Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by isaac
I've had 8 and 9 year olds testify. If, after voir, the child witness can articulate his understanding of truthfulness and that he has the cognitive capabilites to understand the questions and articulate an abilty to truthfully answer, they testify. But, I've also had 11 year olds who weren't permitted to testify.

It's discretionary with the court. There are plenty of people in prison due to the testimony of 8-10 year olds.

Unfortunately the job of an attorney is to discredit a witnesses testimony or at the very least weaken it, things like that can scar a little child for the rest of their lives. I am sure some kids can take but some can't, those things have to be taken into consideration.

Last edited by raamw; 04/14/09.

NRA Life Member. Illinois Rifle Assoc Life Member, USN,
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by isaac
I've had 8 and 9 year olds testify. If, after voir, the child witness can articulate his understanding of truthfulness and that he has the cognitive capabilites to understand the questions and articulate an abilty to truthfully answer, they testify. But, I've also had 11 year olds who weren't permitted to testify.

It's discretionary with the court. There are plenty of people in prison due to the testimony of 8-10 year olds.

To exclude the only eye witness in a murder trial would require raising the bar mighty high. I was more surprised at the assertion, which perhaps I misunderstood, that such a witness wouldn't be allowed at all.

To the point of abusive direct or cross of a child, that is one reason a judge is there. It's not like it is on TV.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
raamw

If you want to consider scarring a child for life, consider requiring them to testify in a child sexual abuse case. I know the miscreant must be stopped, but I think the cost to the victim in testifying is just as great as being a victim. However, I don't have a palatable solution to that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It does, but I still don't think it takes a brave man to argue at end with a deaf old man perched in a tree and then shoot him when he hits the ground.

YMMV
The point if you allow belligerent people to break the law than only the decent people will get cited that is called stereo typing, we will only enforce the laws on the weak and timid

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If you don't have the right to say who does and who does not come onto your property,...it's not your property.

It's just that simple.

It's worse than that, they make you pay for the right to live on your own proprety.
Property tax.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
raamw

If you want to consider scarring a child for life, consider requiring them to testify in a child sexual abuse case. I know the miscreant must be stopped, but I think the cost to the victim in testifying is just as great as being a victim. However, I don't have a palatable solution to that.
I agree there should be special rules when a child is used and there is but it opens up the "mistrial" problems of restricting the cross and so on

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yes it does, but you also have the problem of a divorcing couple where one party makes such an accusation against the other for financial or custodial gain.

Hard cases make bad law.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shreck
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If you don't have the right to say who does and who does not come onto your property,...it's not your property.

It's just that simple.

It's worse than that, they make you pay for the right to live on your own proprety.
Property tax.
Actually your property taxes are assesed by county entities that provide services

I agree I don't care for the right to trespass unless they have probable cause that a crime has or is being committed but the powers to be granted them that right and we will have to live with that until it is overturned or modified. All police have that right especially in the HOT pursuit" or eminent danger theory

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by raamw
raamw

I agree there should be special rules when a child is used and there is but it opens up the "mistrial" problems of restricting the cross and so on
Divorce is civil law and the level of proof to win is a preponderance of evident that something occurred criminal law is beyond a reasonable doubt which leaves very little question marks if any to get a guity prime example the infamous OJ Simpson, beats the criminal case of multiple murders but convicted in the civil case of those murders.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I am aware of the difference. Your point eludes me.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
heavymetal,
are you fishing on the reservation or in NC waters?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd rather discuss why Pete E thinks a 10 year old eye witness shouldn't be allowed to testify.

What I actually said was:

Originally Posted by Pete E
Can a 10 year old child testify in court in cases like this, particularly when he is related to the deceased and is potentially open to "manipulation" by the family??

Notice the question marks ?? It was a question not an assertion....I would think a good defence attorney would take a child part on the witness stand, especially in this case where he could raise questions about the childs impartiality ect...

Whether that is a legitimate legal approach, I don't know...And if it was, I don't know whether such an approach would in the end be counterproductive in front of a jury???

I don't have an opinion on the matter as I am not familiar with American Law nor the day to day workings of your courts, hence the question...

Last edited by Pete E; 04/14/09.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Gonna be a pretty short case, witness can't testify, shooter can't and shootie is dead.

Here's hoping a turkey saw it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The guy was killed for threatening the life of an officer, and being armed and fully capable of it (and possibly attempting it).

Yeah, but that's according to who? Oh yeah, the GW who's the only one still alive. But hey, no worries. A GW would never lie to cover his own ass. Right?

If a dude can't figure out how to get the better of a 76 year old man hanging onto a ladder rope he shouldn't be wearing a gun.

An excellent observation. I'd love to hear the GW's explanation of how a 76 year old man came down a rope ladder while somehow simutaniously holding a shotgun in such a menacing fashion that he felt like he had no choice but to open fire. Here's another thought. If the old man really intended to kill the GW why would he have to climb down to do it? What was he carrying on that turkey hunt that required him to get that close? A sawed off .410?

If all a GW or any LEO for that matter has to do to justify a shooting is say, "I was threatened", then that is a license to kill.

True. Pretty awesome power to hand people there. Want to kill everyone you don't like? Hey, then just become a GW and catch them in the woods on a hunt. "He threatened me your honor and he had a gun". "Good work son, you're free to go".

You conveniently glossed over the part where the old man threatened to shoot the Game Warden.

And you've conveniently glossed over the fact that we are taking the GWs word that the old man said that. What would you expect the GW to say? "F%$# him, he pissed me off so I shot the old basT#@#." Not likely! When you are only left with one side of a story you can bet your ass that story is gonna paint the lone survivor in the best possible light.

hopefully somebody from the DA's office will contact you and we can get this guy behind bars before he waxes a little girl catching butterflies this spring.

What's to stop him? All he has to do is say she threatened him.

I'm sure they exist, but I haven't met one who hunts yet.

We have had some game wardens here that hunted. Unfortunately they mostly hunted at night. I don't know what it is about the GW profession but they seem to have about 5 times more bad apples in their barrel than any other branch of law enforcement. Hell, we even had one here that planted a silencer in a guys house and got him sent to federal prison for 2 years. Why? Cause they were both screwing around with the same woman. One way to get rid of the competition I guess. Now I guess another way is to catch them near a corn pile and open fire.

Last edited by Todd_Bradford; 04/14/09.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'd rather discuss why Pete E thinks a 10 year old eye witness shouldn't be allowed to testify.

What I actually said was:

Can a 10 year old child testify in court in cases like this, particularly when he is related to the deceased and is potentially open to "manipulation" by the family??

Notice the question marks ?? It was a question not an assertion....I would think a good defence attorney would take a child part on the witness stand, especially in this case where he could raise questions about the childs impartiality ect...

Whether that is a legitimate legal approach, I don't know...And if it was, I don't know whether such an approach would in the end be counterproductive in front of a jury???

I don't have an opinion on the matter as I am not familiar with American Law nor the day to day workings of your courts, hence the question...

I'm with you. But take out everything starting with "particularly" and you have my question. As I said, I wasn't challenging you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Again just a question on my part..

In the England and Wales, a child must be of the the age of legal resposibility (1O years old) before they can be prosecuted in court. I was wondering if the reverse might be true ie they must be a certain age before they are considered old enough to be reliable in a criminal court???

Could a young childs testimony alone be enough to convict "beyond all reasonable doubt" for instance??

Last edited by Pete E; 04/14/09.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
As I said above, there are plenty of pedophiles and other P'sOS in prison on the testimony of 7-10 year olds.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It could but it would certainly be examined closely. See Isaac's post. Once the child is qualified for truth and ability to communicate what happened, it would be a jury question as to how much weight to give the testimony.

A rule that flat excluded otherwise competent testimony merely due to age would, IMO, be extremely unfortunate. On the other hand allowing such testimony, knowing that is is unreliable, would be equally unfortunate.

Case by case basis in my jurisdiction. The younger the child, the higher the bar to qualify.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal
Don't know can't see the court taking a 10 year olds story in this case are any other and being a family member to boot.

Talk with the pastor again,they are tring to defuse the local rednecks.Last time a warden got on there bad side,they put a glass jar in a local bar and people put money in it and who ever kill the warden got the pot..Wasn't a sign on it or anything like that but everyone know the story.The warden moved to this county and later quit a went back home.You don't fire up Wilkes County rednecks to many to fight off.

IIRC Wilkes County was once thought to be the moonshine capital of the universe<or something like that>. I remember talking to an older gentleman down there once who made the complaint that "Young people these days don't want to work... they just grow pot. When I was young it was hard darn work hauling all that corn on your own back... anyone who built their still in a place you could drive to didn't last too long...".

Threating to shoot lawmen who come out into the woods where you have your corn may just be a cultural thing in Wilkes... Just saying.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for that gents,

So would the fact the child was related to the deceased have any bearing as a witness?
Or would it be up to the Defense lawyer to show that the child was being biased or otherwise being minipulated??

Regards,

Peter

Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (6mmbrfan, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 890 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,119
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.