-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then the fact that the APO's and the next wave of HG's will be made in Germany will really confuse those of closed minds

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doug,
did the guy you spoke to mention any new big eyes?

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm sure they are super glass. Just wish the 8.5 power didn't have such a narrow FOV like the regular HG's.

Doesn't bother some people I know, but I like a wide FOV for the respective power.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Usually a wide FOV is obtained at the expense of eye relief and eye box. No thanks, particularly for binoculars. Most over rated feature in optics. E

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't think FOV is as big of a deal in scopes since I'm using the scope to aim at something I've already found. But I find a bino with a big FOV more relaxing to use when I'm looking for things. That's part of what attracted me to the Meopta I bought over similarly priced competition.

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Never noticed anything more relaxing about more FOV. What does it for me is more weight, or a tripod like device to hold the glass still. I understand a larger exit pupil also can give this effect. Haven't seen that either. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing to speak about yet

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Minox as alpha glass, competing with the Big 3?........let the Minox non-alpha glass bashing begin.

Minox is a Euro company JG. Minox has been around in Germany for over 70 years and started in 1936 as a camera firm. They been producing top flight Euro made bins for decades and were partnered with Leica for some time before they split in 2001. I'm sure this is why Terry Moore is such a good fit for them.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Correct me if I am wrong, but a smaller fov means a sharper fov to the glass edges.

I'll would rather sacrifce more ft. for more sharp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Euro company indeed, however I think they are assembled in China or Japan. For that reason most people bash Minox.
Fact is most people are affraid of something new that comes from Europe. Minox is a fine glass and I own a few pieces.
If they are getting new and better, they just might make the big 3 think again about what they are putting out.
Hopefully Zeiss will reinvent the 15x60's.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Enrique
Euro company indeed, however I think they are assembled in China or Japan. For that reason most people bash Minox.
Fact is most people are affraid of something new that comes from Europe. Minox is a fine glass and I own a few pieces.
If they are getting new and better, they just might make the big 3 think again about what they are putting out.

Kique

All of the early Minox were assembled in Germany and the HG line is and has alway been assembled there. Yes their lower stuff is assembled in China. My guess is when they split with Leica it was the only way to stay afloat and competitive? Just a guess on my part though? Their HG as you know are very good and deserve the recognition they get!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Correct me if I am wrong, but a smaller fov means a sharper fov to the glass edges.

I'll would rather sacrifce more ft. for more sharp.

It isn't a one-to-one relationship. Other design considerations in play can mean two binos with identical FOV, magnification, et cetera don't necessarily have the same size "sweet spot" or sharpness to the edges.

That's another reason why I went with Meopta. Within their price class not only did they have an outstanding FOV but competitors with similar FOV did not have as large of a sweet spot. To beat the combination of FOV and sharpness I would have had to go to an "alpha" brand and spend a lot more money.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Enrique

Kique

Kique, Have you ever turned your big Minox towards the Burro Mountains in western NM?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by Brucie
Hey Doug,,, How about a pair for review??????

crazy crazy crazy

Originally Posted by RDFinn
If you wait long enough, someone will review it without ever even looking through them.

Originally Posted by Eremicus
Usually a wide FOV is obtained at the expense of eye relief and eye box. No thanks, particularly for binoculars. Most over rated feature in optics. E

And there you have it. The eye relief for the APO is 18mm which is longer than say a Leica Ultravid HD. Of course that doesn't tell us any more than we know right now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never have.
I love the 13x56's I have and love my 15x56 Swaro's, but I miss the old 15x60's. If anyone (Minox, Ziess, Leica or Swaro) made a true 15x60 I would switch to them in a heart beat.
In any event I will forever back Minox as a great bin. Every pair I have owned has done me right. Every pair has also cost me way less than any i have bought of the big three and given me close to, the same or better than the big three.

Enrique O. Ramirez

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Eremicus

Pretty strong staement for nothing more than personal opinion.

In riflescopes I agree, FOV is over rated, in binoculars I disagree completely.

But thats what "I" prefer, to each his own, thats why they have both. I have 8x bins with a 330' FOV and I have 8x bins with a 400' FOV, I much prefer the wider FOV.

But I don't expect everyone to feel the same just because I do.

Bill

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CZDiesel
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Minox as alpha glass, competing with the Big 3?........let the Minox non-alpha glass bashing begin.

Minox is a Euro company JG. Minox has been around in Germany for over 70 years and started in 1936 as a camera firm. They been producing top flight Euro made bins for decades and were partnered with Leica for some time before they split in 2001. I'm sure this is why Terry Moore is such a good fit for them.

So in your opinion does a Germany based company automatically qualify as alpha glass no matter what?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
HG APO vs non APO models. What do get for $1000? Jump off the page difference or too subtle to tell?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm gonna bet about the same you get by jumping from a Conquest to a Victory.

Not very freakin' much, but some......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RiverOtter
I'm gonna bet about the same you get by jumping from a Conquest to a Victory.

Not very freakin' much, but some......
good point

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, AlanF, 12 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 815 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,663
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.