Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 30 31
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I will never buy another new Remington product.

How anyone can take great designs like the 870 pump shotgun and the 700 bolt action rifle and screw them up as much as Remington is doing now is beyond my comprehension.

I quit buying new 700 rifles right before the J-lock design came out. I prefer to buy an older used 700, re barrel, and re stock it if necessary. I get a better quality semi-custom rifle at the same price range as I would have to pay for a new off the shelf rifle.

For a while I was thinking maybe I'm just growing persnickety in my old age.

Last year, I decided to start hunting waterfowl again. Since I had given my 12 gauge 870 to my oldest son, I was in need of a new pump shotgun. I bought a new 870 Express with the plastic stock. The gun looked like a good one to drag out to a duck blind and it did not have that cussed J-lock on it.

I shot a few clays and a box of AA's through it before the season opened. The action seamed very stiff to me and the gun did not clear the fired shells. It acted just like it had one of those shell catchers that trap shooters use. When I took the gun apart I found two places on the ejection port that had serious "burrs" left from the machining. I say they were burrs, but they were actually very sharp projections. One was nearly 1/4 inch long and was catching on each fired hull. I took some needle files and corrected that problem. While I was at it, I worked the action and smoothed it up considerably. Now the gun is shooting like it should and I was happy again.

So what am I bitching for?

Because I just took out my 1960's era 20 gauge 870 and shot it. And I took a real close look at the last new 700 BDL I bought in 1985. And I realized I have never needed to turn a screw on either gun. The earlier guns were smooth and functioned perfectly right out of the box. No DIY gun smithing necessary to make those guns work.

So I know that I have not grown persnickety. Rather, the idiots at Remington have succeeded in taking perfectly designed, time tested, simple to build actions such as the 870 pump shotgun and the 700 bolt action rifle and screwed up the manufacturing process to a point of dis-belief.

Thank goodness there are plenty of used 870 and 700 guns that actually work available, because I will not purchase another new item bearing the word Remington.

OK, I done bitchin' now. smirk

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
It ain't just Remington, and it ain't just in the gun industry.....

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's the reason:

Do more with less. Experience, pride and work ethic are expensive.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I think the writer's said it best. More new guns are being made for people who already have the old tried and true. Less of the general public is buying new rifles therefore the gun companies have to cook up something more razzle-dazzlier than what the competition has, to get you to try just one more. Or make a cheaper (low end) product for those who want the brand but can't yet afford the real deal (which they may have to inherit or buy used at a gun show).

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Its because Swampman700 got a job there and Lee24's cnc machines are running the show.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Remington is owned by the same investment banking firm which owns things like Chrysler. Does that help explain things?

And Tom264, Remington doesn't, to my knowledge, use any of my CNC technology. They do use a chemical vapor deposition machine which I helped design to apply their "TriNyte" finish to the XCR rifles.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Hahahahah! right!

"I I I I ME ME ME ME" blah blah blah!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildswalker
It ain't just Remington, and it ain't just in the gun industry.....

Sad but too true.

Perhaps the most concise way to state it is, colleges produced students with MBA's and taught them that the key to effectively running a business was profitability (cost cutting), and they key to success in your career is to make your group profitable in 2 years, then get promoted or hired on to another company based on your "success"

Somehow the concept that understanding what product your company produces, how it produces that product and producing quality products is the key to making a successful business was never taught.

I've seen that going on for the past 20 years. I suppose a dumbed down consumer who just cares about getting as much cheap stuff as possible hasn't helped either.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Lee24

And Tom264, Remington doesn't, to my knowledge, use any of my CNC technology. They do use a chemical vapor deposition machine which I helped design to apply their "TriNyte" finish to the XCR rifles.

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
aint nothing built like it used to be but the sps is pretty good bargain for 500 dollars

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think it is. I'd much rather have a older used ADL for $350. It would have a nicer polish and blue finish, a decent wood stock, and it would work without a trip to the shop.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
id agree but its still better than on of them 710s,atrs,variuos chepos

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington is owned by the same investment banking firm which owns things like Chrysler. Does that help explain things?

Can you show us a picture of it....????

Along with your new Winchester....????

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
i bought a couple of cdls last year im well pleased with them for a nicer gun you would have to pay alot more money but they could take their time and put a little more in them they dont compare to the couple of bdls i got from the 80s or even the old adl or two

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I bought a new 870 Express with the plastic stock.

Never buy the Express model of anything Reminton. The Wingmaster 870 lineup is where its still at.
[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I bought a new 870 Express with the plastic stock.

Never buy the Express model of anything Reminton. The Wingmaster 870 lineup is where its still at.
[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

I agree. I do have some express 870s that are tough as nails, but the Wingmaster is hard to beat.

I haven't had any issues with the 700s in the last 10 years. I've probably purchased at least 10 Remingtons since 2000 and none have given me any trouble. Every 700 I've ever purchased has shot less than MOA with handloads. Matter of fact, all of the later model 700s I've custom loaded for shot less than MOA as well. I own quite a few different makes and models of guns, Remington is still one of my favorites.

Good friend of mine bought a new 700 two weeks ago, sub moa with factory loads.....

Have a Good One,

loder

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive had good luck with Remington 700s too,and their Model Sevens..
Gotta say I don't care for the new pad on the CDLs...really cheesy looking....but thats just MHO...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
im glad somebody else noticed that pad its nice on magnums they need to leave that thing off the smaller calibers for sure my 260 cdl has one of them inch and half rubber spongeson it it scratches real easy the gun doesnt need much of a recoil pad it shoots sweet its probly my favorite late model gu

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had good luck with my M700s and 870s.
I did have an issue with the floor plate spring on an M700 short-action varminter.
Never did get that totally sorted out.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
They do use a chemical vapor deposition machine which I helped design to apply their "TriNyte" finish to the XCR rifles.

YGTBFSM

If true (which I HIGHLY doubt) the problem with Remington is.......they hired Lee24.

RH

Last edited by himmelrr; 10/08/09.
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,930
Posts18,518,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.