Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
{any of his verbage will suffice}

Originally Posted by wildswalker
You don't get it.....

Perfect.

Yawn.

Funny how when confronted by rational and effective disagreement

ONLY in your limited cerebral function is it possible to make that "reasoning".....we can clearly see what led you to that Obama vote.

You still don't, and likely never will...get it.

Can't blame us tho' for your shortcomings, you've been led to water sooooo many times, on soooo many things.

[Linked Image]
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Went back and looked.

I was mis-remembering. It's more like pushing 80/20 percent, hot to cold carry while hunting.

BOY that 20+ percent are some noisy bastids! smile Comes with knowing it all, I suppose.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
{any of his verbage will suffice}

You don't get it.....

Perfect.

Yawn.

Funny how when confronted by rational and effective disagreement

ONLY in your limited cerebral function is it possible to make that "reasoning".....we can clearly see what led you to that Obama vote.

You still don't, and likely never will...get it.

Can't blame us tho' for your shortcomings, you've been led to water sooooo many times, on soooo many things.

Actually, wildswalker, I thought your posts on this subject in the last couple days were excellent. Well thought out, and well said. This is the epitome of a debateable topic. There's truth on both sides. Don't think there's any reason for me to insult you, nor for you to insult me.

You call it being led to water, but I call it reasonable men disagreeing. I simply don't agree that "hot" hunters should stay out of the woods. Nor do I agree that a .223 is the equal of say a 30-06 as a general-purpose deer rifle... etc. See, you and your friends are not RIGHT on those issues; so why would I let myself be led to that water? What happens, though, is that when someone disagrees with you guys, you take it very personally.

While searching back for when I totaled up the percentage of who hunts how, I read some stuff from in the middle of this thread. There's some good, reasonable, debate happening there. I suggest we move back in that direction, but, it's not really up to me.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
You fall quite short of that high road you think you are on, and flattery gets you nowhere.

But, whatever.......

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Guys handle guns carelessly when they "know" them to be empty. Not saying that anyone present is a bad gun handler; to the contrary, I suspect everyone here is a very GOOD gun handler.

You just said one thing, then you said something very different. If everyone here is indeed a good gun handler as you say, the your first quoted sentence makes no sense. The folks I know do not handle guns any differently whether the chamber is hot or not. And I don't expect any less of them or of myself. In fact, I won't be around anyone who handles a gun less carefully when it is empty than when it is hot. The rules are rules and no government dictum will change the fact that their compliance for safety reasons is voluntary. People who are willing to treat an unloaded gun differently are people who are almost certainly going to end up doing two things; they will at times also treat a loaded gun just a bit less carefully, and they will eventually discover that their "unloaded" gun isn't- perhaps even making the discovery when the "unloaded" gun discharges.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Went back and looked.

I was mis-remembering. It's more like pushing 80/20 percent, hot to cold carry while hunting.

BOY that 20+ percent are some noisy bastids! smile Comes with knowing it all, I suppose.

soo.. I'm waiting for an "opps I did it again" thread about your latest deer..

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Guys handle guns carelessly when they "know" them to be empty. Not saying that anyone present is a bad gun handler; to the contrary, I suspect everyone here is a very GOOD gun handler.

You just said one thing, then you said something very different. If everyone here is indeed a good gun handler as you say, the your first quoted sentence makes no sense. The folks I know do not handle guns any differently whether the chamber is hot or not. And I don't expect any less of them or of myself. In fact, I won't be around anyone who handles a gun less carefully when it is empty than when it is hot. The rules are rules and no government dictum will change the fact that their compliance for safety reasons is voluntary. People who are willing to treat an unloaded gun differently are people who are almost certainly going to end up doing two things; they will at times also treat a loaded gun just a bit less carefully, and they will eventually discover that their "unloaded" gun isn't- perhaps even making the discovery when the "unloaded" gun discharges.

Klik,

But, go into a gun shop and observe gun handling from the general public when they "know it's empty". It's horrendous.

My point is that that mentality would flow out into the woods.

I was exempting present company because, at least to hear them tell it, they handle guns with exemplary skill and I ain't calling anyone a liar here.

Hunting cold would cost me deer and elk, and for no good reason. That pretty much sums it up, for me. In different circumstances, different quarry, different terrain, who knows. I've run "cold" before and I'll do it again when circumstances warrant. But for the bulk of the hunting I do- hot.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Your post's remind me of my ex-wife's e-mails.

She has a vagina BTW.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

But, go into a gun shop and observe gun handling from the general public when they "know it's empty". It's horrendous.

My point is that that mentality would flow out into the woods.

Too late. But one thing is certain � if those people were handling cold firearms no one would get hurt regardless of their idiocy or negligence.

Maybe that�s one reason gun shops don�t hand out loaded weapons...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender
You make the "cold" case very well. Thanks.

The guys in the gun shop are not mishandling the rifles because they know them to be safe - that's standard practice for those guys.

Nobody is talking about cold chamber mandates - you sound like an Obama democrat...........oh, wait.

It's not to say that someone with a hot chamber cannot handle safely, they certainly can, and mostly do. It's the part that cannot be controlled that is the point.

Also, lotsa really bad analogies made from pistols to shotguns to golf to driving. Here's one for you:

Odds are one of your precious children could run across I-5* in the dark and not get hurt. Would you let them anyway?

*Pick your closest interstate - if ya have one.

Lot of emotion flying around. Not sure why folks deem that necessary.

First, you made MY point very concisely. Guys handle guns carelessly when they "know" them to be empty. Not saying that anyone present is a bad gun handler; to the contrary, I suspect everyone here is a very GOOD gun handler. But we, or at least I, am talking in general terms here. Make it mandatory that everyone carry cold (I say that not because I favor government regulation, but because it's the only way to set up a hypothetical where everyone is carrying cold), and you know as well as I do that there'd be some damn sloppy gun work out there. Why? Because, you see... everyone "knows them to be safe", right?

You are wrong about my driving analogy. It's actually a very GOOD analogy. Here's why. The core of this debate, hot vs. cold, is safety. The safety of an individual, and those around him. Driving is exactly analagous. It is a statistical truth that less people would die on the highway if we drove 55 mph. Period. So, driving faster is a choice that you and I make (hell, I do anyway) because we want to, and the FACT that it endangers ourselves and those around us, exposes everyone to more risk, is something we are willing to live with for whatever reasons.

I challenge you, bendy-boy, to explain why that is not a superb analogy. Further, if you do drive faster than say 55 mph on the freeway, I'd like hear how you justify endangering yourself and those around you. Thanks in advance.

Lastly, YOUR analogy is fundamentally flawed and thus, meaningless for the discussion at hand. This is a thread about managing risk while doing something you want or need to do. Not about creating risk doing something like running across a freeway. Not applicable. Try harder.

As I've said before, there's a continuum here, a scale. I unload (unchamber) a rifle all the time, and I've carried "cold" when it seemed reasonable or prudent. When I'm hunting alone, which is most of the time, out in the big woods, I hunt hot and in my opinion that's perfectly safe and reasonable. I'm not in this life to be some puzzy-ass risk avoiding freak (not saying anyone here is). I'll drive 75 on the highway... I'll drink too much... I'll play my guitar too loud... that's just how it is for me.

I'll say again, the deer I killed a few days ago wouldn't have died that night if I'd been hunting "cold". Maybe one of you bad-asses would have gotten him that way; I'll concede that (though I doubt it rather strongly). But that doesn't fill MY freezer.

Some of us are hunting elk and deer with tags in the 10%, 15% success rate range. A guy made a comment earlier about how "the meat always seems to come down the mountain". With all due respect, it ain't like that in some places. Guys go years and years between Oregon public-land elk, for example. I'm not missing out on one because I handicapped myself by needing to chamber my friggin' rifle just to shoot the bastid.

YMMV, bendy-boy. Oh- better go wipe those counters with the anti-microbe stuff.. and don't forget to wash your hands again! smile Danger lurks everywhere... can't be too careful, bendy-boy.

Now that's what I call posting a load......of crap.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

While searching back for when I totaled up the percentage of who hunts how, I read some stuff from in the middle of this thread. There's some good, reasonable, debate happening there. I suggest we move back in that direction, but, it's not really up to me.

Ok, just promise there will not be any limericks.....

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I hear guys say they chamber a round and take animals say at 30 yrds,I wonder about the game. A mature whitetail here is no way in hell going to let you chamber a round at close range like that. Now maybe a dumb young mulie buck sure that is possible.I can tell by reading post that things vary dramatically across the country.

1 and done
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by highridge1
When I hear guys say they chamber a round and take animals say at 30 yrds,I wonder about the game. A mature whitetail here is no way in hell going to let you chamber a round at close range like that. Now maybe a dumb young mulie buck sure that is possible.I can tell by reading post that things vary dramatically across the country.

This has been my exact experience also. In some instances I can and do hunt "cold". But in general, Hunting "hot" has proved it's advantages and I'm more apt to have one chambered when hunting remote areas.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've done it with whitetails at 40 yards.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did it last year on a Michigan public land whitetail buck at 40yds.....and I was a week into rifle season. Our bucks are pretty damn spooky by then too. I was stillhunting my way through a cedar swamp. I had my share of slips and trips in that mess too. It's only as hard as you make it, and had I not gotten that buck because of the fact that I had to chamber a round first......it would have been OK.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cold till I get to my stand. When still hunting or stalking it is cold until it is time to shoot.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Caught up on this this am. Interesting comments. What do the muzzleloaders do?
Single shot anyone?
Went dove hunting with a friend who brought along a scoutmaster, a real one. What a pain in the ass. We had a system for shooting zones just like all of us work out. Anyway, the scoutmaster had a single shot with an exposed hammer. Said ANYTHING else wasn't safe. Also insisted we not have anything in the chamber 'til a flock of birds appeared.
Biy, that was a great day.
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wondering how the 4 wheeler generation ever gets anything. Noise, movement, fumes and all.

Last edited by battue; 10/10/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 42 of 66 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 22250rem, 2500HD, 1badf350, 47 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,691
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.