-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great, I just got home from the Chinese Buffet and get to see a post about healthy eating!

I'm kind of like Burgess Meredith Grumpy Old Men. He ate bacon for breakfast, lunch, and supper and outlived 4 or 5 of his doctors. Remember the runner, health nut guy who dropped dead of a heart attack? I'm mostly Italian and do the Italian diet. The food is mostly healthy. I eat greens, at least a green salad every day, small portions of meat, lots of legumes, garlic, and olive oil. I also happen to like bacon, BBQ and Chinese Buffet and I dooon't want to know what's in it. I have a doctor's appointment Thursday, and another next Friday. I'm in better shape than both of them, but then again, I run on a treadmill and walk behind a mower every other day. Exercise, I believe, makes up for my indiscretions.

By the way, I have my schooling in environmental science and science education, and I can tell you something that should get your brain working. My Brother and I are both considerably bigger than our parents, their brothers and sisters. They are considerably bigger than their parents (who were tiny). My students are bigger than I am and have big gun boat feet like size 13 or 14 they are still growing into. As we count back generations, my Grandparents were raised on their farm and ate fresh food. My parents were raised in a generation where supermarkets and canned and prepared foods like TV dinners were big. I came from a generation where fast food was big and frozen foods were a big part of the diet. Today's kids are the fast food, burger and pizza generation. Yet, each generation has grown bigger than the one before it. The nutritional value of our food and the quality of our health care has got better and better accounting for our increase in growth. I had this as a lesson from a post doctorate fellow in endocrinology from Texas A & M.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Plus, the average lifespan has been increasing for both men and women. Perhaps due to better medical care but also perhaps somewhat due to what we eat/drink.

Rolly
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rolly
Plus, the average lifespan has been increasing for both men and women. Perhaps due to better medical care but also perhaps somewhat due to what we eat/drink.
It used to be fairly common for people to die in infancy and childhood. That's why the average lifespan used to be so much less, not because our natural clocks have had extra time added to them. Even two thousand years ago, if you didn't die in infancy or childhood, and weren't murdered and didn't die in an accident, you were expected to live to 70 or 80. They were rougher times, though, so lots did die in wars, by murder, or by accidents, and if you got wounded you would generally die. No ERs to go to. As a result, the mathematical average life span (taking all those deaths into account) was low (like 45 or 50 years), but assuming you didn't die of pneumonia, an infected cut, murder, war, childhood illness, etc., your expected life span then was about the same as ours today. The natural human life span hasn't really changed.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I wish I had a source for non-homogenized non-pasteurized milk, but I don't. Government will arrest anyone who agrees to sell you any, though you're allowed to drink it and provide it for your own family if you own the animal. I don't get that.

Hawkeye,I was going to call you a liar about it being illegal, guess its just a Florida thing. If you go to this website you will find a list of a bunch of dairys, a lot selling goat milk, but quite a few selling cows milk. You will notice that 95% say "For pet use only, per Florida law". Take that for what its worth. http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html

Around here there is a big market for raw milk. There is a vet down the road that sells eggs and raw milk, not sure what dairy he is getting it from, but has a big billboard stating as such. My uncle had been selling, had a large sign on a major US highway advertising as such, would still be selling except he sold the cows last week and moved to Oregon to start another dairy out there. Do some googling for 'raw milk', you'll get lots of hits, some groups, and some links to people selling.
Hey, thanks again for the sources for raw (real) milk. I used them to find a local source about 25 minutes from my home. Just got back from buying a half gallon. Next time I will bring a cooler with some ice, though, as it's in the mid 90s here, and even in the cars cab it was hard to keep it cool on the trip home.

Never had raw (real) milk before. Just tried a glass full, and it's great. Can sort of taste the butter in it, and you have to shake it up before you pour. I think it's going to be my regular source for milk now.

Oh, and you were right. It says right on it that it's for pets only. This is a wink wink kind of thing, as it's illegal to sell real milk in Florida (most states, I assume) for human consumption. Has been for about a century. What's in the grocery stores is better described as a "processed milk product."

Amazing that something civilized human beings took for granted for thousands of years has been denied to us by law in the United States and most developed nations in the world.

The reason is that in the late 19th century dairies started moving into urban centers, where there was no pasture for cows to graze, so they confined them in filthy stalls and fed them grains (often the byproducts of local breweries) and hay year round. Naturally, these cows got sick and produced bad milk, and babies died. The only reason modern "factory" dairy cows (non-grass fed) don't also get sick is a constant dosing of antibiotics.

Two solutions became common back then: 1) private certifying organizations that would regularly inspect the dairy and give it their approval certification, and 2) boiling the milk (pasteurization). Both worked to prevent sick babies, but eventually legislators got into the act and they had to choose one route or the other. They chose pasteurization, because that was the easiest solution to legislate and enforce. That was the end of real milk for most consumers. Looks like there's a growing movement to reverse this travesty, though.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
4000 - 5000 years ago, people were living to the hundreds of years.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by nebrcowgirl
I too am like The_Real_Hawkeye I try to only eat natural foods.
Based on your profile and MySpace page, we have a lot of interests in common. I like your "weapon collection." cool

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
4000 - 5000 years ago, people were living to the hundreds of years.
Yep, Methuselah lived to be nearly a thousand years old. smile

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by nebrcowgirl
I too am like The_Real_Hawkeye I try to only eat natural foods.
Based on your profile and MySpace page, we have a lot of interests in common. I like your "weapon collection." cool

Well send a email,of your weapon.
You don't look shy.smiling.
My space has blocked most of my African pictures of friends,been there most of the day reworking that.They say the pictures are to graphic.What? A picture of a dead animal is graphic?
I wonder where the owner, Tom of my space gets his meat?
Most city people think meat comes in plastic wrap.
Most city people think if it says Angus its all black meat.I must live in a different world.
_Hawkeye,thank you for your kind words.

God made some men big and some men small,but Sam Colt evened things up.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That's unbelievable! They ban hunting pictures??? You should replace them with pictures taken at the slaughter house that provides the packaged meats at their local grocer. See if they like those better.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 280ACKIMP, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,129
Posts18,502,550
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.