Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Saturday April 11 2009 at 8:30 A NC Game Warden (Minton)shot and killed 76 year old (Coffee)on his own land.Check the web site of WXII12 out of Winston-Salem NC for the lastest news...

Here is what I was told by a warden ,Minton and another warden where out doing there thing,they were going to check out the farm on cane creek.Minton knew the land so he went.He came across Coffee setting in a tree stand hunting turkey over bait.He told Coffee to come down and he would not.So they fussed for about 15 min and Coffee was telling Minton that it was his land and he could do what ever where ever and if he did not leave he would shot him.Minton ordered him down the tree and Coffee said if I come down and if you are still here I will kill you.Coffee 76 years old came down the tree by using a ROPE Ladder.Went he got to the ground,Minton had take cover and was radioing for back up and moments he was call for EMS and was doing CRP....
That I know no details of what happened between the first call and the last,that is info only for the SBI and the warden that told he would not say anything about it.I do know that Minton has been in law enforcement for 12 years and has been in trouble before for being hot headed.I think that he could of went back to the road and waited for Coffee and his son and two grandsons to come out and that would of given time for back up to get there and no one would have been killed.

In NC the Game Warden has more rights than the land owner if he thinks game laws are being broke.They can come and go on your land as the please and even in your home,Like it or Not.I also think that,that kind of power goes to there head and they think to put it nicey they are god.I have not use what so ever for the game warden.And because the is a family without a dad,granddad and a county that has lost a good man,why,because of a pill of corn..Damn shame.Please remember this family in your prayers...

my dream job.....life guard of the gene pool!!!!!
GB1

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Many gaps have to be filled in before I render an opinion on this one!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Here is the link to the what the news is reporting

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30179740/

my dream job.....life guard of the gene pool!!!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In Florida, the fish and game guys have the legal right to be on your property, in your home or vehicle to investigate any reasonable assumption that you have violated a game or fish law.

Most any cop will kill you if you threaten them.

Sam......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Gotta stop those hunting over bait by any means.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I couldn't respect a GW that wouldn't kill an old man over a turkey and a pile of corn. The law is the law.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
LOL...I'm thinking there might be a bit more to it. I sure hope so, anyways!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Like arresting an 80 year old man for picking up a hooker? The law is the law, but if one can't factor in a bit of discretion and common sense they shouldn't be strapping on a gun and a badge.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Interesting concept, cops of any kind, especially wildlife officers with special rights to search... Or did you mean they can go in any house "With a warrant"?

Big difference...

No winners here and obviously the details are sketchy.

Wonder if the old man saw Clint's latest... Hmmm....

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Mississippi Game wardens must have a search warrent before they can search your home unless you give them permission.

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
IC B3

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by isaac
Many gaps have to be filled in before I render an opinion on this one!

Yeah,me too. Old Geezers can get pretty obstinate and think they are still able to kick ass.
Had an 80 year old still active farmer who came upon a road block because his farm was in fire.
The officer at the road block refused to let him through so he tried to get around it and ended up in a fist fight and arrested. Have my feelings on that one but sometimes you just got to let those in authority be arseholes and file it in your head for when you can effectively take your turn.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
From Louisiana

�55. Search with or without warrant

A. The secretary, the deputy secretary, or any commissioned wildlife enforcement agent of the enforcement division may visit, inspect, and examine, with or without search warrant, records, any cold storage plant, warehouse, boat, store, car, conveyance, automobile or other vehicle, airplane or other aircraft, basket or other receptacle, or any place of deposit for wild birds, wild quadrupeds, fish, or other aquatic life or any parts thereof whenever there is probable cause to believe that a violation has occurred.

B. Commissioned wildlife enforcement agents of the enforcement division are authorized to visit or inspect at frequent intervals without the need of search warrants, records, cold storage plants, bait stands, warehouses, public restaurants, public and private markets, stores, and places where wild birds, game quadrupeds, fish, or other aquatic life or any parts thereof may be kept and offered for sale, for the purpose of ascertaining whether any laws or regulations under the jurisdiction of the department have been violated. They also shall inspect establishments for commercial licenses required by the department to retail and/or wholesale commercial fish and bait fish where applicable under the provisions of this Chapter. The department may institute proceedings in any court of competent jurisdiction for violation of laws or regulations under its jurisdiction.

Acts 1985, No. 876, �3, eff. July 23, 1985; Acts 1999, No. 13, �1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Give a guy a gun and unlimited power and...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Old men can also be hard of hearing a bit short of awareness. Thinking discretion could have helped, but hard saying without knowing everything, and we will obviously only get one side of the story.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Let's not jump to any conclusions, just yet.

What if the landowner followed through with his alleged threat and pointed his weapon towards the GW?

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by isaac

What if....

Originally Posted by Steelhead
we will obviously only get one side of the story.

Unless there was another witness, that about sums up the situation.

A gun pointed by a 76 year old can still kill, if thats indeed what happened...

Last edited by Pete E; 04/13/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It was the mans land and he should be able to hunt anyway he likes on his own property . No Game Warden has the right to kill some old man who has hunt his land this way for probably most of his life over a Turkey and a bag of corn. Government and State abuse at it worst. I don't care what the circumstances where THIS game warden should lose his job and see jail time and the family should sue the state because if there ever was a justified law suit this family has one. Prime reason why a lot of people hate Law Enforcement Officers

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The law is the law, but if one can't factor in a bit of discretion and common sense they shouldn't be strapping on a gun and a badge.

Nuff said. IMHO, [bleep] the GW.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Agreed, too much conjecture. If what is typed is so, I can't imagine a guy with a gun and a badge 'fussing' with an old man perched in a tree thinking that anything good would come out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As has been said lots of blanks to draw to in this.
I will state that if somebody tells me they are going to shoot me and they have the means to do so danged if I am going to give them the chance to fulfill their promise. I don't care if they are as old as Methusela.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 14 invisible), 993 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,131
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.