Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 44 of 66 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 65 66
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Here's to hoping that JeffObama continues to carry hot........................

Surprised he's carries hot.

Not sure they taught that at the YMCA.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
ouch!! shocked

That was mean...

grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prostrate8
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I'm also thinking that many "hot chamber" guys might be cold chamber converts if the were exposed to some of the conditions the "cold chamber" guys call normal, and vise-versa.

I think that's a very fair call. As a hot chamber hunter I do find myself unchambering on occasion.

so, someone finally admits cold is not always an option?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good comments... Depending on where you are, I grew up in the same area, and, until I started reading this thread, didn't realize that this was a controversial issue.
I may have misunderstood something in your message...do you hunt birds w/o a shell in the chamber? Is there a difference...deer vs birds? Of course, the point you made about no round in the chamber when traversing difficult ground isn't germane, as almost all of us agree there. I don't unload my revolver though, as a holstered gun if pretty safe under any circumstance.
I've only been hunting for 48 years and all of it has been in the southeast.
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I gave up "bird" hunting a long time ago, unless you are talking about turkeys...

Hunt 'em here with a rifle, and cold chamber until I'm set up stationary and in the midst of calling to a responsive bird.

Pretty picky about my shots, backstop, ect.....as it all has to click just right else I don't shoot.

Three this Spring......

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wildswalker,

thank you very much for taking the time to do that assessment of yours. I thouroghly agree with you.

Let me try to take this a step further:

This is an issue of 'being in control'. Of yourself, of your hunt, of your rifle, of the situation. The more you feel apt to handle anything that might suddenly appear, the less you feel the need to 'be prepared' for any sudden appearances.

In the process of gaining that aptitude, one will also have had occasion to apreatiate the safety factor and have learned to balance it against any perceived advantage of the hot chamber.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wildswalker

The only thing that makes sense is the hot hunter in thick cover is stomping that cover and taking jump shots......

Jump shooting animals was never my thang and I can't imagine anyone without time to chamber a round being able to accurately assess the backstop behind the animal before sending their shot. If it's THAT much of a surprise that you MUST have a round chambered then you stand a GOOD chance of missing, and you stand a GOOD chance of hitting something on the other side that you don't see, and don't want to hit. The logic there simply escapes me that on one hand a hot jump shooter insists he is practicing GREAT gun safety with his hot chamber but sooo willing to take a risky shot at a fleeing animal.

Very good piece of work that strikes home with me. I call that going tunnel vision and if truth be told it takes a cool hand to avoid it. The vast majority of us fail miserably.

On the one hand it's a requirement to shoot well and consistently place your shots to the best of you ability, while on the other that one minded concentrated focus, once you decide to shoot is filled with danger. I've told others that when the sights are going to the spot that is my world and all else ceases to exist.

I try to make my judgments before I get there, but when it's over I question just how well I did, and often I come up short. Yes maybe I looked, but couldn't see that guy behind the tree x number of yards away. Then as I make the mount with full concentration on the sights he steps out without me knowing. The more you shoot and hunt the easier it is to go tunnel, because things start running on autopilot.

There is much more going on here than just the question of hunting cold or hot.

As the athletic shoe says: Just do it. In this case that means do whatever it takes for us to be comfortable in knowing we are as safe as humanly possible.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of things well covered that I hadn't thought of before... Why are safeties on guns and what about break open actions. I made another comment which hasn't been covered ...Muzzleloaders?
Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wahoo
A lot of things well covered that I hadn't thought of before... Why are safeties on guns and what about break open actions. I made another comment which hasn't been covered ...Muzzleloaders?
Bill

wahoo,

safeties are not about safety, just a metal form of proof that masses are stupid and not to be trusted.

The analogy for the muzzleloader would be the half cock hammer notch.

Pray tell - you were not going to build a defence of hot chamber hunting on stumbeling around the woods with a primed stuffed and rammed ML, all tippytoed...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
As soon as I exit my vehicle, I chamber a round, and there is one in until I get back in the vehicle.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Calvin,

Please tell the story again about taking a visiting friend deer hunting, and how he shot a 3x3 and two forkies for the freezer- in an afternoon.

Then, come back and bust balls about how guys in states you've never hunted, hunting low-percentage tags, should be willing to let animals walk due to cold chambers, because there's always another deer... wink Those two stories should juxtapose nicely.

FWIW- in difficult terrain, hunting with someone else, I'd likely carry cold. I think there's a LOT more common ground here than it might seem. But if alone, I'll hunt how I please and I don't appreciate guys saying basically that's a hazard to all the poor little chilluns and whatnot.

Not sure what story you want, but are you pissed that some folks kill bucks, that doesn't involve snap ass shots? Buy a plane ticket Jeff O, come to my area and show us how its done!! Laffin..

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Give us, NAHunter, an honest assessment of your typical hunting conditions....

Weather, terrain, the type of hunting you do.

Just curious......

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have read a few posts about people having an accidental discharge while hunting. I'm curious what was the situation that caused your firearm to discharge unintentionally?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I can't explain mine....and that's the disturbing part.

Thought I had the safety "on" as I always did but after the initial shock wore off the safety was definately on "fire", can't remember where/when/how I screwed up.

Thinking it was a twig in that brush that actually pulled the trigger......

I recall staring at that hole in the hillside 5 feet in front of me, and thinking damn that coulda bounced back and I could be bleeding to death right now.

Actually checked myself for holes after that sunk in far enough.

Was one of those bullet proof guys in my 20's.

I didn't make any mistakes, and was never wrong.

Stuff like that couldn't ever happen to me, I knew what I was doing......

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Actually your story points out a pretty good fact.
I'm a firearms instructor. Normally when someone has an AD at the range its normally one thing. They had their finger on the trigger. A few have managed to shoot themselves in the leg while holstering because they had their finger on the trigger.

In the field especially when pushing through thick brush unless you cover the trigger guard with your hand a stick getting in the trigger guards is very possible. Always a chance that the safety gets push off as well depending pon the type/style of firearm.

Definately something to think about.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Cold chamber solves the "problem", and is the point......

I never got to know my Dad's cousin who died from an unwanted discharge long before I was brought into this world.

His name was always Little Billy, and I know where he is buried in the old family plot......

Ironic that even after he died no one in my extended family considered hunting cold chamber, or at least I was never aware of it. I do know that those closest to the event never hunted again. Never really was told the accurate circumstances of his death as it was an event that just didn't get talked about. It was an "accident", he was gone, it was sad, and things happen was about all I ever got.

Dad on the other hand made darn sure I knew all the "safety rules" from the git-go, and I think it was Little Billy's death that made him go above and beyond that call of duty.

It didn't help though, as my unwanted discharge made it all mute.......

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
When I'm still hunting I leave my arrow in the quiver and i don't nock an arrow until the final stalk. If I'm hunting a stand I nock an arrow. Haven't had my bow unexpectedly go off yet. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rogue
Originally Posted by 28lx

Never left Benning served in the Marine Corps nothing against the Army. Been in the sandbox with 1st Battalion 8th Marines and 3rd battalion 8th Marines. Never saw a sniper attached to a platoon and never had a warrior I didnt know behind me when kicking in a door. When that door opens I want a proffesional with the safety off covering the left right and overhead ready to fire.If the man behind you is an idiot that safety being on aint gonna help you. Its a high intensity environment thats why we trade off and take turns kicking in the door. I will take a trained Marine with a hot weopon and safety off over a trained marine safety on anyday your YMMV. What conflicts before Iraq did you kick in alot of doors before becoming a sniper.

Dude, we're in to different worlds. Enjoy yourself.

Thats what I thought.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hunt with a round in the chamber.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you are guiding someone in search of whatever, and you find whatever it is; do you the break open the drilling and chamber? Stumbling around in the woods? Is that necessary? Do you feel that superior? Are you German? If so...Germans have no history that would oblidge to accept advice about the ignorent masses. When bird hunting...hot chamber or not?
Bill

Page 44 of 66 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 57 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,929
Posts18,518,914
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.