-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 43 of 66 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 65 66
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like what we have here....a bunch of scoutmasters. But, we're not 12 year olds.

By any chance did your friend's friend with the scoutmaster ever hunt once in Alaska and slip and fall?

All American

All the time
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Stan V,

You are correct. You win. The poll is for "hunting". Shooting tame deer next to a feeder, out of a elevated blind isn't hunting. Not even close. Hunting requires effort, skill, and being able to outsmart your game. Go ahead with your "hot" rifles. Chances of having an AD while sitting in your blind playing gameboy are slim to none..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pick yourself up, you've fallen down again.

If I'm in Colorado, New Mexico, or West Texas.....I hunt hot and alone. How many internet experts are they that want to ridicule someone for how they hunt? I don't tell you how to drive.

It's laughable!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Shooting tame deer next to a feeder, out of a elevated blind isn't hunting.

Grocery shopping. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin

All American

All the time
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Shooting tame deer next to a feeder, out of a elevated blind isn't hunting.

Grocery shopping. laugh

I wonder how a warden would respond to that. I just love the "holier than thou" folk.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Just giving Stan V a hard time.. I wish I could kill bucks and not have a 2 mile hump back to the rig..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I reckon Sarah has the only pair left in the state.....I love her!

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just giving Stan V a hard time.. I wish I could kill bucks and not have a 2 mile hump back to the rig..

OK, I can deal with a hard time.

Even stand hunting means I have to drag one now and then nearly a hundred yards!! grin

All American

All the time
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
So you see Sarah with a picture of a moose, (omitting the obvious 4 wheeler parked next to it) and suddenly she's got the only "pair" left in the state?

How about this Stan. Buy yourself a plane ticket next Aug and I'll drag your ass up a mountain. Then you can take me "Texas Hunting" We'll compare notes about who has a pair..

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I wish I had all the resources of AK in my backyard. I wish I had the means to spend at least a few weeks in the bush each season. Best o luck this season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prostrate8

I wish I had all the resources of AK in my backyard. I wish I had the means to spend at least a few weeks in the bush each season. Best o luck this season.

I wish we had some of the weather in August!

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So you see Sarah with a picture of a moose, (omitting the obvious 4 wheeler parked next to it) and suddenly she's got the only "pair" left in the state?

How about this Stan. Buy yourself a plane ticket next Aug and I'll drag your ass up a mountain. Then you can take me "Texas Hunting" We'll compare notes about who has a pair..

Was thinking along those lines, but wasn't going to say anything. I figure many folks here - just like some places elsewhere- could probably show a visitor a "good time" which might prove whether said individuals had "a pair" or not. I'm also thinking that many "hot chamber" guys might be cold chamber converts if the were exposed to some of the conditions the "cold chamber" guys call normal, and vise-versa.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I'm also thinking that many "hot chamber" guys might be cold chamber converts if the were exposed to some of the conditions the "cold chamber" guys call normal, and vise-versa.

I think that's a very fair call. As a hot chamber hunter I do find myself unchambering on occasion.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've taken a few hard core Montana hunters who bragged about hauling elk for 5 miles etc... We went up a wimpy hill, on one of he nicer days, and it was a trail of tears up and down..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was also thinking the same when I made the previous comment - seen the same, not that Alaska has a lock on that situation though. (But some folks aren't as hardy as they think; or in my case, as they once were wink - or like to believe they were. grin )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mostly yes but of course circumstances dictate.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Calvin,

Please tell the story again about taking a visiting friend deer hunting, and how he shot a 3x3 and two forkies for the freezer- in an afternoon.

Then, come back and bust balls about how guys in states you've never hunted, hunting low-percentage tags, should be willing to let animals walk due to cold chambers, because there's always another deer... wink Those two stories should juxtapose nicely.

FWIW- in difficult terrain, hunting with someone else, I'd likely carry cold. I think there's a LOT more common ground here than it might seem. But if alone, I'll hunt how I please and I don't appreciate guys saying basically that's a hazard to all the poor little chilluns and whatnot.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Here's to hoping that JeffObama continues to carry hot........................

For all the reasons stated against the same.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Just a FEW random thoughts, if I may....

After reading between the lines on several threads it's easy to see that geography, hunting situations, woodsmanship experience, and likely social demographics (urban/rural), all play a large part in how folks "feel" about this.

Am willing to, and without much real anomosity, venture a guess that most of the adamant hot hunters have never really experienced what makes the cold hunters hunt cold. Can easily figure that once they have they would seriously reconsider.

Also can venture a guess that those who insist on cold carry for the most part, are the ones who have guns in their daily civilian lives for one reason or another, hunt more days than any one man should be allowed to, hunt the places where the normal man would never think of going, and aren't hindered by a life that's made up of more desk time than woods time.

The concept of cold carry was never about whether or not someone is capable of safe carry, it's ALL about making damn sure things don't go wrong and taking premptive control of a situation that could so easily go so wrong. Sort of like an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Sort of like taping a muzzle, or using a bullet that is PROVEN to work.

Am not in tune with what happens in the urban world regarding muzzle control at a gun store, what I do see here in Rural America is a healthy respect for firearms and everyone I've ever seen in a gun store goes out of their way to not foul anyone with a gun barrel. Again probably a geographic and/or social demographic thing.

Can wager a fair bet that those folks who do constantly practice sloppy gun safety and pisspoor muzzle control are stacked heavily with evolutionary misfits, and likely have trouble knowing which way to flip a light switch despite it obviously being dark in the room......they are the precise reason we good drivers are required to purchase auto insurance.

Can't for the life of me know why a round MUST already be in the chamber to make a kill. I've my fair share of close thick cover kills; deer, bear, and turkeys, and the simple fact is that the whole idea is to spot them, and kill them, before they even know you are in the world. Can't see that if a hunter is THAT good to be able to sneak undetected into thick cover a mere 10 yards from a wary deer, and then have the balls to complain he can't effectively chamber round to make the kill at some point in time during his super slow ninja stalk prior to taking the shot. Too much telling contradiction there that doesn't add up.

The only thing that makes sense is the hot hunter in thick cover is stomping that cover and taking jump shots......

Jump shooting animals was never my thang and I can't imagine anyone without time to chamber a round being able to accurately assess the backstop behind the animal before sending their shot. If it's THAT much of a surprise that you MUST have a round chambered then you stand a GOOD chance of missing, and you stand a GOOD chance of hitting something on the other side that you don't see, and don't want to hit. The logic there simply escapes me that on one hand a hot jump shooter insists he is practicing GREAT gun safety with his hot chamber but sooo willing to take a risky shot at a fleeing animal.

Also can't for the life of me understand the noisy action thing so willingly put out there. 1.) if a hunter is actually hunting he's spotted the game with time to covertly chamber a round. 2.) all it takes is some practiced manipulation with ones digits within the system to feed and chamber a round as quiet as a church mouse, hell, my nine year old knows how to do that. I'm sort of a bolt gun snob so maybe we have a leg up in that regard. Could very well be WHY I am a bolt gun snob, to begin with.......

Can't, either, wrap my brain around the "I hunt alone" thing. Bullchit, I had my unwanted discharge while hunting alone and it scared the [bleep] out of me after I thought about it for a while. "What if" goes a long way, and bullets can't be called back once launched.

I live in VA, snow and ice are still a long way off for this year. We have more steep ridges here in SW VA than we do thick bogs. Been raining off and on here since last night. The boy and I went squirrel hunting this morning anyway. Upon deciding to head home I stepped on a wet and very slick stick hidden under the wet leaves with the inside arch of my hunting boot, and on a side hill of a ridge. I ALMOST went for a ride but caught myself before going down. Small and unimportant mishap, but everyone that's ever really hunted places like that knows exactly what that sort of "oh chit" thing is. Doesn't make me, or anyone else, a clutz in the woods. It does make it however an unexpected event that noone really can prepare for. Quick reflexes saved my ass and saved me from falling on my rifle. It could so easily have been a catastrophy tho'........

[Linked Image]
Page 43 of 66 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 49 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,916
Posts18,518,746
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.