Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal
Saturday April 11 2009 at 8:30 A NC Game Warden (Minton)shot and killed 76 year old (Coffee)on his own land.Check the web site of WXII12 out of Winston-Salem NC for the lastest news...

Here is what I was told by a warden ,Minton and another warden where out doing there thing,they were going to check out the farm on cane creek.Minton knew the land so he went.He came across Coffee setting in a tree stand hunting turkey over bait.He told Coffee to come down and he would not.So they fussed for about 15 min and Coffee was telling Minton that it was his land and he could do what ever where ever and if he did not leave he would shot him.Minton ordered him down the tree and Coffee said if I come down and if you are still here I will kill you.Coffee 76 years old came down the tree by using a ROPE Ladder.Went he got to the ground,Minton had take cover and was radioing for back up and moments he was call for EMS and was doing CRP....
That I know no details of what happened between the first call and the last,that is info only for the SBI and the warden that told he would not say anything about it.I do know that Minton has been in law enforcement for 12 years and has been in trouble before for being hot headed.I think that he could of went back to the road and waited for Coffee and his son and two grandsons to come out and that would of given time for back up to get there and no one would have been killed.

In NC the Game Warden has more rights than the land owner if he thinks game laws are being broke.They can come and go on your land as the please and even in your home,Like it or Not.I also think that,that kind of power goes to there head and they think to put it nicey they are god.I have not use what so ever for the game warden.And because the is a family without a dad,granddad and a county that has lost a good man,why,because of a pill of corn..Damn shame.Please remember this family in your prayers...

You best go and actually find out what the law is.Wardens do not have super authority to tresspass or search your house.They have to have (probable cause)and be damn able to prove it.I took The WI.DNR to Court for tresspassing and won.These fuggers will try to BS you but They cant fight our rights.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=Pete E]toltecgriz,

Not a culteral gap, I was simply looking at whether the GW was a) expected to enforce the law, and b) whether he was entitled to shoot in selfdefence when doing so..

I beg to differ on the cultural gap matter... Americans... ESPECIALLY rural land owning Americans, are very serious about being left alone on our own property.

Please don't feed the trolls!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This GW won't last long. The friends will set up a bait, and an accident will happen.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Only question I have, IS IT ILLEGAL TO SIT OVER A PILE OF CORN IN NC?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

It is during spring turkey season. Bait has to be removed within 10 days of NC spring gobbler hunting.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by isaac
Originally Posted by bea175
Game Warden version , to bad the old man can't tell his side of the story.

The man's grankids might be able to do so!
I don't see where they were there. I believe it was just the land owner and the GW. Funny how it often works out that way in these kinds of situations.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by isaac
LOL...I'm thinking there might be a bit more to it. I sure hope so, anyways!

Since when is it necessary to determine the facts in a case before rendering an opinion ?

smile

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So if you are sitting by a pile of corn with a shotgun that was set out to feed your cows in hopes of killing a coyote you are breaking the law?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by High_Brass

It is during spring turkey season. Bait has to be removed within 10 days of NC spring gobbler hunting.

Why was he turkey hunting? I was riding in a boat in Alaska along the beach with a rifle during spring bear season, does that mean I am bear hunting?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The bottom line is that an old man got killed ON HIS OWN LAND because he would not immediately submit to a game warden's alleged authority. Hell, it would probably have only been a $500 dollar fine and a couple of points off of his license anyway.

It really speaks for the general law abiding nature of rural Americans that game wardens aren't killed on a regular basis. It seems that many of them are frustrated cops and they really do tend to throw their weight around. Too much more of this kind of crap and game wardens could be an endangered species. They usually work alone and there would be a better chance of solving the Kennedy assasination than catching some pissed off guy who decided to shoot a game warden in the head from 200 yards away.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So if you are sitting by a pile of corn with a shotgun that was set out to feed your cows in hopes of killing a coyote you are breaking the law?

As far as I know, yes. If a GW can put you in a "hunting situation" he/she can cite you accordingly.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So if you are carrying a gun at ANYTIME other than an open game season you could be cited?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Or cited for not even having an firearm and NO license whilst walking your own land during a season?

Gotta love that logic.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

YES,,,,you can bait deer with natural bait only and fall turkey the bait must be gone 10 days before you can hunt in an area that has been baited.Guy got a ticket last year for hunting on a farm that had a corn field.He beat it in court be still had to go though the trouble.......
The warden here don't play around,he a bad azz and is quick to let you know it.He has got me twice and this last time I almost lost my hunting lic for 2 years because a man gave a deer and I gave it to my nephew...no tag number for the deer.I was in the wrong,but the way he treated me and cussed me was not needed

my dream job.....life guard of the gene pool!!!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Right at any risk isn't right. Perhaps some are more accustomed to being killed for hunting the Kings game, we aren't.

Dittos

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You guys ain't following it. So it's illegal to sit over corn with a gun, but what if you aren't hunting? Can you bait coyotes?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think he was turkey hunting. I do believe the gentleman was protecting his corn from crows. Had a turkey been perforated, then I would assume he was turkey hunting. In any case a taxpayer is dead at the hands of someone at the public teat. How does the GW expect to get paid if he kills the guy writing his check?

Bad all round, but certainly worse for the land owner and family.

If the GW knew the guy, and tough words were exchanged, all that had to happen is for the GW to tell gramps in the tree that this turkey will cost extra this year. Stop by the office when you get a chance and I'll give you the ticket. Then walk away and deal with it when cooler heads prevail.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Prezactly, when is hunting hunting

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeup. If I'm caught with any firearm other than a shotgun during spring gobbler season I could be cited. Private or public land. When spring gobbler season is closed, I can carry about anything on private land but public land you're limited to a handun in 22LR with no more than a 5.5" bbl during periods of no season(s) open for any game animal.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't care about public land for this discussion.

Screw it, the old man deserved to die. The GW did the right thing, helped to raise it along after 15 minutes of bantering with the old man. Hopefully next time he will have learned his lesson and just shoot them after the first verbal commend to leave climb down.

Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 204guy, 21 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,206
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.