Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
They could do a real classic-30-30 win, in the 7600 with a 20" tube.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Or build 788's again...in 30/30.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How bout just build one that shoots straight.

Har!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
I would love to have a 700 Classic in .358 Winchester.

I always did too. So much, I have a stainless 35cal bbl, M700 SA BDL action and a SA Classic stock waiting for after hunting season for a trip to the gunsmith.

Remington should do another run of the Classics over again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My vote is for a Model 700 CDL - SF "Limited Edition" in 7X57!

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I thought they did one of the real "Classics" in 7x57. Have you done a search on gun broker? Or checked the Remington site?

Aim for the exit hole.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I thought they discontinued the Classic series altogether either last year or the year before?
Me too...................547.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
I thought they did one of the real "Classics" in 7x57. Have you done a search on gun broker? Or checked the Remington site?

I have one of the "real" classics in 7X57, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want one in stainless with a fluted barrel! grin
Besides they did that, what, 25 years ago? It's time for a new 7X57 from Big Green.

Last edited by Teeder; 10/02/09.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Teeder: The 7x57 was offered in the Remington 700 Classic back in 1981 or 28 years ago.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
JohnMoses: Are you inferring that the Remington Classics "do not shoot straight"?
If you are, I have a ton of experience that directly differs with your contention!
Let me relay JUST ONE example of a Remington 700 Classics documented accuracy for now!
Years ago I bought a Remington 700 Classic in 222 Remington caliber - never did a thing to it besides the compulsory trigger job and I mounted a Lyman 10 power scope on it and torqued the action screws.
The FIRST handload I tried in that Rifle produced a group (5 shots at 100 yards) that measured .451"!
Now lets recap here a moment - this is a LIGHT barreled all factory stock Rifle shooting ITS FIRST test load using Varmint type bullets with a 10 power scope and it makes a group (5 shots at 100 yards) that measures .451"!
I think surely you jest, but in case you aren't jesting, that Rifle continues to shoot exceptionally "STRAIGHT" - to this day. Its best group (5 shots at 100 yards) measured .373".
My last 6 trips to the range with this Rifle (all in different years!) produced 6 groups (all 5 shots at 100 yards) for sight in verification that AVERAGED .593"!
Show me a comparable Rifle from another "maker" that will do this well - PLEASE!
Cause I'll start buying them!
And, I was SO impressed with that Remington 700 Classic Rifle that some years later I came across another one just like it and I bought it also.
If you are NOT "jesting" with your contention then I will relay to you how STRAIGHT that other Remington Classic Rifle shoots!
Long live Big Green!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or they could build a Real Classic, a 600....in a usable deer round shootable by all, a 250/3000, so marked, oh, make the bbl the original config, but stretch to 20-22". Either fine bead blue/nice wood, or SS/Syn with fine bead blasted for glare.

Nah, would not make the bean counters happy either, nor sound sexy enough for the board.

VG, I never had a bad 222, but I did have a quirky 700 Classic Swede! Last 2-3" of lands were damaged as if a crowning pilot had gouged them. Yes, accuracy was adversely affected and yes I was the original owner, gun new in box. Killed a few deer, and sold it. NICE wood though, w/proper 8 twist (something they goofed on their 260s) but damaged bore - would have EASILY been seen w/eye on inspection, but the bean counters must have said send it out the door!

VG, I am happy your experienced mirrored what I had with a few, but not with ALL as I had some rotten Rems and that's just the facts. Good ones are nice, bad ones you just want to cuss and make you try other rifles like Ruger even in #1s and find they can/do shoot VERY well out the box and none of the 5 I had ever came with the defects off the assembly line and out the door of Big Green. I know mileage varies among all. Ruger and Sako are my current go to deer rifles, and a Dakota (pre-Rem) in 6BR is paper/varmints and soon to be broken in on deer also. All 3 shoot fine out the box, and I never once wish I had a Rem to replace.

It's nice we all have options to find what works best for us.

Re: 358, since it's a Win round, I always thought the "Ultra Light Mannlicher', WINCHESTER that is, in Mannlicher stock would have been a NATURAL, but the custom shops nearly 3k price tag was a road block. If they built it now at a Ruger RSI price, I would put my order in today.

Well, here is one such gun, how about that....but 5,500. Must have doubled with our 'hyper-inflation' LOL.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/93763516...0_CUSTOM_MANNLICHER_IN_RARE_358_WIN.htm#

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For some reason, many of the "Classic" edition were real shooters. I have two, one in .35 Whelen and one in .257 Roberts. I have a couple of friends who also have them, in .30-06, .300 Win and .375 H&H and all of those rifles have been really good shooters. Both of mine have trigger jobs but nothing else and they are consistently MOA or better (when I am up to the task!)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a shooting buddy, an MD, who had a good relationship with a major wholesaler rep. He was told that Rem's with a 'C' on the underneath of the bolt handle, were mfg. out of the custom shop. Prior to him commenting and me seeing the 'C' on other non-classics, I thought the C was only done on Classics.

I believe ALL the Classic's I have owned and examined have this 'C' stamp, yet I found other 700s I owned long ago, having the 'C' that were not IIRC for example a 220 Swift in VSSF, that gun shot a group it seems of .297, and I think for 5 shots at 100 yds. Later for whatever reason, that same gun and load being used had a few cases that blew some primers and maybe case head failures, cannot recall the details, but it was sold. It was a shooter. The MD above always wanted to check for the 'C' on any 700, and I think the XP100s had them as well - he had a custom shop mfg. 22-250 w/HB and I think it had the mark.

There may be some truth in the 'C' stamp coming from the custom shop, but with Rem's 'platform' ALL guns that leave the factory should be VOID of the multitude of plaqued guns I bought New in Box back in the 90s. Perhaps their QC has improved, but I continue hearing enough reports on bad shooters that I won't risk my money. I know Rem lovers out there hate it when I speak about my experiences. It's no slam on the owners, nor rebuttal on the great experiences others have, just a reporting of my experiences. I had another 220 Swift, a VS that I set in a BDL varmint stock as it felt better to me. I think I removed the pressure pad and perhaps glass bedded the action. That gun shot half MOA consistently, another very good shooter, and it may have had the 'C' I cannot recall, and I took another like gun, a 3rd I had bought and sold to a buddy. One was a 24" the other a 26", they shot identical, my buddy even won a few local matches to 415 yds using it in a BR shoot we have here. The Swifts seemed like very strong shooters, perhaps Swift owners demand more but it is an accurate round, despite known for case stretching that is a PIA. Ironically I owned a 26" VLS that was in 223, floated, etc. etc. did everything to get that gun to really shoot and the best it would do was around 5/8-3/4, poor for a HB 223 700 in my book. Later a deuce BDL sporter shot around 3/8 for 3, it was a shooter. Something was not right with the 223, action squareness, chamber job, and/or bore dimensions/consistency, or stress in the bbl. For those above good shooters, I have had a greater number of 7s and 700s with issues, accuracy and otherwise. Owned a deuce, 243, and 350RM in 600s and none had issue, the first two drove tacks w/pitted bores, short stiff tubes and likely nicely squared actions from the factory were why. A 788 deuce also shot half moa with a former owners botched job of shortening the bbl/crowning, a joke, and the bore seemed not in great condition either.

I would trust any 700 made pre 85 or so for quality and accuracy, as in my experience, they started having issues around the early 90s, and I do mean I owned and seen alot of them with problems. If Rem had QC like say Sako, and refused to allow bad ones to go out the door, then Rem could perhaps have retained more shooters like me, but demanding shooters who have had a run of bad luck with the bad guns that Rem let out, were forever burned and Rem's Customer Service is often, 'it shoots spec' which is like 2-2.5" or so, which flies in the face that their beloved 700 ads say, 'the most accurate rifle out the box' which does not hold water for me.

As to Classics, I can fathom that better detail was put forth, but if so, I have no explanation as to why my Swede had blatant tooling marks in the bore.

I do say if my Swede HAD a good bbl, I likely would have kept it, the stock had nice wood, very, and I had a great round chambered. It also had a good feel/balance. Probably fit me better than any save the LSS MR in SA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR
I had a shooting buddy, an MD, who had a good relationship with a major wholesaler rep. He was told that Rem's with a 'C' on the underneath of the bolt handle, were mfg. out of the custom shop. Prior to him commenting and me seeing the 'C' on other non-classics, I thought the C was only done on Classics.

All my Chrome-moly Remington actions have a "C" under the bolt handle and my stainless ones have an "S." None of them are Classics or Custom shop rifles...

RH

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am quite certain not all Chrome Moly rifles had the C, and it was initially to my understanding reserved for Custom Shop guns and Classics, and apparently those which were coming from the Custom Shop.

Maybe other Rem owners can chime in but I had many Rems w/o such 'C' marking, and I don't recall any SS having an 'S' and I had several.

I'd be curious to know the facts myself, again I was reporting what another person told me, but you know how that goes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ya just never know when it comes to what Remington thinks/does. No jab at you and I hope you didn't take it that way.

RH

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Re: 358, since it's a Win round, I always thought the "Ultra Light Mannlicher', WINCHESTER that is, in Mannlicher stock would have been a NATURAL, but the custom shops nearly 3k price tag was a road block. If they built it now at a Ruger RSI price, I would put my order in today."
Interesting comment. back in IIRC, 1982, I talked to the Ruger rep about them bringing the RSI out in .358 Win. I thought that would be a fanyastic rifle to have. His answer, and I quoye vebatim, "NO [bleep] WAY!" quite loudly as a matter of fact as quite a few heads turned and looked. I still think it's a damned good idea. I habe three RSI's in .308 Win. two are quite slim as they should be for that type rifle but number three is a bit thicker in the middle and a tad more clubby. I have seriously given thought to taking one of my standard Ruger 77s in .358 (I have two) and seeing if I can't put it into that slightly more stout stock. The rear sight wouldn't be a problem and I'm sure the muzzle cap an be made to fit, but I'm not all that sure about the front sight. I dunno if it's sweated on or integral with the barrel. Probably sweated, but I just don't know. Thore RSI's are not the most accurate kid on the block, but I do love them for the way they handle and their looks.

VG. I have a few Remington 700s and two, an ADL and BDL in 30-06 were fair when it came to accuracy. The ADL was bad enough that I got rid of it a few years back. The BDL is fair at best but falls within my consistant accuracy level so I'll keep it.
My consistant accuracy level is 1.5" or less (preferably less day in and day out, year in and year out. I put that rifle into an early (1982) H&S Precision fiberthane stock and it falls into that level of accuracy. The key is "consistant".
I have two of the remington classics, a 30-06 which was never a part of those limited runs and it is decently accurate running anywhere from 1.0" to 1 .25" depending on the load. The other clasic, a .35 Whelen may or may not be a decent shooter. It does act like it wants to shoot, but the very crappy gritty rough POS trigger makes it difficult to shoot from the bench. It's like running two rat tail files against each other. The two 06's have great triggers, no grating, no creep and both are from NIB guns I bought at gun stores. The .35 Whelan classic I found at a gun show, and I'm betting that's why the guy sold it. He had trouble with the trigger too.
I won't even go into the trouble my ex-some-in-law has gone through with his Remington .257 Robt. stainles commemorative rifle. So far, it's gone back to Remington, and when it came back, it had no extractor. I must say it's a fairly accurate rifle though, even if you have to use a cleaning rod to remove the fired case. Remington is sending him two new extractors with profuse apologies.
The only other remington I've had in centerfire is my old M660 in .308 Win. It too now sits in an early H&S Precision stock that I bought at the same time as the one for the M700. That rifle is a good shooter as well and is extremely consistant. I did the stock job on that one in late 1982 and every year it put three 165 gr. Speer hot-cores exactly 3.0" inches high at 100 yards; exactly where I want them to go. Can't ask for anything better than that. The only repair it's ever had was I had to replace the extractor that had worn out. I was doing a lot of cast bullet shooting at the time (still do) and after over 5,000 rounds, the thing just flat wore out.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Jericho
I would love to have a 700 Classic in .358 Winchester.

I always did too. So much, I have a stainless 35cal bbl, M700 SA BDL action and a SA Classic stock waiting for after hunting season for a trip to the gunsmith.

Remington should do another run of the Classics over again.

Limited CDL SF in .358win would be nice!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jerico

I got tired of waiting for that to happen so I had a short action rebored to 358Win and put it in a Classic stock. grin

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just for reference:

[Linked Image]

I believe the "Model 700 CDL SF Limited Edition" has become the new one-chambering-per-year, limited edition Model 700 rifle replacing the Model 700 Classic in the product line.

-Bob F.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1234, 71 invisible), 3,529 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,385
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.