Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gene L
I don't care for the use of hyphenated or prefaced Americans. That's my world, and may be as unobtainable as anarchy is for a governmental system (or lack thereof) but it's still the way I prefer to see it.

BTW, that photo looks photoshopped...the brown buy in front looks like his head has been pasted on.

If so, he is the lightest shade of the bunch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Barak I always enjoy reading your post and I find myself agreeing with you a lot.
But I believe a Barakistan system would fall victim to the very same thing that our current system has all but died from.
Mans uncanny ability to mess things up. Man is never satisfied and this has and will always be his undoing.
Any societal system has to be maintained, and as we all know to many people are lazy and apathetic. This leaves the work to fewer people and these people do not always agree. Some are dedicated to the system and work diligently to preserve it. But others are using the freedom that the system gives them to try to make changes. Individuals that do this are not much of a concern it is when they form groups that they become a problem. Some want change so they can satisfy their greed and power lust. Some want to make changes to protect others whether they want it or not. So slowly the system starts to erode and history repeats it's self once again.
It is not the system that fails man it is man that fails the system.

Pat

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned.
When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot."
_ Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gene L
You have an odd way of classifying people, brown, non-brown...they're not brown to me, any more than Americans are brown.

As for drug addiction, the simple view that making drugs legal solves problems doesn't pay homage to the laws of supply and demand. When drugs are legalized, it pretty well stands to reason that the usage goes up. That's true with any thing of value...add to the supply, usage goes out the window. Econ 101.

Look at tobacco use, which is regulated increasingly over the yeatrs. Supply in the 60s, when about 70 percent of people used tobacco (I think it was 69% of all Americans) was high, taxes low, and usage spiked. When our government raised taxes and costs, the supply went down over here (imports went up overseas).

It's specious to argue otherwise. The price of de-regulating drugs is a much higher usage, and while the price MAY drop in a country where there is no regulation, that won't be the case...it would be like tobacco and alcohol, and now, even soft drinks are being looked at for "sin taxes." Higher taxes mean a different class of criminals, and dealers will still deal illegally to sell a cheaper, tax-free product, and make lots of money. At our ultimate expense.

Individuals may chose to use drugs, their choice, and few go to jail for simply using drugs. However, there is an ancilary sociatal cost for it, and nothing can change that. I don't care what a person does so long as it doesn't affect me and so long as it's somewhat moral, but drug use affects us all in costs of addiction. It's both a moral cost and a financial cost. I don't intend to pay for additional services for drug addicts that increase with drug usage.

Government bans (and/or insinuates it will ban) magazines, pistols, rifles, and blah blah blah. People that never wanted them before suddenly want them because they are forbidden fruit.

I hope they pass the food laws so you can tell us how some poor bastard that ate a twinkie after curfew got the sodomizing he deserved.

Still see no one is wanting to discuss banning alcohol and how much good that would do the USA. Gee, I just can't imagine the reason(s) for wanting to skip that one? laugh

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
His system is no system at all, as far as I can tell. It's simply the elimination of all the manifestations of state and government, i.e., 100% private sector, 0% public sector. Basically, think Range Wars.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HOOKER
Barak I always enjoy reading your post and I find myself agreeing with you a lot.
But I believe a Barakistan system would fall victim to the very same thing that our current system has all but died from.
Mans uncanny ability to mess things up. Man is never satisfied and this has and will always be his undoing.
Any societal system has to be maintained, and as we all know to many people are lazy and apathetic. This leaves the work to fewer people and these people do not always agree. Some are dedicated to the system and work diligently to preserve it. But others are using the freedom that the system gives them to try to make changes. Individuals that do this are not much of a concern it is when they form groups that they become a problem. Some want change so they can satisfy their greed and power lust. Some want to make changes to protect others whether they want it or not. So slowly the system starts to erode and history repeats it's self once again.
It is not the system that fails man it is man that fails the system.

Pat

What you say is exactly why States don't work.

Under a State, all those depraved people you talk about can get coercive political power to subjugate others, so that their evil can destroy hundreds or thousands or millions of lives, rather than just their own.

In a free society, subjugation is replaced by submission: you submit to whatever authority you choose, whenever you choose, and you withdraw your submission whenever you like. No one can long maintain power unless he materially improves the lives of those who choose to submit to him--else they'll offer their submission elsewhere, or perhaps nowhere at all. Evil men can still ruin their own lives, and perhaps those of a few others; but no one can wreak the destruction of a Josef Stalin, or even a George W Bush or a Barack Obama.

Your objection is a restatement of the classic, "Man must be governed, for he is incapable of governing himself." The classic response, of course, is, "How then can he govern others?"

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So you are suggesting that there can be no system without a controlling government? Will individuals taking control of their own lives some how turn us into base war mongers?
Is it government that makes man civil?

Pat

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned.
When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot."
_ Mark Twain
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
So you are suggesting that there can be no system without a controlling government? Will individuals taking control of their own lives some how turn us into base war mongers?

Pat
Laws make men civil. Laws cannot exist in any meaningful way without someone in authority to enforce them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Barak
Your objection is a restatement of the classic, "Man must be governed, for he is incapable of governing himself." The classic response, of course, is, "How then can he govern others?"
Very true, which is why in every case where men are permitted to rule other men, tyranny is the result. Much better that law rule over men, than that men do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

One example I read somewhere that stuck with me pointed out that on two-lane non-divided highways, cars frequently pass within a few feet or even inches of each other at combined speeds of well over 100mph. If one of the drivers were to swerve into the oncoming lane, he could do a terrific amount of tragic damage.

Which is why every two-lane non-divided highway has a concrete Jersey barrier down the center: to prevent that from happening.

What was that? There aren't concrete Jersey barriers down the middle of every such highway? And the roads aren't flowing with blood? How is that possible?

The answer, of course, is that people can spontaneously organize themselves when they act solely in their own self-interest. The only time they have to be coercively organized by others is when the incentives God built into the universe are coercively distorted by a State.

The State applies coercion and causes a problem, which it fixes by applying more coercion--which causes two more problems, which motivates even more coercion, and so on. That's how States get so big.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Pat
Laws make men civil. Laws cannot exist in any meaningful way without someone in authority to enforce them.

You have yet to explain how the Law Merchant worked so well for much longer than the US has been in existence with no coercive enforcement whatever.

The impossibility of a phenomenon is frequently severely damaged by its actual occurrence in the real world.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Man WILL be governed because he feels an overwhelming need to be governed. In areas where that government is nearly non-existant citizens are unable to organize because gangs (read tribes) spring up to rule them without any rule of law.

As for alcohol, which my friend Jason wanly uses as a straw-man, it's not a question of "banning" it, as no one except fanatics want to ban it. It's legal already.

Drugs are illegal and will stay that way.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by JasonB
Originally Posted by isaac
Not sure if I would find enough qualities in Barak that I would want him as a friend, but I am seeing enough out of you that you couldn't be
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You're an insolent little goob for a new boy, aint ya'?

As for Barak, I sure could. The fact the sky is a different color in his universe is what makes this world go 'round,youngster.

As for VAnimrod...he's been a buddy for a few years now and with 85% of your 100 or so posts bringing the art of stupid up to the next tier, I wouldn't get too over-confident anyone gives a rat's ass about your valley-girl cackling.

I'm figuring you for an 11th grader who came in 3rd with the football team's mascot tryouts who just likes hangin' out in the basement smoking stepmom's reefer!

You missed my age by quite a bit. And what is it with big government promoters (such as yourself) always claiming anyone that disagrees with them is in high school?

If your rationale matches it, well, that's where the hypothesis as to age comes from.

If you're older than that, and your ideology still matches that of an idealistic, though misguided and inexperienced, child perhaps the problem lies deeper than expected.

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
You'll get all that and more with the legal drug alchohol, along with health-threatening toxicity. (Yeah, I drink... grin...)

There are a couple (and there could be more invented someday) drugs that are, truly, as bad as the anti's would have us believe that ALL drugs are. I admit, as with most things philosophical, there's a grey area there, a fly in the ointment of legalization. Meth comes to mind.

But, most are fairly benign and possibly even beneficial in occasional use.

But that misses the point. Is this my [bleep]' head, my conciousness, my body... Or not? Is the State in charge of my conciousness, or am I? Do I have the right to do something unhealthy, or don't I?

How can someone be free, if the government asserts a right to control their conciousness?

As to the negatives, and they will exist, simply apply the same logic used with guns or cars. Plenty of death and mayhem comes from the ownership and use of those. Punish actual criminal acts, not the potential to commit same. Simple.

As to having sand in my mangina you are damn right I do! I'm sick of your bullshit. Come on, man! You are better than that. Stop using this place as your personal dumping ground for whatever it is that's bugging you. This is a forum with 10's of thousands of members. And YOU, sir, stand out as the single person most likely to be a rude arsehole to someone and ruin a thread.

I do, seriously, believe you are better than that. If you are- buck up! If you aren't- STFU! smile

And, you're the most likely to whine. Go figure..............

BTW - only a few bad ones? Tell ya what, sport. How about you and your family relocate into this area. After dealing with the cocaine, crack, heroin, meth, and yes, certainly alcohol, addicts for a while; and all the attendant problems of break-ins, rapes, murders, theft, robbery, and the lovely detritus they leave behind, you then tell me that they are predominantly harmless.

This ain't a weed thing, though you consistently fail to understand that.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You have yet to explain how the Law Merchant worked so well for much longer than the US has been in existence with no coercive enforcement whatever.
The colonies had no one in authority to enforce laws??

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very true, which is why in every case where men are permitted to rule other men, tyranny is the result. Much better that law rule over men, than that men do.

Laws are inanimate objects. When all is said and done it's man ruling over man.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Ok, I looked it up. It was a system of trade law. There were non-governmental courts that enforced them. Essentially, if you wanted to participate in that system of trade (strong economic motive) you had to agree to be subject to its rulings. It worked fine. I wasn't talking about trade laws. I was talking about the laws of civil society. You cannot permit a murderer, for example, to choose whether or not he wishes to participate in the court system.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Control can be taken by less than forceful means.
Those who hold the gold will always have the ability to control others.Those who lack scruples will take advantage of this ability. The need for basic necessities will always provide them with submissive victims willing or not.

Pat

_ Mark Twain
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Laws are inanimate objects. When all is said and done it's man ruling over man.
The rule of man exists when men in authority are empowered to enforce their personal will on others. The rule of law exists when men in authority are empowered only to apply the law.

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Control can be taken by less than forceful means.
Those who hold the gold will always have the ability to control others.Those who lack scruples will take advantage of this ability. The need for basic necessities will always provide them with submissive victims willing or not.

Pat

Exactly. See Hussein, and his supporters like JeffObama, for PRIME examples.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The colonies had no one in authority to enforce laws??

Earlier. The Wikipedia page on it leaves a little to be desired, but it's better than nothing.

Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 160user, 2500HD, 57 invisible), 2,176 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,396
Posts18,506,897
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.