Hop To
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by isaac
Originally Posted by Steelhead
At what point is something 'hunting'? Is it illegal for a man to sit over a pile of corn on his property? Could have have been hunting something else that was in season (raccoon?)

If I'm legally hunting over bait for deer in December and a turkey comes to the bait, it isn't turkey season, it isn't legal to hunt turkey over bait, aren't I hunting illegally? Guess not since I didn't shoot the turkey, so why is it so on April the 11th?

Don't know all the facts but I will assume it is illegal to turkey hunt over corn during turkey season as it is in Va and WVa. Don't know though. I also have to assume the guy was only turkey hunting. All these assumptions are what premised me saying that there were too many gaps to render an opinion.

I'm also assuming the old man made an overt act in furtherance of his threat to kill the GW. The GW scrambled for acover for a reason, I suppose. I'm playing along with limited facts,that's all!

As I said, when is hunting actually hunting? You missed the point.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
A 76 year old guy that is still climbing trees is newsworth in and of it's self IMO.

Plus a ROPE LADDER to boot.....

I think the warden just wanted to show who was boss.Everyone that knew the old man wants the wardens head

my dream job.....life guard of the gene pool!!!!!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Does anyone really think the old man who owned the land needed killing? I'd be really surprised if this could not have had a different outcome with a different approach. Leaving and coming back or any number of variations might have preserved the man's life, and that is should be the most important thing. Saddly, law, and the convenience and deference to it's stewards, appears more important than life.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Game Warden version , to bad the old man can't tell his side of the story. Rifle or Shotgun against a pistol , the old man couldn't have been trying to hard to shoot him. Warden story sounds a little fishie to me.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Right at any risk isn't right. Perhaps some are more accustomed to being killed for hunting the Kings game, we aren't.

He wasn't killed because he was "hunting the Kings game" rather because he allegedly threatened the GW...If that threat didn't take place, the GW should be charged with murder...If the threat did take place, the GW acted inself defense while carrying out his duties..

You mention a couple of interactions you had with gamewardens..Because of the way you handled them, things didn't escalate to the point where shots were fired...Unless it can be proved otherwise, I'd say the old guy could have done the same as you..

Regards,

Peter

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by bea175
Game Warden version , to bad the old man can't tell his side of the story.

The man's grankids might be able to do so!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nor would a banter with an old man for 15 minutes when DISCRETION could have been used.

Obviously if the GW said I need to see your license and the old man pointed the gun at him, well you know the rest.

Let me ask you, have you ever treated old folks different in a store than say a 22 year old? Would you have handled a situation different if a 22 year old said [bleep] you than you would a 76 year old man?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like arresting an 80 year old man for picking up a hooker?

Looking forward to retirement ????

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I expect the guy with the gun and badge to be in full control of his facilities, I don't necessarily of a 76 year old man on his property.

One is expected to decide the best course of action and best possible outcome. If it went as written it would seem the one being paid didn't.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Wait till the above happens to a 15 year old kid.

Hunting the King's game is tough business.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Pete E

You usually have pretty sound opinions, but at the very least there is a cultural gap here in understanding what our expectations are.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The GW is going to have a hard sell on this one. No sympathy here.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E

On reflection, perhaps it would have been better if had backed off and dealt with the situation once the guy was out of the tree,....

Steelhead,

I did say the above after reading your earlier post, but the reality is that didn't happen...What did happen is that the situation was escalated by both parties to the point shots were fired...

Whether the GW's actions were justified will be for the courts to decide..There also maybe more background such as the history of the two people involved that we are not privy to yet..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When was the last time you cussed an old person that could not drive worth a damn? How about some punk kid?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wait till the above happens to a 15 year old kid.

No wait until it happens to a 15 year old Black or Hispanic kid

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
toltecgriz,

Not a culteral gap, I was simply looking at whether the GW was a) expected to enforce the law, and b) whether he was entitled to shoot in selfdefence when doing so..

But rolling things back a bit before the shots were taken, i do agree that perhaps there could have been a better way for the GW to have handled it..

Regards,

Peter

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal

In NC the Game Warden has more rights than the land owner if he thinks game laws are being broke.They can come and go on your land as the please and even in your home,Like it or Not.
Same here in TAX HELL WISCONSIN... If they feel you're in violation of any DNR law they'll follow you to the moon and back..

Don't know about NC., but in TAX HELL WISCONSIN the DNR wardens have more power (in their minds) than the Governor and/or P-BO...

Sorry to hear of this episode, but at the same time it's not a good idea to tell a warden you're going to shoot him... BUT, at the same time, it would have been wiser if the warden had called for backup/assistance before anything got out of control...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you are going to shoot someone, then for God sake don't tell them , just do it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

On reflection, perhaps it would have been better if had backed off and dealt with the situation once the guy was out of the tree,....

Steelhead,

I did say the above after reading your earlier post, but the reality is that didn't happen...What did happen is that the situation was escalated by both parties to the point shots were fired...

Whether the GW's actions were justified will be for the courts to decide..There also maybe more background such as the history of the two people involved that we are not privy to yet..

Yes, the situation escalated and that is the point. The GW was the one that allowed it to happen. Not saying the old man was right but the every situation needs to be weighed. Is TURKEY hunting over bait worth the escalation? That is why we pay folks to wear a badge/gun. What would have been the outcome if he just walked away and charged the man later? This wasn't a zero-sum game.

What was to be gained and what was to be lost needs to be factored.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
The GW is going to have a hard sell on this one. No sympathy here.

Amen!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 320090T, 257 roberts, 3dtestify, 21 invisible), 1,192 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,161
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.