Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm still waiting for Lee's pictures! grin

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check the newspapers, it's faster........................

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I can tell you how to adjust your triggers properly.

Pictures of dead animals don't tell a thing about how good or safe the trigger was. It's just an ego trip for some people.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So you don't really need to leave your PC to be an expert then? You insisted this was about "mountain hunting".

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
RickF, YOU are the one who asked about drop testing YOUR rifle from in front of YOUR computer. I think you should.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Lee 24,

Sorry if I offended you by posting a picture of a dead animal.
The original poster asked for thoughts on the best overall breaking weight for a mountain hunting rifle, and some of us with mountain hunting experience responded.

Doesn't matter to me if it is a 'mountain rifle', something light and portable, or if it is any rifle one chooses to use in mountain hunting- some of us actually do mountain hunting, and have years of experience doing so. If you want to challenge that experience, some of us have photos, stories, and witnesses to back it up.

Doesn't matter whether I'm seeking advice on firearms, or optics, or horseshoes- if the dispenser of knowledge has no practical experience, and the proof of same, the advice means little to me.

If those of us who post photos of game we have taken are egotistical, so be it. Call it what you will, but you can't challenge or question the fact that we have been there, or belittle the fact that we have done so.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I enjoy looking at photos of fish and game.
They don't mean anything about the proper trigger adjustment, though.

I even posted a photo of a 13-lb bass I caught along with 100 other pounds of bass I caught one evening. But it doesn't mean my drag setting was ideal. In fact, I was using 10-lb test line, so I was pushing my luck, just like some of those with 2-lb triggers.

But coming here, I am accustomed to how many people, before ever shooting their rifle, will adjust the trigger, install a new trigger, recrown the muzzle, and bed the stock or replace it with their favorite plastic one.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
For Salmonella, all my hunting rigs run crisp 2.5-3lb trigger pulls fwiw.

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lee24
RickF, YOU are the one who asked about drop testing YOUR rifle from in front of YOUR computer. I think you should.

At least then, we'd have something in common we could discuss. I'll use mine in the field, you can wait for the pictures.

It's been said a thousand times on here, you are so completely, absolutely, obscenely full of [bleep].

Here's another one for you, we call these mule deer. Ruger M77 by the way... 2 1/4 pound trigger pull. Sorry if this pic offends you, but there are actually some hunters on this site, they may enjoy it.

Got a pic of that M70 yet?

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice deer, but it doesn't mean a thing about your trigger being properly adjusted. A good shot could have done the same with a 10-lb trigger.

Safety is foremost, and it varies for each rifle. The weight of the trigger that is good for one shooter with very sensitive touch will not work for some other ham-handed shooter. It's like saying everyone should drive X miles per hour. You can't make that generalization. But it is a safe bet most people have no business driving 100 mph anytime, just like having a 2-lb trigger on a hunting rifle.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Agreed, I'm certain there are plenty of things you can't/shouldn't do.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup.

And I'm still waiting for pics of your famous M70.

Or, got any hunting pics you can share? Mebbe a squirrel you ran over on the way to therapy?

Last edited by RickF; 06/26/09.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i guess the nurses lost their patient again. the docs going to be pizzed Lee24 escaped again

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You're right, I shouldn't try to transfer knowledge or experience to a wooden Indian.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've heard about them mirror computer screens.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C'mon Steelhead, the man wants to "transfer knowledge or experience"!

You know? There is no gremlin for falling on my ass laughing! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image] [/quote]

That is one heckuva buck!

My favorite trigger setting for cold weather and rough country runs right around 2.5 lbs. The kids get theirs set at 3 lbs.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Smart kids!

SST Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been using 2 pound triggers on my hunting rifles for 40 years. Cold weather doesn't affect my trigger pull. It's just a matter of what you get used to.

Regards,
Sam Taylor
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

SST's Rifle Room
http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom/
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For me it comes back to the title of the thread.

I, personally, shoot a light rifle like crap with a heavier trigger. A mountain rifle is typically going to be on the light side. It's far easier for me to shoot a light rifle well with a light trigger. Hunting in mountains opens up the possibility of longer, cross-canyon shots. It's also easier, for me, to shoot accuratly at longer ranges with a light trigger.

My M7 .358 is my "up close and personal" rifle, and I run the trigger a little heavier. A bit over 3 lbs.

On the other end of the spectrum, my two target rifles have Jewell triggers set around 3-4 OUNCES.

But for a light rifle I might shoot far with, like my Montana, I run it right around 2 lbs and find that that's what works best for ME.

Trigger pull is just as personal as scope mounting, LOP, or whatever else, so I am certainly not gonna tell anyone else that my way is "best". If a person doesn't want, or trust, a light trigger then by all means they should do as they see fit.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,809
Posts18,516,406
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.