Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have used the search function but I am not turning up much for "double rifles" on this board. Am I looking in the wrong section?

Do I just need to start a "Double Rifle" thread?

Thnx

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
what kind of info are you after? I've written some here and there.

maybe try searching by name? heym,searcy,chapuis,merkel, etc

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
You could start a double rifle thread. In fact perhaps Rick should have seperate heading for double rifles only...I have been shooting doubles for about 30 years I guess, and doubles are an interesting subject and actually a whole new ball game as what is fine with a bolt gun or any other action seldom applies to the double, it's a whole nuther world...a world full of folklore, and old maids tales! smile

M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well - about all I know about doubles is ... to hold them makes me happy.

Although I am sorely tempted to jump in what I KNOW is the low end of the market and buy the Remington 45-70 double (because it is probably the only one I can afford), I am wondering if I should just save my pennies until I can pay a few thousand more and get something else.

I guess I just don't know enough about them to intelligently even make a plan for owning one (or several) someday.

In an ideal world, I could buy a few to enjoy and as "investments"

Any suggestions on where to start learning besides right here? If there are threads here that I haven't turned up, I'd appreciate any links to them you could guive me.

Thanks in advance. Mike

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A double rifle means dangerous game; therefore have any double inspected and appraised by an expert before you buy.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B2

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I'd avoid the Rem/Baikal like the plague. really.

we had a thread last year (in this forum) on the subject.
it'd be worth looking up.

personally, I'm fond of the Heym 88B (I have one).

I've not shot a Searcy, but have shot a Chapuis/Merkel/Blaser/and older Rigby.

It's worth at least saving until you get into the Chapuis/Merkel price range.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
found another:

more pics

there are a number of threads scattered around here and there - I know of about a dozen or so members that have them.

I'd like to see a double rifle forum here....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not to steal any one's thunder here, if you really want to kick a few tires on this subject, you might want to try this link. HERE

There are more than a few posts on this topic. I know of no other site that is more devoted to the subject @ hand.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
ya. BTDDT. Good info - it's a slow-moving site though. once-a-month reading is more than enough to "keep up" smile

an you don't get yelled at as much there as you do on AR. blush

grin

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see where the Baikal 45-70 and 30-06 doubles are selling in New Zealand for around $900 US.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks guys!
I now have some reading to do smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458Win
I see where the Baikal 45-70 and 30-06 doubles are selling in New Zealand for around $900 US.

It kinda warms the heart to see that Russian slave labor has finally paid off for them.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I had the pleasure of owning 2 fine Browning Express doubles a couple of years ago . It was a pleasure to use such well made rifles,they were over and under doubles, one in 7x65 rimmed and the other in 30.06.I tried nearly every combination of tried and true loads available , BUT it was very frustrating trying to regulate them without the exact ammo.They were both regulated for Browning Belgium factory ammo.This particular ammo was never imported , so a trial and error period of 5 years began .The best I ever did was 2" groups at 80yds , In the end I sold both and made a nice profit BUT they were a joy to own.Double rifles can be fun to own as a deer rifle or pig gun , probably the best time I've had, in the sense that I had to start from scratch and work up.If you see a double in a little calibre like I did grab it , they are more fun to shoot ,cost less and don't hurt like the big ones do. Regards and good shooting.

C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by UtahLefty

Unless the only thing available to pry open a crate was a baikal...

Valmets!! Brownings!! They show up every so often in a search. I had a valmet 12/12, 06/06
Sold 'em kick myself in the arse everytime a thread like this shows up, lol.

And Paul Jaeger was converting ruger red labels into O/U big bores, i.e. 45-70 etc.

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
FYI, I started a cape gun /drilling thread in the shotgun forum too!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...mp;Number=2943223&page=0#Post2943223

M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by CWG
Originally Posted by UtahLefty

Unless the only thing available to pry open a crate was a baikal...

Valmets!! Brownings!! They show up every so often in a search. I had a valmet 12/12, 06/06
Sold 'em kick myself in the arse everytime a thread like this shows up, lol.

And Paul Jaeger was converting ruger red labels into O/U big bores, i.e. 45-70 etc.

ok...but why avoid them? Are they unsafe or just ugly?

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
read the rem double thread I linked above, as well as it's internal links.

very little handwork + high pressure round + Russia = trouble.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It seems to me a double rifle in 45-70 is about as useless as tits on a boar hog...

The double is good for one thing only and that is when a elephant, hippo, lion, or buffalo is all over your butt at less than 10 yards then that quick second shot is the greatest thing since sliced white bread!!!:)

I have always had at least one double rifle in a big bore until recently and I finally decided I would just as soon have a good bolt gun in a 404 or 416..Doubles are mostly nostalgia and not needed in todays safari where you have a world of back up

They are however a thing of beauty, and pride of ownership is worth a lot...I just can't justify them any more as I dont' go to Africa every year like I used to, and I have too much money tied up in horses these days to afford the double rifles..

Last edited by atkinson; 04/07/09.
M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I agree. Nostalgia and appraciation of the fine piece itself are the ONLY reasons to buy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 3,103 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,672
Posts18,534,185
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.