Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 66 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 65 66
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
This topic is being discussed in a couple of other forums i say each to his on someone wants to hunt with a cold chamber its there business and yes it is safer
I choose to hunt with a round in the chamber i hunt by myself sometimes i take my nephew he does not even carry a gun he is t0 young ill leave it out then
Iam also a hunter safety instructor and i dont teach people to hunt with a empty chamber i teach them how to handle a gun as if it were loaded at all times

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry a round chambered,bedded mature whitetail bucks don't put up with giving you a chance to chamber a round. I don't know anyone personally that walks around with a empty chamber.What I do not agree with is guys that have a chambered round in their vehicle thats a no go for me..If you practice good muzzle control and have reasonable experience it is very safe.

1 and done
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jcdixon77

Iam also a hunter safety instructor and i dont teach people to hunt with a empty chamber i teach them how to handle a gun as if it were loaded at all times

Mr. jcdixon77;
First off I'd like to send you a tip of the hat for being an instructor, thank you for your time teaching the next generation.

To clarify a point, I don�t teach the students how they should carry either, as it is a topic that all the instructors where I teach can�t agree on! grin

What I meant to say and should have been more clear on it, was that I teach them the inherent danger of carrying a rifle or shotgun with a chambered round in the �uncocked� condition where it would have the firing pin resting on the primer.

Indeed we try to instill the thought that every firearm they handle should be treated as loaded, which sounds like the same thing you folks do as well.

Thanks again and good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Id agree 100 %
Dwayne uncocked chabered round is about as dangerous as a combination as someone could come up with Im glad i read this though I have never mentioned it in class i guess I took it for granted a person would not do. Going to make a note of it .

Good luck on your future hunts as well we don't get started with rifle season here for another 5 or 6 weeks
Clark

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I dont know anyone thats hunts with a cold chamber. When I head for the woods I chamber a round always have always will.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's an Oregon thing

Dude, you're killing me. Can't argue with facts. cry

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have hunted with many claiming perfect muzzle control. I have never seen an example...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i've never seen an animal stop to say, "hey bonehead, ya gonna chamber a round so you can shoot me".....

there's always a round in the chamber, and safety on. i hope if something should happen to tug on the trigger while moving thru the woods it works at that point in time.

toys around the house also always have a round in the pipe.
i have no children, and wife knows they are loaded and knows how to use em......

pity the bump in the night......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
new mexico hunting...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I won't sit here and argue the fact that hot is as safe as cold, but if you have ever tracked deer in the sands of NM you would hunt HOT or go home empty handed.I also understand many will reply they would rather go home empty handed.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hunt by myself and hunt hot.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Lots of talk about what won't work but has never been tried.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Different hunting areas and strategies require different techniques,i'm not saying cold isn't an option most of the time but there are times when it is not.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hunt with a round in the chamber safety on. I keep and arrow knocked in my bow when I hunt. I carry a round in the chamber when I CCW (always). I carry a gun a work everyday with a round chambered. Why wouldn't you? If you are practicing safe firearms handling its not an issue.

Last edited by Stemshot; 10/08/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I have hunted with many claiming perfect muzzle control. I have never seen an example...

Must be an Alaska problem. I concur.

(I gotta admit though, I don't really understand why a normally hot chamber hunter would unload for vehicle travel if it isn't illegal, yet most seem to think that is a good idea.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if someone is that worried about there ability to handle a firearm, they have no business touching it at all.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You seem to be genuinely ignorant in your failure to grasp the level of risk which many folks in Alaska face in their daily lives. I dare say it is probably higher in so many ways than

If I was a worried person, Alaska would hardly be a suitable place to live, especially not rural Alaska. That doesn't mean I become cavalier about potentially dangerous things over which I do have some control. In fact, it is precisely those things over which one has control which separates the fools from the rest.

It is not the ability to handle a firearm - or not- which is a concern; it is the fact that one simply has to accept the fact that things will happen which are beyond one's control which can compromise the safe handling of a weapon. And I'm sure Alaska does not have a singular lock on that problem.

One accepts risk with many things. That is never more true in the US than when living in Alaska. But accepting some risk and daring the odds are two different things entirely.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First of all i wasn't talking about Alaska. and yeah there are risks with everything, it just depends on which idiots behind the wheel.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of which... I hope the cold-chamber risk managers don't speed on their way to hunting camps this year. smile No mud tires, either. Or jacked-up rigs. Damn things are a hazard to everyone on the road.

And no bacon, either. Take that baby aspirin...

The blacktail buck I cut up today wouldn't have died that evening if I'd been sitting there "cold". At least not for me. One of you real sourdoughs might have pulled it off, though that doesn't put meat in MY freezer.... wink

Muzzle discipline is the key... It's all just a question of degree, anyway. EVERYONE unchambers if things get wierd enough- climbing a cliff or whatever. Or at least they should.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Akin to wearing your seat belt only when it's raining.

I continually read "Muzzle control" and that's the whole ever loving point, one never has 100% control.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 38 of 66 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 22250rem, 2500HD, 1badf350, 47 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,691
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.