Hop To
Page 39 of 66 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 65 66
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Here is a good example:

Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
show up in the strangest places. Anyone ever had one of your rifles load itself after years of sitting in the back of the rack?

I never keep any loaded weapons around except for one shotgun and one handgun in the house. But today, while showing my nephew a few candidates for his new deer rifle, he racked the bolt a couple of times on a .270 and out flies a shell. Now, it wasn't in the chamber before he worked the bolt a few times and there was no real danger because safe gun handling was being practiced, but I was a little shaken, then mad at myself.

I honestly don't know the last time that rifle was used and I really don't know how it was loaded. Well...I guess I know I left it with a few in the magazine but I don't know why or how.

So, I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I'll reiterate the old axiom to treat every gun as if it is loaded because it just may be.

I think the above points to the problem that many have. I'm safe. Notice the bold, no real danger because safe gun handling was being practiced.

Just how the [bleep] is A) Giving a kid a gun without checking that it's loaded B) Handing over a rifle without the action open C)Having the kid verify all considered safe gun practicing.

Course lots of folks said 'Good reminder'. If nothing else, agreeing with JO should give folks pause, but I'm sure lots of you ALWAYS practice safe gun handling.

Last edited by Steelhead; 10/09/09.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hot, from the minute I'm out of my Polaris Ranger until I'm back in the Ranger.....unloaded when traveling.

I keep gas in my truck when not in use. And, I don't smoke.

I like fried chicken, women and brown whiskey......

All American

All the time
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If your hunting game that stands there and lets you clank a round into the chamber, you must be on a farm....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you'd stop missing wink they wouldn't learn what the "clanking" and thunking was all about. Somebody must be educating all these animals which flee at the mere hint of an ill-intentioned thought. grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've changed my view on the hot/cold carry over the past several years. I don't think I was ever "unsafe", but a bullet can never be called back.

In the truck, on the atv, I don't even have one in the mag.

Walking in/out/still hunting I've got the mag loaded but empty chamber. Once I'm in the stand one goes in the chamber. If I'm on the ground, once I spot game, one goes in the chamber.

Safety is always on until I'm set to send a bullet on the way.

Muzzle control/safe handling should be a given, but I know I've only got control over so many things....

Last year a friend and I were going to call 'yotes. My rifle was unloaded (mag and chamber). We were still at the truck, getting our "stuff" out. Just as I moved my rifle from one side of my body to the other with the muzzle pointed up and away from him (and anything else except blue sky) he stepped up and across passing the side of his head right in front of the muzzle. The rifle was unloaded and I did all I could to safely handle the rifle, but it still bothers me that my rifle was pointed at someone for a split second. He didn't even notice but was very appreciative of my apology....

The more things I see, the more I'm aware of how little control I have at times, and the more seriously I take the things I do have control over.

JCM

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm just happy for all the posters who obviously have never fallen flat on their face on top of their muzzle, or seen their whole rifle go in a direction that was completely unplanned, due the crap they were walking on shifting or breaking. I've taken some nasty falls just to keep my rifle sighted in...if you get my drift.

I had to smile when I read the part about the guy in this or another thread who always carries his rifle at port arms and has his hands and fingers just so. Good for him that he doesn't hunt in anything thicker than he does. Personally, I have to use my hands to keep from getting my eyes poked out, or to keep myself upright by hanging onto things. A rifle safety doesn't know if it's your finger or a stick pushing it off.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
You seem to be genuinely ignorant in your failure to grasp the level of risk which many folks in Alaska face in their daily lives. I dare say it is probably higher in so many ways than

If I was a worried person, Alaska would hardly be a suitable place to live, especially not rural Alaska. That doesn't mean I become cavalier about potentially dangerous things over which I do have some control. In fact, it is precisely those things over which one has control which separates the fools from the rest.

It is not the ability to handle a firearm - or not- which is a concern; it is the fact that one simply has to accept the fact that things will happen which are beyond one's control which can compromise the safe handling of a weapon. And I'm sure Alaska does not have a singular lock on that problem.

One accepts risk with many things. That is never more true in the US than when living in Alaska. But accepting some risk and daring the odds are two different things entirely.

Good post Klik. If I may, I'd like to add to it.

Statistically, the chances of an accidental discharge or a negligent discharge (which IMO a lot of ADs really are) are low. The problem is that if or when it occurs, the consequences are too great.

Last edited by ironbender; 10/09/09.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm just happy for all the posters who obviously have never fallen flat on their face ...

If one were so inclined to reread this entire mess, there is at least one poster that actually, and unbelievably claims to NEVER have slipped, tripped, or fallen in 50 some years of combat and hunting.
Not freakin once!

So, it's possible........

or not.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
If your hunting game that stands there and lets you clank a round into the chamber, you must be on a farm....

Over 20 years of hunting Colorado big game carrying both hot and cold, never lost an animal I can think of because the chamber was empty and never hunted anything but free-ranging, wild animals.

Comments like yours show a definite lack of experience.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would a constitutional ammendment to never carry hot make you cold carriers feel better/safer?

Run it by your dim leader......

All American

All the time
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first time this topic came up years ago I went out and practiced dry firing on some deer. I could get off sometimes dozons of fake shots on bucks or does before they would walk or run off. These where all public land blacktail and mule deer. And I've killed plenty of big game on the run while packing a hot chamber.

If you want to live dangerously be the lead guy on a raid into a building. You're as likely to get shot by the "professional" behind you as the bad guy shooting at you front.

Having a ND on family or friends is not something I want to experience in my life.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BlueDuck

Not everybody hunts by charging through the woods taking ass shots at whatever jumps up...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sure none of the cold chamber gents carry a revolver...right?
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wahoo
I'm sure none of the cold chamber gents carry a revolver...right?
Bill

Can't speak for the others, but on occasion I carry a revolver. I sometimes carry an autoloader, too, although concealed and not hunting. In both cases my preferred method is with an empty chamber. In the revolver that means the one under the hammer.

Of course when I carry concealed with an empty chamber I'm not going into places where I'm likely to be in harm's way. I try to stay away from places like that.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stan V
Would a constitutional ammendment to never carry hot make you cold carriers feel better/safer?

Run it by your dim leader......

If you are referring to Obama, he is the President pro tem, but he is not my �leader�. I actually don�t know of any of his stated opinions I agree with.

And no, neither a Constitutional Amendment nor any other law would make me feel better or safer. I carry both ways depending on circumstances and don�t relish the idea of more government intrusion.

Carry the way you like, I�ll carry the way I like, when I like.

I think most of the cold carry people feel the same way. Further I think we are all amused at the way some hot carry proponents obviously feel threatened that some folks come to a different conclusion than they do regarding method of carry. We regularly get accused of being too stupid to handle a firearm safely when cold carry is undeniably the SAFEST way to carry when it comes to Accidental Discharges.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could care less how anyone carries their rifle when hunting if they are alone.....I find it hilarious that we've become such a nanny state that some feel the need to press upon their comrades in arms how a rifle should be handled while hunting.

Get over yourselves. Frankly, those that protest the most probably shouldn't risk ever loading a rifle, handle an auto loader, or drink a beer and drive within 2 hours.

It's OK to swim after you've eaten, it's only an old wives tale that you'll drown if you swim within 30 minutes of eating.

All American

All the time
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

When I entered a building I wanted the guys behind me to be loaded hot and the safety off. I trust the men behind me alot more than what may be on the otherside of the door I'm kicking in. I see you have a military avatar that mentions sniper. How many doors does a sniper kick open a day compared the a regular infanrtyman on patrol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you for your service!!

All American

All the time
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
First of all to JeffO: Thanks for starting this thread 2 years ago, because the response from people that I know who have considerable experience have caused me to rethink how I go about this. For 51 years I carried with one in the chamber and thought that was the way it was done. The comments of some I have come to respect on the fire has changed the way I do things. Even when I carried hot, I hunted as safely as I could and often reminded myself an animal-big or little-is not worth the regret I would have if something went wrong.

A while back I related an incident I had crossing a stream that was no more than 2 feet wide. I made one jump and with hands wet from rain the shotgun slipped and hit the ground. I caught the barrels pointing at my chest. Said that was dumb and went on. In my mind I kept hearing this sound and the longer I went I knew it was the hammers falling. Opened the action and out ejected 2 shotgun shells. Bill Ruger saved my life with his hammer blocks on the Ruger O/U. Stupid on my part, but I've hunted with many safe hunters that would have taken that same two foot level leap without unloading.

I have taken many other falls with both shotgun and rifle. If you hunt you can guarantee it will happen sometime/somewhere, level ground or difficult, it's just a matter of time. Usually you will get away with it, but again it's just a matter of time until you don't.

Cold from now on with a rifle and action open with a shotgun. Admittedly shells in the chamber with action open in an 0/U or laying on the lifter if a pump. Safety on at all times.

Again thanks Jeff and thanks to those who explained why I should change.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you.

Page 39 of 66 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,930
Posts18,518,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.