Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Good article, this was the best issue of the Rifleman in a long time.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just FYI... a great bar bet is the fact dry air is heavier than wet air.

Let me know when you argue that with a drunk that is using the dry towel/wet towel analogy to make his point.

I'll buy tickets!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well to know how a rifle with shoot in cold weather, you need to shoot in cold weather. I remember some years back, I was out in Bethel Alaska flying. I had the chance to go do some hunting and I remember my rifle that I zeroed in spot on for 200 yards, in summer down in CT, was just a tad off when I checked zero at temps that were running around 5 above zero. I chalked it up to well the rifle was bumped around some, that was back in 1984, I know better now, It was not enough to cause a miss at the usual ranges one shoots game, it is something you need to look at and consider when you shoot at the extended ranges. The cartridge was a 338 and 210 gr Nosler Partitions, it was some of the first hunting I had done with that cartridge.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Among the powders that have eally reacted to temperarture change are some of the IMR's (single-base) and some of the Aliant Reloder series (double-base).

I had always considered the loss of sensitivity in nitroglycerin at reduced temperatures to be indicative of the potential for loss of velocity too. That would mean double based powders would exhibit less pressure and thus less velocity at low temperatures.

Then, along comes double based Blue Dot that has exhibited pressures rising at temperatures below 0 degrees F. That's exactly the opposite of what would be expected. frown

Of course, that loss of sensitivity in double based powders seems to be part of the "extreme powder" premise.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
SU-try this sometime, and remember it's coming from the loonie bin...grin

When I am shooting for accuracy many times I'll use the probe thermometer that I have in my shooting kit to take barrel temps.

This isn't perfecto I know but here's what I do.

B4 I shoot the gun I stand it up in the gun rack and stick the probe therm (one that restaurants use) in the mzl end. That'll give me an interntal temp of the tube when it's cool and unfired.

Then after my string I'll stand the gun back in the rack and stick the therm in the barrel again. Then I'll not shoot another string until the barrel goes back down the original temp that it was at when I first took its temp.

A bit loonie I know but when I am really working on accuracy (specially at long range) I try to do it. It works pretty darn well for me, unless I'm just feeling impatient that day.

Best of luck to ya!

Dober

(SU, you gonna do any fall bruin hunting?)

this is actually a good idea

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A better method may be utilizing an IR thermometer, similar to the cheapo -4 to 968 degree F "laser" I bought from Harbor Freight.

[Linked Image]

The outside of the chamber could be recorded after each successive shot.

I actually use it in the casting process, but it has many uses. wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

687 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 3,080 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,378
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.