Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thats because Wisconsin is another planet, don't ya know grin.

No offense to anyone, I've been to Wisconsin more than once, its a nice state!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well have only read the first page of the thread, and although the facts are not known, I wonder if it doesn't come down to the guy being predisposed to be angry at the law.

If it were my land I would like the fact that the fish and Game were keeping an eye open over my property, but attitude is just that, and maybe he didn't like the wardens tone or demeanor, or maybe he just doesn't like wardens..

Much is made from the article about the guy being on his own land, not sure if the officer knew that to be fact, or if that should matter, not knowing the game laws of the state. I guess it is always possible he popped him for no reason, but won't even speculate on that.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Some of the Wardens are pretty bad in WI, prob. like a lot of places.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Well look at it this way. He threatened to kill a peace officer while he was carrying a firearm, propably would have cost him some time in the pen. He very likely could have died while still in prison. At least he died in a place he loved.

Bill

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oulufinn
So many states give the bunny cops such unlimited power that it is no small wonder when these things happen. They are nearly untouchable, and they act the part..

The license checks here in Texas have always been really great, positive experiences (Probably a dozen times.). The pricks up in Wisconsin are the most surly, JBT, azzholes. It's like they are from another planet.

This latest hero will likely get a medal for whacking the uncooperative old bastid.... [bleep] awesome..

..or maybe said turkey hunter had your disposition. Sounds to me chances are that an encounter with yourself and a game warden, more than likely wouldn't be too pleasant for said game officer.

Maybe it wouldn't be a stretch to guess that it wouldn't take much for a game warden to push your button either, whether intentional or not..

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by rrroae
To those who feel the GW's actions were justified, do you feel the same for what Janet Reno did at Waco and Ruby Ridge?

After all, the law is the law(discretion be damned).

Janet Reno didn't have anything to do with Ruby Ridge. That was GHWB's watch.

I don't know how this thing happened, but neither does anyone here. I will say if I expected trouble from a guy, I'd leave and call for help. However, if a 100 year old guy pointed a shotgun or rifle at me and threatened to kill me, I'd dust his ancient ass. I want to get old, too.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Here's hoping we are all lucky enough to be shot by a game warden whilst hunting in our favorite spot.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Here's hoping we are all lucky enough to be shot by a game warden whilst hunting in our favorite spot.

laugh laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing is documented as fact, so what can we say? In either a professional or casual experience though, anyone that threatens my life will be watched very carefully and not given any opportunity to follow through.

1Minute
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Heres another thought.

Everyone is carrying on about how the GW should have had enough experience and training to walk away and deal with the situation later. I neither agree or disagree with this because I wasn't there.

Did it ever occur that maybe 76 yrs of living should have provided enough training, experience and common sense to just come down , take his little ticket and go on about his business and then fight it in court rather than threatening a law enforcement officer?

Bill

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, except one needs to consider senility when dealing with a 76 year old person. Often times it's akin to dealing with a child.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, except one needs to consider senility when dealing with a 76 year old person. Often times it's akin to dealing with a child.

That is a very good point, but we can't assume senility was a factor, nor can we assume that he didn't take it into account.

Sounds as if minds are made up no matter what the game warden's story is. In some peoples eyes he is either a murderer, or a lying murderer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Originally Posted by 6mm250
The bottom line is that an old man got killed ON HIS OWN LAND because he would not immediately submit to a game warden's alleged authority. Hell, it would probably have only been a $500 dollar fine and a couple of points off of his license anyway.

No , the bottom line is that no one posting here (including me) knows exactly what went on other than the old man is dead. We know nothing of the actions leading up to that event.

Mike

No, we pretty much do know what happened. And I don't really care what the GW says. As far as I'm concerned he is wrong and a murderer.

Oh , so you were there ?

Mike

And old man killed on his property when the underlying offense was a minor misdemeanor at best. Yep, that equals murder as far as I'm concerned and I don't have to be there to make that determination.

Since it's guessing season, what if the GW reached into his pack and pulled out the ticket book with the intent to write a ticket and leave it at that? The Old Man sees he's getting a ticket and threatens to shoot, while raising his gun? If the GW kills the Old timer in this scenario, it's murder in your book?

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Mind isn't made up, what is made up is the tragedy of the situation based on one old man hunting over corn.

I'm thinking I would have given him a pass in the first place. Damn shame a man can't feed his family from his own land. God save the King.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ranger1:
Maybe teachers should be licensed peace officers so the next time some loudmouth kid says I'll kill you, the teacher can pump 2-3 into his chest if he makes any furtive movements.

In recent years I've noticed a lot kids, mostly the hot headed boys, using the "I'm going to kill you" threat. These were not jokingly delivered, but had very serious overtones.

I'm 60+, and as kids we were instructed to NEVER utter such words. If I were to ever become that angry, I'd certainly not bother to give someone advance notice or oppotunity to turn the tables.

Our (Oregon) local school system now simply relays all such instances to the local law enforcement folks, and the offending kid/s get a visit.

1Minute
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Your right, except in this case the possible child was carrying a loaded weapon.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Exactly, that's why God invented Prudence.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mind isn't made up, what is made up is the tragedy of the situation based on one old man hunting over corn.

I'm thinking I would have given him a pass in the first place. Damn shame a man can't feed his family from his own land. God save the King.

When I said "some" was not referring to you, some others have already formed their opinion.

Let me ask you this, if this wasn't his property, say it was your property, would you want the warden enforcing the game laws on your property?

If the old guy proclaimed that he was the land owner, would it be out of line for the officer to verify that before deciding how to handle the situation?

Could be if the guy showed him proof that he was on his own land, maybe it goes on from there as you advocate, but maybe he proclaimed "I don't have to show you sheet".

Many hypothetical scenarios out there, chance he could be a cowboy and blew the guy away on a power trip, but then again that's what they said about the wardens Claude Dallas popped; but when the facts were in, it was the first encounter Dallas and the warden had ever had.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep.

I remember 6 years ago when a GW tried to give my 89 year old uncle a ticket for sitting on his swing and shooting groundhogs across the road(rural setting, dirt road).

What possesses some LEOs to force an issue for relatively minor offenses?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by oulufinn
So many states give the bunny cops such unlimited power that it is no small wonder when these things happen. They are nearly untouchable, and they act the part..

The license checks here in Texas have always been really great, positive experiences (Probably a dozen times.). The pricks up in Wisconsin are the most surly, JBT, azzholes. It's like they are from another planet.

This latest hero will likely get a medal for whacking the uncooperative old bastid.... [bleep] awesome..

..or maybe said turkey hunter had your disposition. Sounds to me chances are that an encounter with yourself and a game warden, more than likely wouldn't be too pleasant for said game officer.

Maybe it wouldn't be a stretch to guess that it wouldn't take much for a game warden to push your button either, whether intentional or not..

LOL.. The difference in experiences between my WIDNR and TPWD isn't me. One series of routine license checks has been positive and mutually respectful, the other... not so much. They have been over the same general time frame, as well, so, no bad ones while young and good ones while older. It is a difference in training and overall policies of 2 different states. I really don't expect someone like you to recognize the difference.

By the way, zero game citations in either state. smile

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 10 invisible), 1,023 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,126
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.