Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 66 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 65 66
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 257STEW
I chamber a round but still need to cock the firing pin on my bolt actions.The millisecond it takes I can live with, shooting a hunting partner I cannot live with and no animal is worth my partners life. I will not rely on a safety to keep my gun from firing, they have been known to fail. Just about everyone knows or has been around a gun that has gone off when it is not suppose to. My last 2 hunting partners that I went for a walk with were my kids, round chambered but firing pin not cocked,see moose simply lift handle and put back down and your ready.
I really like my marlin as all I have to do is pull the hammer back and it has that 1/2 safety thing so it is a really safe one to walk with.
My ruger #1 and my model 88's do not do that,you would have to load and rely on the safety so I do not chamber rounds unless I am by myself walking. That is just the way I do it. If my partner wants to walk with a round in the chamber and rely on the safety he can walk by himself as it is me he is going to shoot.

So where is the tip of your firing pin resting on your bolt action rifles when the bolt is closed and the handle needs to be raised and lowered to cock it?
In this case with mine, the tip is pushing against the primer of a loaded round, and a small accidental blow to the back of it will fire the rifle.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Also, and not to pick on any one individual, I know that if you pull the triger on a loaded pre-64 94 Winchester with the hammer on half-cock (safety), it can release the hammer to fall on the firing pin. I had it happen once when I was a kid and I was fiddling around pulling on the trigger with the safety "on". The hammer fell, trying to fire the shell in the chamber, but the rifle (thank God) didn't fire. I NEVER forgot what could have happened if it had fired.
I guess in that instance anyway, there wasn't enough weight behind the hammer falling to set off the primer. Maybe next time, huh?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
IMO the firing pin is not resting "against" the primer,it is inside the bolt, and the spring that ejects it from the bolt is not under tension and still seems safer than a safty,we are after all human and forgetting is part of our make up as well as being naive.
Look at park brakes, everyone has seen or done the classic jump out of the car and get back in and release the brake to find out it was not set to begin with. Just about every trucker I know has gotten out of their truck and back in and go to release the air brakes and realized they never pulled the button before they got out. Safeties can be the same way,think they are on and they are not.
All I am saying is that no animal is worth any ones life and I do not take the chance. I live to hunt and my hunting would be over if I ever shot someone. Many a person is living with the guilt of doing just that(accidentally of course,intentionally is a whole different thing) and I do not want to be one of them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hunt with a round chambered and safety on. I hunt in the midwest and if I am "hunting" it means that I am either sitting, 95 percent, or walking very slowly. I almost always hunt alone and use my binoculars to ID possible game. If I am walking to or from my hunting area I unload completely.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Neither hot nor cold is �wrong� and I hunt both ways depending on conditions.

One thing is for sure � an empty chamber is 100% safe 100% of the time � no exceptions.

Another thing, an empty chamber should not be an excuse for poor handling technique and ignoring standard safety rules.

Looking back on my kills over the years I�m hard pressed to think of one big game animal I�ve taken that I could not have harvested if hunting with a cold chamber. Many, in fact, were taken when I was hunting cold.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Neither hot nor cold is �wrong� and I hunt both ways depending on conditions.

One thing is for sure � an empty chamber is 100% safe 100% of the time � no exceptions.

Another thing, an empty chamber should not be an excuse for poor handling technique and ignoring standard safety rules.

Looking back on my kills over the years I�m hard pressed to think of one big game animal I�ve taken that I could not have harvested if hunting with a cold chamber. Many, in fact, were taken when I was hunting cold.

Was thinking the same thing as i was writing my previous posts, nothing ever got away because i had to chamber a round.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Almost all guns have inertial firing pins. The pin isn't long enough to rest on the primer of a loaded cartridge. if this weren't so, engaging the safety wouldn't relieve pressure on the primer unless the safety cams the firing pin away from the round. Many bolt action rifles have this feature.

Went hunting with a friend once. When we and several others returned to the campsite around noon, a fellow came into camp with a '94 Win. cocked! I asked him to take care of this as we didn't come into camp with a round in the chamber. He looked down, suprised, and ejected the round in the chamber. Said he got the rifle the night before and wasn't familiar yet. Seems he chambered a round in the morning and had been walking around all morn with the hammer cocked!

he was embaressed and we showed him how his new rifle worked. He had never been hunting before.
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
has anyone ever jumped an animal they are hunting and had them stand there waiting for a shot? I have, and if my gun were empty I would sure feel foolish, rather than be getting the knife out to gut him

Unless you walk around with the rifle already shouldered like a swat ninja clearing a building, you have to mount the rifle before you can shoot. It takes zero extra time to work the bolt while you're mounting the rifle to your shoulder, just a little cooridination and practice. Are all of y'all really that clumsy that you can't run the freaking bolt while bringing the rifle to eye level? It's not that dang hard. If it is, you need to practice a little more with your rifle or take up golf.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by CLB
It's rare when I have an empty chamber while I'm hunting.....the little thingy on the side is called a safety!

Chris

There is a little thingy in your head called a brain too....try that.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
IMO the firing pin is not resting "against" the primer,it is inside the bolt, and the spring that ejects it from the bolt is not under tension and still seems safer than a safty,we are after all human and forgetting is part of our make up as well as being naive.
Look at park brakes, everyone has seen or done the classic jump out of the car and get back in and release the brake to find out it was not set to begin with. Just about every trucker I know has gotten out of their truck and back in and go to release the air brakes and realized they never pulled the button before they got out. Safeties can be the same way,think they are on and they are not.
All I am saying is that no animal is worth any ones life and I do not take the chance. I live to hunt and my hunting would be over if I ever shot someone. Many a person is living with the guilt of doing just that(accidentally of course,intentionally is a whole different thing) and I do not want to be one of them.

Try this - remove the bolt from your rifle. Twist the back so that the bolt is uncocked (I'm assuming a cock on opening action). Look at the firing pin protruding through the firing pin hole. Press against it with your finger. Does it move back in to the hole? If not, then the firing pin is resting on the primer when you have a cartridge in the chamber and the bolt uncocked. That's MUCH worse than carrying hot with the safety on.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The only thing worse than carrying hot, is carrying one like described above, with the firing pin resting on the primer.

Can't think of a single bolt action that doesn't rest the firing pin on the primer in that scenario.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
... and the spring that ejects it from the bolt is not under tension ...

It most certainly is under tension, even when uncocked the firing pin spring in a bolt action rifle is under considerable tension.

It's holding the firing pin tight up against the primer in that cartridge that you have chambered, which you unfortunately think is safe because the action is not cocked....

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
i think you should so that you would be prepared to blow your brains out if this thread keeps going much longer....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Damn, where's Liar24 to set us straight on the rifle engineering questions?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
probably in SC picking up anther Winchester

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
CLB---
Again....not trying to pick on you. You were at the right place at the wrong time.....I still say that a safety is a mechanical device. They can fail....
How many people have been carrying hot with the gun on safe, walking thru whatever thick stuff and looked down and found that the gun was no longer on safe??????? Once was enuff for me. A little practice is all it takes to shuck one as your rifle is being shouldered to be fast and safe!!!!

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No one seems to have brought up the point that no matter whether you carry "hot" or empty, you should KEEP YOU FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT!!! ALSO, practice pointing the rifle in a safe direction at all times when you're carrying it. It only takes a little practice and then the safety becomes somewhat redundant.

One year, in deer camp, one Rambo was waving his rifle around and someone told him not to point it at him. "Oh, it's okay. I've got the safety on." He was taken to school in short order and not invited back next year.

Aim for the exit hole.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by CLB
It's rare when I have an empty chamber while I'm hunting.....the little thingy on the side is called a safety!

Chris

There is a little thingy in your head called a brain too....try that.

Tzone,

I can use my brain well thanks! There is no point in bantering this with you. I never fully rely on the safety, but it is there for a reason and in 30 years, I have never had a problem with any malfunctions. One can hunt safely with a round in the chamber and does not make someone irresponsible.

Last edited by CLB; 10/07/09.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by triggerguard1
Damn, where's Liar24 to set us straight on the rifle engineering questions?

Matt,

Now this is something I would like to see also.

Chris

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by GeorgeS3
CLB---
Again....not trying to pick on you. You were at the right place at the wrong time.....I still say that a safety is a mechanical device. They can fail....
How many people have been carrying hot with the gun on safe, walking thru whatever thick stuff and looked down and found that the gun was no longer on safe??????? Once was enuff for me. A little practice is all it takes to shuck one as your rifle is being shouldered to be fast and safe!!!!

George

You have made a couple good points George.

Chris

Page 36 of 66 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 51 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,917
Posts18,518,756
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.