Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
I've been carrying IWB for quite a few years now.

Recently, I've been having moderate to severe flare-ups of my sciatic nerve on the same side as I carry.

After the last flare-up, I stopped carrying for a time. Yesterday, I carried IWB all day, and today the sciatic is acting up again.

Suggestions as to continue to carry, but not IWB, would be greatly appreciated.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
BTW - ankle holsters are out. Hate'm.

Normal attire (Mon-Fri) is a suit and tie. Weekends and after work is jeans-T-shirt or Jeans-sweatshirt.

Preferred CCW is a BHP, but there are quite a few other horses in the stable.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I am no MD but had the something similar happen to me when I was hunting out west a few years back. Carried a Blackhawk on my hip for 3 days and my back and hip were almost numb at the end of each day. I think it changed my stride or balance and I was trying to compensate with every step I took.

Can you reposition it or change sides for a few days?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
either move it forward a bit or go to a belt slide type and wear long enough shirts. You saw how I carry and where, no problems in some 40+ years.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Current IWB holsters are RH. Switching sides isn't feasible from that standpoint, thought I can/do shoot ambi.

However, if I switch sides, I'm concerned I'll just eventually start firing up the other sciatic. That, would not be good.

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
T;

I'll try moving it forward. Belt-slides don't conceal well enough. BT/DT.

If I could get away with OC, I would. However, current conditions don't permit that option.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess my first attempt would be a lighter gun in the same familiar position. Go with aluminum or plastic and maybe less bullets and see if it causes the same aggravation.

Myself I detest IWB with holsters but regardless I would try to change as little as possible if you're happy with the current arrangement excepting the pain.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That and maybe going to a smaller/lighter frame pistol. I know a J frame .38 isn't exactly your cup-o-tea, but better something than harsh words. AND I know you are knowledgeable enough to pick good ammo for what ever you are packing.

I actually have a permanent indentation where I carry that little Smith which was where I carried the Colt Cobra before the SS Smiths came along. Just a tad past 90 degrees to the umbilicus with a forward cant keeps it pretty well hidden under any shirt that ain't form fitting.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Switching CCW piece is certainly an option. Ain't like I haven't done that before.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I changed over to a Kydex paddel for my Glock 26 and was amazed how well it concealed. You might wont to give one of those a try. They are not real expensive so if it doesnt work out you wont be out much money.

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
I've tried Kydex and was not happy with the feel at all (cold, sharp, inflexible). Excellent suggestion, though, and perhaps worthy of reconsideration.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the Fobus paddle for 90% of my conceal carry and I just buy a shirt one size bigger than i wear. This works great for me.
I have never liked the IWB holsters to uncomfortable unless you wear loose pant .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Move it a little forward to about 3 o'clock; should help a fair amount.

Also a shorter holster (& necessarily, a shorter gun) will also help.

IMO, weight will make a HUGE difference.

Also some larger gun holsters have a "tab" to help distribute pressure to alleviate the problem.

Carrying a 20 oz Glock 27 or a 28 oz alloy framed 1911 is waaaaay less fatiguing than carrying an all steel 1911 of any version for me.

The Sparks I got from you works well for me as do the 2 Brommelands for a Commander size & a Gov't size 1911.......I have no sciatic issues, but as Mr. Lee noted, he's carried for years w/o any; people are made different. The Brommelands are truly fantastic.

If you want the Sparks back to try for awhile or want to borrow one of the Brommelands to try for a bit, let me know, but they are all for 1911's. The wait on the Brommelands is 6-8 months; I lucked out and found some ready to ship.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree that kydex for IWB does not work but I use a paddel Fobus like bea175 uses and really like them.

You are welcome to come by the shop sometime and try mine on and wear it around the shop and see if you like it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
BTW - ankle holsters are out. Hate'm.

Normal attire (Mon-Fri) is a suit and tie. Weekends and after work is jeans-T-shirt or Jeans-sweatshirt.

Preferred CCW is a BHP, but there are quite a few other horses in the stable.
A man only carries IWB. You'll just have to bear with it. laugh

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
In all seriousness, the condition you refer to is an inflammation issue. A change in diet, and regular daily vigorous exercise of at least one half hour will likely clear it up.

For diet, avoid refined flour products (pasta and other noodles cooked al dente are ok in moderation, so long as they make up only a small part of the meal, but most breads, cookies, and cakes are out), baked or boiled potatoes (fried, oven fried, or fried chips are ok in moderation) and white rice (other than aged Basmati rice). Stop drinking diet sodas and switch to water or milk. Main diet should be protein/fat/non-starchy vegetables. Avoid caffeine, which is a diuretic, and interferes with hydration.

Daily exercise helps by increasing the efficiency with which your body processes glucose, thus lowering its need to manufacture and secrete insulin. Insulin in the blood stream is the root cause of most inflammation issues.

PS What is called "heart disease" is, for the most part, an inflammation issue caused by lack of exercise and eating refined white starches. Insulin causes inflammation of the artery walls (along with everything else), and over time this creates microscopic cracks on which plaque can attach, accumulate, and harden, eventually building up and causing blockages. It is the disease of modern civilized human beings, in other words. Folks still living like all humans used to live don't get "heart disease," because they work their bodies every day and don't eat the crap we eat.

PPS Our bodies, and all of its complex systems, evolved to service the needs of a species that did a good bit of physical labor every single day, and never consumed refined starches. Altering either of those conditions throws the system out of whack, i.e,. failure to exercise daily, and a diet containing refined starches to any significant degree, is like putting sugar in a car's gas tank.

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Sounds like just another reason to get my lazy azz back into shape.

But, avoid caffeine? As in don't drink coffee? Blasphemy......

Diet drinks? Can't touch them. One swallow of that stuff will result in a migraine; one full soda and I'll be in agony. Severely allergic to phenylketuronetics (sic).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
In all seriousness, the condition you refer to is an inflammation issue. A change in diet, and regular daily vigorous exercise of at least one half hour will likely clear it up.

For diet, avoid refined flour products (pasta and other noodles cooked al dente are ok in moderation, so long as they make up only a small part of the meal, but most breads, cookies, and cakes are out), baked or boiled potatoes (fried, oven fried, or fried chips are ok in moderation) and white rice (other than aged Basmati rice). Stop drinking diet sodas and switch to water or milk. Main diet should be protein/fat/non-starchy vegetables. Avoid caffeine, which is a diuretic, and interferes with hydration.

Daily exercise helps by increasing the efficiency with which your body processes glucose, thus lowering its need to manufacture and secrete insulin. Insulin in the blood stream is the root cause of most inflammation issues.

PS What is called "heart disease" is, for the most part, an inflammation issue caused by lack of exercise and eating refined white starches. Insulin causes inflammation of the artery walls (along with everything else), and over time this creates microscopic cracks on which plaque can attach, accumulate, and harden, eventually building up and causing blockages. It is the disease of modern civilized human beings, in other words. Folks still living like all humans used to live don't get "heart disease," because they work their bodies every day and don't eat the crap we eat.

PPS Our bodies, and all of its complex systems, evolved to service the needs of a species that did a good bit of physical labor every single day, and never consumed refined starches. Altering either of those conditions throws the system out of whack, i.e,. failure to exercise daily, and a diet containing refined starches to any significant degree, is like putting sugar in a car's gas tank.

Man, that's pretty deep, Hawk.........you a doc or something?

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's another thought; not saying the gun weight is not a contribting factor, but maybe you need a new or better (more supportive) pair of shoes.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Man, that's pretty deep, Hawk.........you a doc or something?

MM
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. laugh

I've been studying this stuff for most of my adult life. My dad's a doctor, and was the first (many decades before these ideas came to be accepted in the mainstream of medicine) to clue me into the relationship between diet and metabolism, particularly with regard to glucose and insulin, and the havoc insulin wreaks on the body (at best, like government, insulin is a necessary evil, and the least amount of it your body can get away with producing is best). If you want to read further, just google such topics as insulin resistance and glycemic load index.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,171
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.