancel them. My only option. I got the credit back and also got the free interest.

Sometimes they hire these hotshots and don't know how they are treating people. That card is still with us and has the best features and is the best card we have, now Bank of America. I'm sure there are people who don't like them, but that's my story.

I'd stay with them. I expect you'll eventually get satisfaction. Who knows though? Seems like the banks are more in collusion than competition now after the payoffs and taxpayer rape has occurred.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I've read through the thread and I am not happy. Been a club member for about 10 years. I definitely do not have the spending power as some on here but take pride in saving for what I really want and paying in full when I get the bill. Just one time it seemed forever to get a bill, then I get it and it is passed due. So I call up and whine about it and they let the late charges go. With the kind of money yea guys are spendin I'd be talkin to the big C!

IC B2

S
S
I've had a Cabela's VISA since dirt was born, and have never had a problem - don't carry a balance either. Without a doubt they've provided the best CC service of any I've had. I can second the experience of an earlier responder describing international travel and their quick security validations.

Still, that's just my experience and doesn't make anybody else's experience with them any better!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some of these banks aren't in cahoots with each other...they're the same bank with a different name, so they can do business in another state for example.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife always pesters them, the credit card folks, until they cry "Uncle!" We have had this happen more than once and they always back down, especially when she asks for a supervisor.

Sorry you had this problem. There are always going to be unfortunate problems like these with certain employees with bad attitudes and rarely, corporate policy that is unyielding to examine a corporate problem and accomodate a resolution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lesson Number One.
Do not annoy well off retired jeweler-all-round-good-guys from Oregon.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by dogzapper

My balance varied between $1,000 and $5,000 a month and it was always paid upon receipt in my mail box. I have never carried a balance or paid interest, I simply put a check in the mail or paid electronically on the same day I received the billing from Cabela's.
Steve

Steve,

Theres been a few stories in the British press about credit card company's deleberately trying to loose customers such as you, because by paying promptly, they simply don't make any money from you..In the cases mentioned, the way it was done was virtually identical to what happened to you ie hassle the customer over "missed" payments until they took their business else where..

Food for thought...

Regards,

Peter

Pete, that is a very interesting concept - "dump" (motivate them to leave) the ones who they make the least or very little on. Hmmmm.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They still make money off the merchant on the sale, so it doesn't make sense to give up 3-5% in easy money off the people who pay their balances like clockwork every month.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's true.. they make a percentage of every sale, and if you charge more than $1000 or so a year then they've recouped their costs. The ones they don't like are the ones that don't ever charge anything.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
One more reason I refuse to have a credit card. I use a debit card and pay no interest, late fees or have to put up with bill shock at the end of the month. It I do not have the money in the bank I do without.

I visited one Cabela's and found most of the stuff on the shelf was made in China. Never went back, don't feel like I an missing anything.

But that is just one old man's opinion.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My family has not used credit cards in 15 plus years...

a decision we don't regret...

we are still getting collection letters from accounts paid off over 15 years ago...

They pull this same racket of a late payment.. and then charge interest on it etc...

just got a collection letter from my wife's old Sears card...
Got tired of their crap and paid it off in full and cut up the card and returned it to them in person at the local office..

Sears kept on claiming that, even tho a payment is received, it is still not considered received until they "Process it"....

I paid their local store $425.00 cash to pay off the balance on her card at the time.. their 'processing center' still didn't credit it until 6 weeks later...

so they bill her a $25.00 late payment...
and when that wasn't paid, they billed her a late payment again, along with some other hokey charge... and they snowballed that to like %1500.00...

So 15 years later some sleaze ball credit college agency sends us a letter that they would settle the account for $900.00 if we 'act' immediately....

where the hell is our useless gov't and their 'consumer protection' legislation being backed up??????

just like the Sherman Anti Trust Act on Oil Companies price fixing and price gouging, who is enforcing that?

as long as these outfits pay taxes on this stuff, our useless federal govt will happily look the other way....

so the key is to just not do credit cards...15 years of not using them and I have no regrets...

I don't care who the credit card is from...

and what happened to the good old days when the interest limit was only 12 %????

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Actually, I consider it more Cabela's problem than my problem. After all, Cabela's advertises and does all sorts of things so that they can be in my life. I do not need Cabela's.

My friends get a second chance, sometimes. Businesses do not.

Karen talked to two totally ineffective reps and they truly gave her a half-hour of double-talk and run-around. After that, I was turned over to what apparently was the "closer." The man I talked to truly did not care what happened to my payment, what happened in my account or if I stayed as a client ... I was simply another head.

His words, "ARE WE DONE HERE?" keep ringing in my head. It was obvious that there were much more important things that he needed to do.

I'm fine with that. Cabela's VISA is simply another card and "the closer" is just another yuppie bank dickhead.

As for the fifty dollars. Heck, they can have it. If fifty dollars is so important that Cabela's VISA will lie to get it then, fine, the money is theirs with my total blessing.

And my business, both VISA and sporting goods, goes elsewhere. My choice.

Steve

Steve,

good for you! I love it when outfits like this, will actually try and hurt someone who can hurt their business in return.....

Even buying something from Cabelas has dropped a lot from reading this thread...

where in the hell did honesty and intergrity disappear to, in American business????

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Me and Cabelas had issues some years ago over returned cheap junk that I put on there credit card. took months to get it fixed to my satisfaction I have not done business with cabelas since. No loss to me.

My point is this has been going on for years with them and they do not care about the customer.

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently had a problem at the nearest Cabelas store with a lying smart assed employee. I did buy a couple things and got home still not feeling very kindly toward Cabelas so I filled out the online survey with the info from the bottom of my receipt.

The store managers did seem concerned but putting a boot to a bad employee doesn't make me any happier.

So, here's my suggestion. Everyone here with a Cabelas receipt fill out the online survey with a note to the effect that treating decent customers poorly will result lower revenue. Give them a link to this thread. If my experience is any indication, there will be action. Maybe not enough to help friend Steve but it might get somebody a lesson in good customer service.

D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A little off the subject but not much. I've had a Capital One card for years. When I took it out I was "to have a lifetime interest rate of 6.99 percent." Never would the rate change so they said. I've never been late and have paid off when I got the bill except for a couple of times so they have made a bit of interest on me. This week I got a form letter from them saying in May the interest rate would go to prime PLUS about 12% and change each month if the prime changed. I called and got a nice fellow and explained the situation about the lifetime rate. He said he knew what I was talking about and he also pays his card off each month and that he got the same letter. He said EVERY card holder got the letter and nothing could be done about it. Even talking to a supervisor would not make any difference. Claims it was changed because the banks are losing money on some credit card accounts due to not paying. I told him they could have the card back. His reply was to get me to take the rewards program (same high rate) and get 1% back at the end of the year on all items charged during the year. I'm staying because they are going to pay me to use their card. I'll never use it that I don't pay the whole charge by the due date. We will just see who makes money off that card and it will be me not them. Heck, I can borrow money from my margin account at less than they charge.

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have had a Cabelas card for more than 5 years. I guess I have been luckey with the bank's customer service as when I have called in I have gotten along well ( having the late fee removed).
I travel for my work and put a bunch of expenses on my card, get reimbursed by my employer and keep the points.
It makes a nice Christmas gift for me indirectly from my boss!

I am one gun away from happy
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just for kicks and giggles, I thought that I'd use my Cabela's Points. Hey, I might as well use them, rather than let them die.

So, I called the 1-800-237-4444 number and got a really great order gal on the line. Richard Beebe (owner of Redding) sent me a wonderful .257 Weatherby die setup, but I thought it would be cool to have a regular Full Length Sizer and Seater and I'm too darned proud to ask my friends at Redding for more cry.

So I asked the nice lady for an RCBS die set in .257 Weatherby. They were out of stock.

So I asked her for two boxes of .257 Weatherby brass. They were out of stock.

After that, I guess I just needed to talk to someone at Cabela's about the VISA sutuation, so I told her about it. She was wonderfully sympathetic and she reminded me of what the "old Cabela's ... including the VISA ... was like.

When Karen and I owned our jewelry store, we gave a "Good Guy Medal" and a free dinner for two at an expensive local resturaunt to an outstanding employee every month. Frankly, if this lady had been my employee, I would have given her a medal.

She was even dismayed that we could not spend the Cabela's Points together. Nice gal and a credit to Cabela's.

As for the Cabela's VISA: I checked online and they apparently have not received my check in over-payment of the account yet. After I see that they are over-paid, I will shred the card and Cabela's, in any capacity, will be gone from my life forever.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,802 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,981
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.