Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger

To answer your question and stay out of the "Can I hit Paris with my railroad gun from here?" arguement grin BCR

The moon must be closer, because you can see it right?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes, Jeff. I've done similar things. Had the best rack I've ever seen while hunting, in my scope, reticle tracking him the whole way as he bounded through the Ironwood. Never pulled the trigger because all I could see was the top 2 inches of his back, sometimes, and the top of his head.
I don't regret it. I've found his very distinctive tracks several times since then. I've watched a video of him, taken before the season from a helicopter, after his rack grew even bigger. How about 37 inches wide, about 24 inches high and 7-9 pts. on a side. On an animal that may well go over 300 lbs. on the hoof.
I don't know if he's still alive. But I know his genes are still present in that area. Would you believe I saw a picture of his great, great grandfather taken about 1940 from that same area ? I'm sure I tracked, and almost shot, one of his off spring a few years back.
Like I said, I have a tendency to get away from doing the long shots. That's because I've learned new stalking techniques over the years, and I've learned that animals like that simply don't stand around in the open and let you shoot at them. At least not where I hunt.
Can I make a long shot ? Oh, yeah. I still practice at those ranges. First of all, it's fun. Second, you never know when you might need that knowledge and skill.
I don't limit myself to any one method. I try to prepare for all of them. But I do stress the toughest shots, the running or quicker shots, as much as I can when I practice. E

T
T
I always love this sort of comment! First of all these folks announce a self-imposed limit of the range they'll take a shot.
Prudent indeed. A good man/woman knows their own limitations.
My question is why do they wish to IMPOSE their limitations on the rest of those who hunt?

If your limitation with your rifle/ammunition is 100, 150, 200 yds, or whatever that limitation is, so be it. Either live with it, or spend more time at the range honing your rifleman's skill;
purchase a more powerful cartridge, or both.

I've NEVER read or heard anyone who is making 400, 500, or 800 yd
shots suggest that practice isn't necessary, let alone is EASY.
Just the opposite. They've all suggested making a long range shot
REQUIRES practice. And, we all know that it is more difficult to make a 400 yd shot than it is a 325 yd shot! And yes, we also
know about the crosswind. Especially those of us hunting in the West like Wyoming where afternoon crosswinds often reach 20mph or more. Not to mention states like New Mexico, Arizona, or the
Eastern parts of Oregon and Washington.

If anyone is happy with limiting their hunting to 200 or 300 yds,
so be it. BUT, if you would like to possess the capability to take an animal at 450, 500, or further, you need to practice with your load in your firearm. Obviously, accuracy is a major
issue. Minute-of-barn won't cut it. Equally obvious, the greater
accuracy your rifle is capable of, AND, the greater accuracy YOU
can shoot your rifle is of the utmost relevence to making those
long range shots. And please practice BEFORE you attempt such a
shot on a game animal.

The rest of this nonsense in just that. NONSENSE. I have two
rifles set-up for what "I" consider "long range" FOR ME. That is,
both rifles are extremely capable of making one shot kills out to 500-600 yds. I assure you my choice of cartridges will probably amaze some, while others will immediately agree: 308 Win & 280 Rem (168 & 175 VLD & 168 VLD, respectively).

Others who wish to shoot further use 7mm and 300 magnums to humanely reach their intended game with killing shots. Whether that is 800 yds or over 1,000 yds away.

If that level of rifleman competitence doesn't interest you, NOBODY is suggesting you have to go there. Just stop your whining about those who have spent the time learning the capabilities of their cartridge and rifle, as well as improving their own capabilities so they can routinely make these shots and humanely dispatch the game they're hunting.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m to the point that anything on a TV show is a crock and I won't use/watch things they do generally.

I just had to watch best of the west the other day, I get sucked in at times. Specifically because I've done a LOT of long range target shooting. But of course see my sig line.... The first shot they made on a bull elk, was an irresponsible angle that I'd generally not even think of taking unless it was a really close shot and needed to take it or loose the chance... One has to draw the line somewhere and from what I've seen they have done more than one shot that is not what I'd call "right".

My longest shots to date have taken some time. Even had my buddy tell me on one at 802, you better shoot now... nope I wait for what I want, and if its there, fine, if its gone, oh well. The other one, something over 950 yards we decided to take a sighter shot due to the winds.... sighter hit a softball sized rock dead on, actually just under and blew dust off it, but plenty good. Animal started walking and never stopped.

Limitations. We all have them. One simply has to know theirs, and if they want to extend or decrease those.

I think you'll find that E is same book, different page/chapter. IE he practices long and to me thats good, the furhter you practice, the easier close shots become. AND if needed and conditions are correct, you can make a longer shot if you need to or even want to.

Choice is the issue here and its spread much wider than will you take a long shot. The long shot threads often seem like trolling to me....

While I"ve said that long shots are not impossible, IE it doesn't take someone "born" with the talent, it does take a lot of work, and IF you want to put in the time, effort and money to learn, thats great and who's business is it but yours as long as its legal.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
"Never trust any man until you've seen him shoot at something dangerous or that he wants really badly at fifty yards or under."

Steelhead

I could not agree with you more. Having a dangerous animal come at you with malicious intent has a wonderful way of concentrating attention on instinctive shooting. Or rattling you so you are incapable of immediate application of skill.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Hi fellas, New here, but as everybody else I have some of my own opinions.
It seems to me that the way you define your personal hunting strategies has a lot to do with the long term hunting background your used to.
As an example I'm born and raised in Northern Minnesota where cover is extremely thick and shots over 50 yards are rare. As a consequence of these hunting conditions, I'm comfortable with shooting at running deer in thick cover - it's almost like shooting a shotgun at winged targets. Rifle fit and proper optics are more important than caliber.
When I've hunted the west or alaska, 200 yards looks like it's half way to the moon, so as a result I tend to stalk fairly close and take good shots. I don't find stalking close in more open terrain to be difficult as the luxury of being able to see game at long range is a help to stalking them.
It would seem that western hunters who have hunted open country their whole lives would be much more comfortable with long range hunting.
Just a different view from my perspective.
Thanks - and good hunting

Never tell your problems to anyone. 20% don't care and 80% are glad you have em.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Welcome! Sometimes you have no choice of getting closer, read time and wide open tundra.... unless you can pancake yourself to about 6 inches tall....and are prepared to be soaking wet after a long crawl.

Not arguing, just saying sometimes close is not even in the deck of cards.

See my sig line...I"m open to both ends of distance and doesnt' bother me in the least.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Travelr47,

As you can probably tell from my handle, Longranger280, I approve of your choice of caliber. My longest kill, to date, was a matriarch doe at 415 yds with my 280 Rem. However, I have lots of practice with it out to 550 yds. A 280 is far more capable than a lot of people know IMO.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 25 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,850
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.