Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Spike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Okay you misfits, I invited Boddington to join our little Pow Wow. If by chance he is up for the adventure and stops in, please welcome him as we would any other guest. I tried to explain to him the "Poatal Match" but I think 'you had to be there' to truly understand its history. I tried.<P>BTW, for those not having shot the targets, get to it...ya woosies! What are you afraid of, a little white charging piece of paper? Geeeezzzzz!<P>Col. Boddington, welcome to the campfire.<P>

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spike,<BR>You're certainly well connected.<P>Col.Boddington,<P>Welcome! Pull up a log and tell us a few hunting stories. I welcome your experience.

James
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what I love about these forums. You get input from people with the kind of experience I'd need two lifetimes to get.<P>Whether you agree with them or not, we have Ken Howell, at least we did on the "other" site, Butch Searcy, George Hoffman, Melvin Forbes, I've seen D'Arcy Echols handle a few times, and I know that's forgetting some others. (I'd include JJ's name but you know how shy he is [Linked Image] ). I understand Mr. Tubbs posts on one of these forums as well. Also many, many more who are just as experienced but perhaps not so well known.<P>On an unrelated thread, c'mon you guys, get with the program and shoot that Poatal Match. Spike is sending his targets in so he obviously survived the charge. But ya know, his postings do seem off somehow, like they were typed with only one hand. Makes me suspect he may he been mauled a bit [Linked Image].<p>[This message has been edited by Jim in Idaho (edited February 12, 2001).]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Col. Boddington,<P>Been reading your stuff for a long time--welcome!<P>I think you ought to shoot in the Poatal Match. Just be glad we're not shooting last year's format--but I suppose you always take a 5 gallon bucket to the range with you.<P>Wade

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Craig,<P>I took the opportunity, while visiting Mt View Sporting Goods in Anchorage, to pick up a copy of Safari Rifles.<P>I enjoyed reading it, and learned a lot! Also borrowed the American version of the book from the library.<P>Just what we needed here, another lefty! [Linked Image]<P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>

Brian

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ahdeegah Boddington! Welcome to the igloo. ~~~Suluuq, the resident Eskimo

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reading this thread, I could swear you guys are all talking to yourselves! Haven't seen hide nor hair of Mr. Boddington yet, but your comments are interesting nonetheless- almost as if he was actually here. [Linked Image]<BR>Mr. Boddington, if you are reading this, me and Tex take turns getting our feet stuck in our mouths, so humor us while we take our pills, ok? We'll be almost normal in a little while - Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes Sheister, I felt a little silly writing to somebody who may not be here.<P>Thanks for pointing out how silly we are! [Linked Image]<P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>

Brian

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Welcome indeed. I have long enjoyed the writing but as resident new guy and camp wood chopper I'll just shut up now and hope you visit. Mike.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Welcome Col. Boddington. I do hope you visit sometime (and this guy isn't pulling our legs).<BR> I read several of his articles in Rifle Shooter magazine. Any other suscribers?<BR>

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oh yeah, why are we all misfits?

S
Spike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Okay misfits (bh, consider it a term of endearment) talk about putting the pressure on a guy. Whether or not Craig shows is left to his own decision but I have invited him, actually I invited him to "the other place" and had to inform him we are no longer there. He replied he would try and join the chat room. I started this thread to give him a place to go and make it easy. Won't I feel like a fool if he doesn't participate.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Spike: The last thing you have to worry about is looking like a fool. You invited a friend to come visit. Its nice that you shared it with us, but it is, as you mentioned, Craigs choice. Thanks for inviting him anyway.<P>Tex<P>------------------<BR>Deja Moo - The feeling I've heard this B.S. before?<P>Apologies to Pete Millan for stealing his signature.

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spike,<P>I will be <I>very</I> interested to hear the Colonel's version of that elk hunt the two of you went on last year. I couldn't believe it when you posted the pics (how come there weren't any of the two of you together??) I want to ask Colonel Boddington if he really did ask you for tips on locating elk to put in his article. I hope he man enough to admit to wearing those flower print longjohns you told us about. But I suppose it's OK for you to rib him a little since you guys have been on more than a dozen trips together. Must be neat having him as a "close personal friend" (I believe those were your words). Anyway, I look forward to seeing him here. You're the man Spike!<P>Wade

Wade

S
Spike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Oh great, thanks Waders. There goes that chance of showing him we're all 'normal'. [Linked Image]<P>If nothing else this has been a fun thread, suppose I'll take it and run with it...<P>Did I ever tell ya all about the time Craig and I hunted them gators in the swamps of Floreeeeda? Darn near lost my toes, luckly the good Colonel was carrying the double....<P>(Suluq add a few lines here and the rest of you pick up where the last guy left off. Let's see what we can do with this and show off our imaginative minds)<P>[oh man, I realy hope he doesn't show up now.]

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gotta jump on this one!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Did I ever tell ya all about the time Craig and I hunted them gators in the swamps of Floreeeeda? Darn near lost my toes, luckly the good Colonel was carrying the double....</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B>bacon, cheeseburger! The "Bodd", with his lightening quick reflexes, honed by years of typing "USMC (Reserve)", was able to quickly rip the wrapper off the McBLT (and dispose of said wrapper in an enviromentaly correct fashion), and distract those nasty 'gators just long enough for Spike to...</B> <P>Next. [Linked Image]<P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>

Brian

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spike,<P>Is this Boddington thing for real or just another blonde post?<P>Blaine

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lets start one on our favorite gun writer, like as if he was going to come here too. Lets have a shin dig! I'll bring the muk-tuk, what you bringing?<BR>Well, Mr. Seyfried, welcome to the campfire. [Linked Image] ~~~Suluuq

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What do we need wit a lousy Colonel here? We got General Delivery don't we?<BR>BCR<BR><P>------------------<BR>A 45 BEATS 4 ACES EVERYTIME

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Spike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
AFP,<P>It's the real meal deal. He's been in invited. His a regular guy just like me and you, puts his pants on one leg at a time. Only difference with him is he has a 'dream job'. He seems like a very nice down to earth guy and it wouldn't surprise me if he paid us a visit.<P>BW, OMG the tears were flowing from lauging so hard. [Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey, wait a minute, no pictures of Spike and the Col. together, you never see them in the same room, seems to know a lot about him, hmmm..... do you suppose Spike colored his hair for SlamCamp last Fall to disguise the fact that he has a certain ALTER-EGO???????? Okay Spike, or whoever the hell you really are, answers, answers!<BR>

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
8ball,<P>Excellent observation!! I followed up on this one, digging out several back issues of Peterson's Hunting Mag. I found a few pictures of The Bodd where his mustache appears a little crooked--like it's one of those stick-on kind!!! The glue they use on those things itches like heck once you peel of the 'stache. That would explain why Spike always has his hand up above his lip (and here we all thought he was just constantly picking his nose!)<P>And all of these stupid, non-sensical posts that Spike puts up on the board. We all thought he was just a blabbering idiot who didn't know the first thing about guns or hunting! It's a cover! Remember that one thread:<P>SoAndSo: Hey guys, what gun should I buy, a .300 Win Mag or a .338 Win Mag? I will be hunting mostly mule deer with shots inside 200 yards, but may also go after the occasional elk.<P>Spike: SoAndSo, in order to best understand the specific advantages of each cartridge, one must conduct an extensive study, beginning with in-depth analysis of the retained downrange energy, the sectional densities of these rounds, the ballistic coefficient, the . . . uh, I mean, well, lessee here...I'd get the .338 dude! Blast away with the big bullets! Guys in camp won't mess with you, and chicks dig the .338 way more than the .300--ask my sister-in-law!<P>Yeah, Spike (aka The Bodd) the jig is up!!<P>Wade<p>[This message has been edited by Waders (edited February 13, 2001).]

Wade

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BW:<BR><B>Gotta jump on this one!<P> bacon, cheeseburger! The "Bodd", with his lightening quick reflexes, honed by years of typing "USMC (Reserve)", was able to quickly rip the wrapper off the McBLT (and dispose of said wrapper in an enviromentaly correct fashion), and distract those nasty 'gators just long enough for Spike to...</B> <P>Next. [Linked Image]<P></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> ....put on his running shoes. After all, Spike reasoned, he doesn't have to outrun the 'gator, just Craig. BTW, since Craig will be busy for awhile, as he is racing by, Spike reaches out and grabs his.....<P>(next)<BR>

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
ahhh it IS good to be home again ... er... among friends...er... in cyberland with a bunch of fellow misfits who's dysfunctions make me almost look semi-normal...ummmm...uhhh...heck ya'll know what I mean.... - this is the way it's supposed to be

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man,<P>We must of scared him off! You know you guys gots to show some restraint once in awhile, to the outsiders we must look like some kinda freek show. Actually thats not too bad, keeps the rif raf out, well except that C*** guy, though he seems to be laying low.<P>What I'd like is a story combining that feller with the clown suit and Pat's hillbilly neigbor lady. I still get the giggles thinking about the goat in the fog story.<P>------------------<BR>If you think peeing in the wind is bad, try running a snowblower into the wind!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well no sign of Spike's good buddy, the Kernel. I just thought I'd post something here to keep the thread near the top--just in case Mr. Boddington drops in on us.<BR>

Wade

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hey, I would gladly (grin) trade a chance to chat with Mr. Boddington. For another picture of Spike's Sister In-Law.<P>What the Hey! I've always been partial to blondes<P>Phil<P>------------------<BR>Take that Computer, Throw it out the window, "And Go Huntin"

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Just moving the topic to the top of the page, cause I wanna be just like Mr. Boddington when I grow up,so I don't want him to miss this,,BH

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would hope that Mr Boddington doesn't need one of the regular posters, on this board, to be his apologist. I would think that he will be able to hold his own around here.pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder how long this thread will be when "the Bodd" actually shows up?<P>By the way-don't nobody register the handle "Colonel Boddington" and try and trick us. Spike and Bodd are neighbors and Spike can just run next door and see if it's really him.

Wade

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 458 Lott:<BR><B>Man,<P>We must of scared him off! You know you guys gots to show some restraint once in awhile, to the outsiders we must look like some kinda freek show. Actually thats not too bad, keeps the rif raf out, well except that C*** guy, though he seems to be laying low.<P>What I'd like is a story combining that feller with the clown suit and Pat's hillbilly neigbor lady. I still get the giggles thinking about the goat in the fog story.<P></B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>A snow blower into the wind is only half bad snow blowing yellow snow into the wind now thats bad.<P>Bullwnkl<BR>

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bullwnkl,<BR>You heard Bill Clinton found Ken Starr's name written, in yellow, in the snow?<BR>Bad news was it was Hillary's handwriting.<BR>Dan

NRA Life Member

Never read the fine print. There ain't no way you're gonna like it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just got home from Kentucky Fried and boy was I angry. They have a Hillary bucket there now. You get 2 small breasts, 2 very large thighs, and whole bunch of left wings.<BR>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now, thats a good joke! ~~~Suluuq(roflmao)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1501693&a=11332227&p=41099855&Sequence=0[/img] <P>------------------<BR>If you think peeing in the wind is bad, try running a snowblower into the wind!<p>[This message has been edited by 458 Lott (edited February 16, 2001).]

C
C
Hey, guys, I come in peace. I'm still not sure how this site works, but it looks like you're having fun--some of it at my expense, which is okay by me. Anyway, John Peyton asked me to drop by, so I'm here. Haven't met John, but he wound up with a really sweet .35 Whelen that I couldn't justify keeping (sort of "culling the herd"). I think he plans to try it out on some of our wild hogs around here, but there's really no point in that . . . that particular rifle already knows everything it needs to know about making bacon.<BR>Am going to browse a bit and see what I come up with. Must be honest and tell you all that I'm not much of a net surfer (or any kind of surfer!), but will drop by now and again.<BR>Regards to all,<BR>Craig Boddington

ctb
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hey Craig,<BR> Nice of you to stop in, you picked a good time too,pretty quiet right now,,Hope you stop in and share some knowledge with us everynow and then,,BEARHUNTER aka Rod

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to the campfire, Boddington. Please share some of the hunting stories you write about. Should you come often enough, and get o know us better, you'll never want to come back! [Linked Image] (just kidding)~~~Suluuq <P>

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Craig Boddington,<P>Welcome to the Campfire. It's pleasure to have you aboard. We've got plenty of lefty's here, but we could always use more!<P>Since you don't "surf" the net much, you'll just have to believe us, when we say this is the best site around! [Linked Image]<P>If you get the chance, try and find your way over to the "Africa Hunting" part of this website. I've asked lots of questions there lately, as I'm planning on going over May 2002. I've already got you "Africa Rifles" book, but rifles are just one part of the whole trip.<P>Keep checking in!<BR><P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>

Brian

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<BR> Hello Craig, welcome, its always good to see another LH lover of .338's on the board.........Rick

"Like with any House of Prostitution we ought to charge admission at the United Nations building"

"Even better, we should bulldoze it down and put a public shooting range in its place." "We'd be a safer country for it".
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Col,<P>Glad you are here! I have a ton of questions for you--but I won't ask them all at once.<P>#1. Is the 35 Whelen that impressed you with it's moose knock-down properties the one Spike now has?<P><BR>Blaine

J
jb Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Welcome Col., I'm new here also.<P>I have read your articles for more years than either of us would like to admit. I am also a southpaw and enjoy seeing and reading about your left handed rilfes and would love to get into your gun safe.<P>Also proud to be a fellow jarhead (USMCR 1963-69 Paris Island grad.)<P>I'll have to make this site a regular stop.

a little bit of heaven is found just north of the bridge
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome Colonel,<BR>We just assumed you were a "connected" guy. You have a great piece on "Huntingmag.com" right now about your elk hunt at the Whittington Center.<BR>I've got a beautiful copy of the Hunter's Handbook that I keep putting on the coffee table and my wife keeps replacing with a books on roses. Oh well, she is a wonderful girl in spite of this one shortcoming.<BR>I appreciate your writing about tactics and strategies as much as anything. Carried a pair of heavy Fuji 7x50's this year, worth every ounce! Quality glass is more essential than an ultra-accurate rifle in my opinion.<BR>Are the Rogue River Boys ever going to put up a website? Your the only one I've seen who talks about their work on Model 88's(my personal favorite rifle). If they would just put up a photo gallery that would be great.<BR>Great to have you on board!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Welcome Col: Glad to have you with us, I'm one to have made a wise crack or two. But in all reality (grin), I would be glad to supply you with my computer link, if you would download your data base to my back burner. It's always nice to have a place to look up reliable information.<P>Phil

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hello Colonel. Nice of you to stop in. I do enjoy reading some of your articles. <BR> Not to be rude, but don't use too many sloppy shooters to proove your point. I read your article on western plains rifle, and I think it is more the guy behind than the .270 for his needing 9 shots for the one deer. Heck, if he needed that many, he shouldn't have shot the first one. I also doubt a .300 would help as much as you might think.<BR> There, now you have something to reply to.<BR>Welcome to the board, nice to have you here. By the way, is it really fun shooting guns for a job? Now, that's what I want to do. [Linked Image]<P>------------------<BR>Give an inch, and they'll take a mile.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oh yeah, thanks for checking in. We were starting to make Spike out as a liar.<P>------------------<BR>Give an inch, and they'll take a mile.

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Col.Boddington Sir,<BR>Paso Robles? Near Camp Bob?Same Same?<BR>How the heck did you end up there?<BR>I realize by Kalifornia standards The area is about as PC as the midwest,but I kinda figured it too close to the enemy for most tastes.<BR>I did MCSF F.A.S.T. training down there and found it "Homey" after the insults of Oceanside,even the local gunshop was kinda comfy.<BR>One jarhead to another..stick around if ya would.We might not always agree with what ya write,but lots of educated opinions here and no one clearly wrong.The folks here are good people.We attack ideas and not the individual.<BR>Good ta have ya!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Col Boddington, <P>Welcome aboard, sir. I suppose we expect for you to hesitate before giving away what you would normally sell, but it would be a good idea to keep an eye on this chat room. There are some extremely knowledgable folks here, but some of us need adult supervision now and again. If nothing else, we keep each other entertained, and we hope you'll join in the fun. Okie John.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Colonel, please enjoy your visit. And don't let your wife catch you looking at some of the posts. These guys like to post pictures of women in bikinis for the obvious reasons. SO avoid "the 2-point spike passed up" and "shooters check in here" when you have her around. I'm just assuming here, so please don't take it the wrong way if you don't hav a wife.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spike, -- you can come back in now. What the heck are you going to do with a lousey 35 Whelen? Heck, even the Col. sold it, course if you want to sell it I might use another one just in case.<BR>Welcome to the campfire Col. just a bunch of hunters setting around this Cyber-Campfire shooting the breeze. You might just pick up an idea for a story if you have time to hang around some evening. Just drag up a log and sit a spell, we are glad to have your company, but don't be supprised if someone has a different view. You will find out we are not bashfull and some have been hunting many years, we have posters here from all over the world. Me, I'm older than dirt and have hunted the Rocky Mountains since 1951 and pretty set in my ways. Welcome. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
S
Spike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Craig,<P>Glad you could make it (as I wipe sweat from my brow wondering if you'd show).<P>You mentioned I received a "sweet .35 Whelen" from you...what an understatement. [Linked Image] <BR>That gun shoots like a dream (see below).<P>Looking forward to seeing it in action soon as a 'bacon blaster'. <P><BR> [Linked Image] <BR>Three shots at 100 yards<P>psssst, got any others you want to part with? Shhhhh, don't tell these guys, they're like sharks in a feeding frenzy when it comes to accurate rifles.<P>Welcome to the campfire and please consider yourself among friends.<P>-John (aka Spike)<P><p>[This message has been edited by Spike (edited February 20, 2001).]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Col Bodd,<P>Spike here has been crowing about how he kicked your behind in a shootin match and you didn't even pay up 'cuz you were so mad--is that true? If it isn't, we'll understand. Spike does have a tendency to...embellish. Have you ever met his sister-in-law?<P>Wade

Wade

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Spike: Have you ever thought of using that picture of your "Sister-In-Law" as your Signature. (grin)<P>Phil<P>------------------<BR>Take that Computer, Throw it out the window, "And Go Huntin"

S
Spike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Craig,<P>Please excuse Wade...he's an attorney (nuff said) [Linked Image]<P>

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi Craig,<P>Welcome to the fireside. If you can handle Tex's brand of humour you will fit in real well.<P>I'm a great fan of your writing, and I hope you will check in often to share your experiences.<P>Cheers<P>Pete M<P><P>------------------<BR>Pete M<P>I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Pete M<P>I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Col. Boddington just wanted to post and say I'm a huge fan of your writing and hope to see you around here more often. American Hunting Rifles is one of my favorite books. I just bought Safari Rifles a few days ago and it's sure to be a favorite too. Keep up the excellent work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spike,<P><B>"He's an attorney (nuff said)"</B><P>If you say so...

Wade

C
C
Hi, Guys--<BR>Whew, for darn sure I can't provide the adult supervision you need . . . prob'ly can't handle the volume, either. Back to Spike's .35 Whelen. No, the .35 W. that flattened that Alaskan moose was a right-handed prototype. Impressed me so much that I ordered the left-hand rifle Spike has. So why did I let it go? No good reason. I have a good .358, a M71 .348, a .350 Rigby, and THEN, in a fit of passion, I got a really slick .350 Rem. Mag. on a left-hand M700 short action. Now what in the heck am I ever gonna do with that many.35's? So I decided it was time to cull the herd. Figgered the plastic-stocked .350 Rem. Mag. was identical in performance to the Whelen, but lighter and handier, so let the Whelen go. Already regret it, of course, but my loss is Spike's gain . . .<BR>Okay, somebody asked about an incident where a guy took nine shots with a .270 in a plains deer story. Problem is I write a lot of stories. (Can't change a tire worth a damn, but I can write awfully fast.) Problem compounded by the fact that, once I write a story and send it off, I forget about it and go on to the next one. It might be as much as a year before a given story gets printed. Which is a long way of saying I have no idea which story you're referring to. But I think I was talking about wind effect. The guy doing the shooting was an easterner (which means, only, that he wasn't used to shooting at distance). You're right--it probably wouldn't have mattered what he was shooting. But the wind was really howling on that day, and heavier bullets DO carry better in the wind. The .270 isn't bad, but you can really see it with the .25's--no matter how fast, they really get blown off course quick.<BR>What's it like to do this stuff for a living? Good question. Nothing is as much fun as a business as it is when it's a hobby. You make your bed, you lie in it. I've been very fortunate, and certainly wouldn't trade; I've gotten to do an awful lot of what we all like to do, and have done some things I never dreamed I'd be able to do. It's not necessarily easy; I work at it pretty hard, lotsa hours. Our business doesn't pay Playboy or National Geographic rates, so in order to make ends meet and go on some of the hunts I want to go on it's kind of a volume business. Like I said, I write fast (not always well, but fast). No complaints on that; I'm a workaholic by nature. I think the biggest downside to my business is the self-imposed pressure. I can't think about a hunt as the hunt itself; I have to think about it in terms of the story. It's business, so failure is unacceptable. Once in a while you can write about the one that got away . . . but not often! This means that, at some point, good enough has to be good enough. Lots of times I would just as soon keep hunting until the last minute and look for the really super trophy . . . and walk away empty-handed and happy if he doesn't show up. Usually I can't do that. The story comes first, and that means that all too often I have to settle for an animal that is less than I really want. That's the down side. Playing with different guns, that's mostly fun if you're a rifle nut like me. Except I often have an obligation to use somebody's new super-banger on a hunt when I'd much prefer to use one of my own familiar and trusted rifles. So there's a down side to that as well! But I'm certainly not whining--I have been well blessed, and I know it!<BR>Gotta run, hear the deadline alarm ringing in the distance. Regards to all, will check in along the trail. Craig

ctb
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good point Craig, the best way to ruin a hobby is to get payed for it,,BEARHUNTER

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Col,<P>Thanks for the insight on the profession. Interesting as my wife has said that I should go into business with some of my hobbies, but I have stoutly refused. I can see doing a couple of them part time, but wouldn't want to do them full time.<P>Hopefully you'll hang out and get a chance to get to know some of the guys, it is an eclectic and somewhat eccentric bunch, but by and large a good group of guys. <P>I also think some of the guys are off base with their comments. I may not be the biggest of your fans, but asside from that, if you're coming here to yack with us, we should treat you as one of the gang, not that you necesarrily won't to associate with us. Anyhow, we wouldn't tollerate someone harping on one of the guys about whatever his profession is, and just because you happen to be a hunting writer, doesn't give them leeway to do the same to you.<P>Kinda funny you posted after my KFC picture. This group while loosly associating as big game hunters is basically a group that likes to hang out and banter, and the big game hunting is just the common interest that binds us. So, sometimes we go from slightly off topic, to outerspace. Thats allright, as we enjoy one anothers company, and many of us have known eachother long enough to really pull eachothers leg pretty good. <P>Anyhow, if you have a life, you won't have to time to waste as the rest of us degenerates, but you might get a few laughs once in awhile, and any info shared is greatly appreciated. This truly is one of the best resources for sharing and learing about our sport. We range from the working Joe, misc professionals, farmers, guides, PH, to the occasional Sheik, though he's be hanging out as his own board lately. Oh, I forgot to add you as the noted hunting writer.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't worry Colonel, you can write about the one that got away here! Thanks for visiting in spite of your busy schedule! <BR>And thanks for answering my question about the .270 thing and how it is to be a gun guro. It must suck when somebody brings up an article you wrote years ago, and you don't even know what they are talking about.<BR>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mr Boddington... if you get up to northwest Alaska, and pass through Kotzebue, please give me notice. It would be nice to meet you. I have heard that a few other famous gun writers pass through here on occasion, but I always find out too late. <BR>BTW do you know Jake Jacobson, the Master Guide? He lives here in Kotzebue (as well as Kodiak) and I get a chance to talk with him on occasion. The guy was our dentist growing up. Nice men, the both of you. ~~~Suluuq

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
So Spike,

How did that 35 Whelen you bought from Craig Boddington do on hogs?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Col.
Welcome to the Campfire!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SU35

How did that 35 Whelen you bought from Craig Boddington do on hogs?

Eight years ago? grin

Real blast from the past thread!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Colonel Boddington:

Welcome to the campfire. Pull up a log and sit a while.

Semper Fi.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I'm not mistaken, the correct title is Brigadier General Boddington. Regardless, welcome sir and thanks for your service.

Respectfully, Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Spike
Craig,<P>Please excuse Wade...he's an attorney (nuff said) [Linked Image]<P>

Attorneys don't bother Craig. He comes from a long line of good trial lawyers who were also good men. Take my word for it.

Welcome, Craig.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
If I'm not mistaken, the correct title is Brigadier General Boddington. Regardless, welcome sir and thanks for your service.

Respectfully, Ron

I don't believe he ever formally pinned on 0-7.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn an eight year old post. Kind of shocking to read old Sonnie (need one) again. Realizeing he has been dead three years.

Lots of good boys gone from the old camp fire.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not only has the man positioned himself in life to be able to hunt all over the globe, but he lives in some of the best wine country in America... my esteem for the good Colonel has only been elevated by that knowledge grin

Welcome aboard Craig...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guys, CB's last post was in Feb of 2001. I doubt that he's "hearing" your "welcomes".

PS: Hope we don't get into the 06 vs 07 pissing contest again!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Welcome to the fire!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Holy Thread Resurection Batman.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
hahahaha.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are some people not looking at the date?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Who cares about the date. grin

It looks as though Rick has opened up to us all here the past.
Every post is now available to us.

Over time Craig Boddington has been invited here and most don't know that he posted here at the Campfire in it's early stage.

I thought it would be interesting to bring up this old post to see the original core group that helped get this place going.

Some of them still post here every once in a while. Some have left us like Sonny and bullwinkle.

Read if you are interested. If not, move on. smile

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...1/Re_Since_this_is_a_new_campfir#Post971

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, apparently the caffeine hadn't achieved full effect this am... didn't even notice this was a blast from the past... laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
didn't even notice this was a blast from the past... laugh

I figured that! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's pretty neat.

For us new guys, anybody care to give us a rundown on how this place started? I've heard references to "the other place", but never knew how it all came to be.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There once was a kingdom called "shooters.com", and it was a happy place. People met to talk guns, hunting and stuff, kind of like here. Talk was polite, profane, people agreed or got into abusive arguments, also like here. It was a simple land of text and little choice of fonts, but in the primitive net days of the late 1990's people were satisfied.

One day the King of shooters.com banned someone, which led to controversy and the expression of opinions both for and against the King. The King did not like this and developed an outbreak of "bannitis", summarily executing logins like a newly elected African president.

One professional hunter of the kingdom, first name JJ, mentioned that in his wanderings he had learned of a tiny, out of the way Kingdom called "24hourcampfire" with a population of about 2 people, JJ and Rick. There were reportedly other residents but their names are lost in the annals of history. Some disgruntled residents of the Kingdom of Shooters visited, liked what they saw and sent word back. Soon the immigration to the kingdom of "24hcf" as it was known was in full swing.

Lo, great scribes of renown eventually heard of the 24hcf kingdom and stopped by, many staying and establishing semi-permanent residence. Through careful management and a strict policy of not banning anyone except for the unforgivable sin of "Felony Misuse of Duct Tape", very few people were banned and so the Kingdom of 24hcf prospered until it became what you see today.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a good story. I'm all sleepy now... laugh

Glad to be on board, even if I'm 9 years too late.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cool! I think I'll finish my milk and delete some cookies, then take a nap. Nice story. smile

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Damn an eight year old post. Kind of shocking to read old Sonnie (need one) again. Realizeing he has been dead three years.

Lots of good boys gone from the old camp fire.

BCR

That is what made me look at the date. I was reading through the thread thinking "Hey, this is neat", and see Sonny's post.

I sure miss him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
There once was a kingdom called "shooters.com", and it was a happy place. People met to talk guns, hunting and stuff, kind of like here. Talk was polite, profane, people agreed or got into abusive arguments, also like here. It was a simple land of text and little choice of fonts, but in the primitive net days of the late 1990's people were satisfied.

One day the King of shooters.com banned someone, which led to controversy and the expression of opinions both for and against the King. The King did not like this and developed an outbreak of "bannitis", summarily executing logins like a newly elected African president.

One professional hunter of the kingdom, first name JJ, mentioned that in his wanderings he had learned of a tiny, out of the way Kingdom called "24hourcampfire" with a population of about 2 people, JJ and Rick. There were reportedly other residents but their names are lost in the annals of history. Some disgruntled residents of the Kingdom of Shooters visited, liked what they saw and sent word back. Soon the immigration to the kingdom of "24hcf" as it was known was in full swing.

Lo, great scribes of renown eventually heard of the 24hcf kingdom and stopped by, many staying and establishing semi-permanent residence. Through careful management and a strict policy of not banning anyone except for the unforgivable sin of "Felony Misuse of Duct Tape", very few people were banned and so the Kingdom of 24hcf prospered until it became what you see today.

That is pretty well the straight of it like Jim says. Along with JJ two of the pioners were Sonnie and a guy by the name of Texas Hunter (he disappeared several years ago). When they came back to the old Shooters which was in the midst of a nut cutting banning orgy and sort of did a scouting report on here the exodus started.

Jim and I were in the second wave which was about a week after the initial foray.

At the time Mr. Rick checked his board about every other week because there wasn't anybody here to speak of.

So he shows up and does a WTF happened because his board has about tripled in membership more or less overnight.

From there it just sort of grew.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think the "Campfire" has turned into a Bonfire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toto Land is good wine country...? cool

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 09/03/09.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Mark,

Craig is not in Kansas anymore. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm, near as I know he just bought a place there. He moved already? Where to?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A nice story, and like Bluedreaux I'm sleepy too! grin

However, one point of correction in your fair tale... JJ and the entire shooters.com cohort showed up after more than a few of us had been here for some time (I'm actually member #30).

I used to post on Shooters occasionally and also at the old Coffee Shop, as well as huntamerica (groan) and accuratereloading... 24hr is the best of the bunch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nah,

He is still there,I was just tryin to sound like Dorothy.

If I only had a brain....... grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Toto Land?

Paso Robles, CA is primo-vino-country. Been there done that!

Good hunting country too... it's a fair bit hotter than over the grade in San Luis Obispo, which is why the Paso Vineyards specialize in Cabs, Zins and the like...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty darn sure he's living a fair way east of there these a days.

Thinking he changed out whino's for whitetails....good trade IME...grin

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmm. Maybe Mark. I did see an article of his a year or two back and he was still in CA.

I'd rather live in Paso Robles than anywhere in KS... I could easily hunt blacktails and the wine is a LOT better than kansas grown (not to mention the weather and mountains) laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't recall if I've ever been to PR so I'll take your word on it and I know if you say it's nice then it is!

Road trip....grin

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh yeah, and California girls... but we're both married right? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good thinking, it'd be safer for us to road trip (maybe) to Toto Land and beat up on some whitey's and ditch pigeons... smirk

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think you guys are typing from your private vineyard! smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, Mark's a tea-totaler, but I'm sipping a little CA Zinfandel as we speak laugh

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ahh, I am working on a great skim-milk with my cookies!! smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ok, I might barf grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Some of them still post here every once in a while. Some have left us like Sonny and bullwinkle.

Didn't I read that Bullwinkle was killed on a bike ride?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs

Jim had a heart attack and died.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mr. Boddington, ahem

just thought i'd take a minute away from all the seriousness of this thread to say thanks for what you do. reading your stories and informative articles has given me a lot of hours of enjoyment.

Keep doing what you do.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dude, he ain't listening.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

He could be,yah never know.

I'm pretty sure he's part of a conspiracy involving the Federal Reserve to destroy the Ron Paul effort to have a tea party and fix the world.

Bristoe told be it had the mark of the Jewish thing all over it.

Sorry,

Wrong thread. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs

Jim had a heart attack and died.

BCR

Ah, sad to hear either way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

A nice story, and like Bluedreaux I'm sleepy too! grin

However, one point of correction in your fair tale... JJ and the entire shooters.com cohort showed up after more than a few of us had been here for some time (I'm actually member #30).

I used to post on Shooters occasionally and also at the old Coffee Shop, as well as huntamerica (groan) and accuratereloading... 24hr is the best of the bunch.

Yup. Paul W (I won't even try to spell his last name) is probably the oldest member that is still active. E4E and I shuffled the Shooters.com crew over here--not JJ! Doesn't matter though. We're all here now!

Wade

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Waders is member #24. And a good guy besides.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'm only active when i'm in town.

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang, i just realized you are member #30..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paul is member #17--I think RickBin should change his handle to "Father Time."

Wade

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We all registered within a few weeks of each other... where does time go?

"Father Time"... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not that old!!! bastids!! grins

Has been fun though! i do enjoy this place quite a bit!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boddington stayed around for a whopping three posts, somebody must have made quite an impression. He probablly stumbled across eight or nine CA sucks threads. ")

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are correct and I stand corrected. *

On a whim I sorted the user list by member number. Interesting to see who the real old timers are. Good folks all, some real characters among them. I miss Sonnie.

* smell of burning wool must have altered my brain cells. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm kinda surprised at the number who sign up and then leave soon after, I guess the place is a little too intense for some.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Welcome Craig!!

Rick
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to bump this nearly 23 year old thread to the top, just to see how many folks respond with 'welcomes' without reading the OP, nor realizing how old it is.

Hint, the Col is now a retired Brigader General (or was selected anyhow), and hasn't logged into this site since 2001.

GO!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rc82bttb
Welcome Craig!!
What he said!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I almost bit…..but couldn’t believe that it was 7 pages long and I hadn’t seen it! So I checked it’s “born on date”! 😂 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/24/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
That bromance didn’t last long.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I'm going to bump this nearly 23 year old thread to the top, just to see how many folks respond with 'welcomes' without reading the OP, nor realizing how old it is.

Hint, the Col is now a retired Brigader General (or was selected anyhow), and hasn't logged into this site since 2001.

GO!

T Inman;
Good evening my cyber friend, I hope that winter has been behaving for you all and you're getting enough snow pack, etc. that everyone seems to be concerned about this time of the year.

Herein starts my one and only interaction with Craig Boddington, which took place a couple years back.

There was a campfire discussion about the writing of Ed Nixon, which I happened to very much enjoy and attempted to participate in as a result.

When I sent a PM to Mule Deer/John Barsness with a question regarding what he might know about Mr. Nixon, he suggested I try to contact Craig as he had been more connected to Mr. Nixon, I want to say as the Editor at Peterson's Hunting when the Nixon stories were published.

So I did attempt to contact Craig, it must have been through FacePlant as I recall, and he answered quite quickly.

We had a pleasant exchange, including me sending him a list of the Nixon stories I had and him replying back that there were - again going off of memory without looking - 1 story/magazine which I didn't have to make a complete collection.

Anyways, I thought it was cool at the time and honestly still do.

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/24/24. Reason: more information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal

GO!

T Inman;
Good evening my cyber friend, I hope that winter has been behaving for you all and you're getting enough snow pack, etc. that everyone seems to be concerned about this time of the year.

Herein starts my one and only interaction with Craig Boddington, which took place a couple years back.

There was a campfire discussion about the writing of Ed Nixon, which I happened to very much enjoy and attempted to participate in as a result.

When I sent a PM to Mule Deer/John Barsness with a question regarding what he might know about Mr. Nixon, he suggested I try to contact Craig as he had been more connected to Mr. Nixon, I want to say as the Editor at Peterson's Hunting when the Nixon stories were published.

So I did attempt to contact Craig, it must have been through FacePlant as I recall, and he answered quite quickly.

We had a pleasant exchange, including me sending him a list of the Nixon stories I had and him replying back that there were - again going off of memory without looking - 1 story/magazine which I didn't have to make a complete collection.

All the best.

Dwayne

Yes sir.....
I have corresponded with him too and he was very polite and generous with his time.
He left a good impression on me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T Inman;
Thanks for the reply sir.

That doesn't surprise me at all, but thanks for the confirmation.

All the best for the rest of the week my friend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Oldest thread I’ve seen

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

GO!

T Inman;

All the best.

Dwayne

Yes sir.....
I have corresponded with him too and he was very polite and generous with his time.
He left a good impression on me.

Same with me…….I talked with him a couple of times in the late ‘80’s! Nice guy……but that can be said for pretty much everyone that I’ve met in the shooting/hunting industry! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I briefly chatted with him in Dallas a couple of weeks ago. Always friendly. Also fun reading this thread as a reminder of what this place once was.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Craig Boddington
Hi, Guys--What's it like to do this stuff for a living? Good question. Nothing is as much fun as a business as it is when it's a hobby. You make your bed, you lie in it. I've been very fortunate, and certainly wouldn't trade; I've gotten to do an awful lot of what we all like to do, and have done some things I never dreamed I'd be able to do. It's not necessarily easy; I work at it pretty hard, lotsa hours. Our business doesn't pay Playboy or National Geographic rates, so in order to make ends meet and go on some of the hunts I want to go on it's kind of a volume business. Like I said, I write fast (not always well, but fast). No complaints on that; I'm a workaholic by nature. I think the biggest downside to my business is the self-imposed pressure. I can't think about a hunt as the hunt itself; I have to think about it in terms of the story. It's business, so failure is unacceptable. Once in a while you can write about the one that got away . . . but not often! This means that, at some point, good enough has to be good enough. Lots of times I would just as soon keep hunting until the last minute and look for the really super trophy . . . and walk away empty-handed and happy if he doesn't show up. Usually I can't do that. The story comes first, and that means that all too often I have to settle for an animal that is less than I really want. That's the down side. Playing with different guns, that's mostly fun if you're a rifle nut like me. Except I often have an obligation to use somebody's new super-banger on a hunt when I'd much prefer to use one of my own familiar and trusted rifles. So there's a down side to that as well! But I'm certainly not whining--I have been well blessed, and I know it!<BR>Gotta run, hear the deadline alarm ringing in the distance. Regards to all, will check in along the trail. Craig

Am quoting this post for several reasons--first that I know Craig pretty well. We met for the first time at the 1982 annual convention of the Outdoor Writers Association of America (OWAA), held that year in Spokane, when we were both 29. We'd each recently joined the OWAA, which has certain requirements to join. We ended up sitting next to each other at one of the lunches (which typically served a couple hundred members) and after introducing ourselves had a very interesting conversation. I'd qualified for membership by selling enough articles to various magazines in 1981, and Craig being hired to edit the Guns & Ammo "specialty" magazines. By the end of the conversation he'd given me an assignment, which as I recall was something about western deer rifles.

I did more work for him, which continued when he became editor of Peterson's Hunting a few years later. In the early 1990s he hired me as a staff writer for PH, primarily as the magazine's first hunting optics columnist, though I also wrote a bunch of feature articles on various subjects. He was perhaps the easiest and most efficient editor I ever worked for, partly due to his Marine discipline. This was before the Internet, and 2-3 times a year I'd type him a letter with various column and feature-article ideas 2-3 sentences long--and in maybe three days it would return from Los Angeles (where all the people who worked for PH had to work back then). with short notes in the margins of the various ideas, which ranged from "OK" to "No" to an occasional "Hell, no!"--sometimes with comments such as "Please include mule deer."

You learn a lot about somebody by working for 'em, but we also sometimes ended up on the same "industry hunts," where various writers/editors are invited to try out new products in the field. One that I really remember was a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming, attended by around a dozen writers. At the end Craig asked everybody else if they were taking their meat home, and the majority weren't. So he asked if he could take their meat, and when they said yes, he spent a couple hours boning out enough meat to fill the cooler he brought along. Believe it or not, quite a few gun/hunting writers don't bring home meat--just the heads or hides, if anything.

Just a couple years ago Craig asked me to write the foreword for his latest book Favorite Rifles and Cartridges, something usually done for free. Since he'd often provided "jacket comments" for my books, I was happy to do so--and the last line of my intro is, "Thanks again, Craig!" That's because he's provided so much good advice and good stories from his vast experience over the decades.

(Might also mention that a few years ago we were e-mailing back and forth about something, and I mentioned that I might be going to Africa twice that year--and was not really looking forward to all the plane travel. Craig e-mailed back: "Be careful what you wish for!")

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
T Inman;

Dwayne

What about after that? laugh

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Long years ago I hoped he would stay.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I often wonder whether Craig Boddington is chasing that 100 buffalo goal that Charles Askins started but didn't quite achieve.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
I often wonder whether Craig Boddington is chasing that 100 buffalo goal that Charles Askins started but didn't quite achieve.

Askins would always get sidetracked if there happened to be a person he could kill. Maybe he killed a hundred people instead?

Last edited by moosemike; 01/30/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by moosemike

Askins would always get sidetracked if there happened to be a person he could kill. Maybe he killed a hundred people instead?
He was an "interesting" character. I really liked his story of hunting gaur in Indochina around the Vietnam era.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Reloder28
T Inman;

Dwayne

What about after that? laugh

It's a week by week, sometimes a day by day thing.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

He was an "interesting" character. I really liked his story of hunting gaur in Indochina around the Vietnam era.

I can't remember what year issue it was but in one of The Gun Digest books, Atkins wrote that he was the first man to kill another man with the then-new S&W .44 Magnum. It was in Vietnam, I think, where he smoked some miscreant native with it. Atkins said the .44 Magnum worked quite well killing other men. grin

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

I can't remember what year issue it was but in one of The Gun Digest books, Atkins wrote that he was the first man to kill another man with the then-new S&W .44 Magnum. It was in Vietnam, I think, where he smoked some miscreant native with it. Atkins said the .44 Magnum worked quite well killing other men. grin

FWIW.

L.W.
It was in 1957 on a trail and he shot a Viet Minh who was carrying a MAS 49 (7.5mm) over his shoulder. He shot him double-action and the 240 grain bullet through the ribs swept him off his feet. Askins had his service rifle with him but wanted to try the .44 Magnum instead. I might also add that Askins wanted a tiger, shot at one in the night, but either missed or it wasn't a fatal shot...apparently he never got a tiger, something he really wanted.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 02/06/24.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[quote=Riflehunter]I often wonder whether Craig Boddington is chasing that 100 buffalo goal that Charles Askins started but didn't quite achieve.

If I recall correctly, Craig exceeded 100 buffalo a while ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

FWIW.

L.W.
It was in 1957 on a trail and he shot a Viet Minh who was carrying a MAS 49 (7.5mm) over his shoulder. He shot him double-action and the 240 grain bullet through the ribs swept him off his feet. Askins had his service rifle with him but wanted to try the .44 Magnum instead. I might also add that Askins wanted a tiger, shot at one in the night, but either missed or it wasn't a fatal shot...apparently he never got a tiger, something he really wanted.

Riflehunter, thank you for that clarification. I could not remember which issue of The Gun Digest that was in.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Can someone ask I'm about the unlimited lamb his daughter (I think...maybe wife) shot a couple years ago?

"Dear Col. Boddington, how much $$$ did it take for that lamb to become legal?"

Same guy right?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 11 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,596
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.