Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Absolutely did.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wahoo,

regarding your questions, in order:

when guiding whoever for whatever - it is chamber cold. Hot upon preparing to shoot, after, obviously, having found what we are after.

I do not stumble around any woods.

I pass on any comment on the drilling. I have no use, other than a nostalgic notion for anything of that kind.

I would regard an empty chamber neccessary with a drilling, where a client to use one.

I do feel superior to some, equal to few, and infirior to most.

I am German.

I did not offer any advice.

I do not hunt birds - big game keeps me to busy.

When ready for discussion of hunting practises, safety and such - let me know.

If my language offends - let me know. It is not my mother tongue, so I might slip up. Please consider this, before reaching for psychology and national history to try to put me into the defence.

Admission:

upon rereading posts - I now understand the question about "stumbling around" as a responce to my earlier post.

Apologies.

Last edited by cmg; 10/11/09.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've enjoyed this thread. Hope to do it again in two years.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
JO will be just as stupid then.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You're so predictable. smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem_7

so, someone finally admits cold is not always an option?

When it comes to safety, cold is always an option.

It may also, on occasion, cause an animal to be last that might otherwise have been harvested. In my personal experience that occasion is so rare I've yet to encounter it. I have lost game when I didn't have time to shoulder my weapon.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
CH,

As I've said, the buck I killed last weekend is an example of an animal that wouldn't have been killed if *I* had been hunting hot. That perhaps speaks to MY limitations, though in this case I don't believe so. It just was what it was. Very close, very fast. NOT a jump shot- so don't even go there. Just a deer crossing a small opening in the jungle with me about 10 feet away...

Wildswalker, to your point about how people could be skilled enough to hunt very close to deer and yet not be skilled enough to manipulate the action, you might be misunderstanding me. I'm not claiming great hunting skill here. It just is what it is. I'm sure there were many other deer at 50 yards... 75 yards... 100 yards... 200 yards... etc. But you'd never know it, you cannot see them. So, you either learn how to sit very still in spots that are productive, and/or you learn to still hunt very slowly and carefully, so that you will actually see the bastids. When you do see them, they are usually very close for the reasons described above, and they are a split second or a couple feet away from not being shootable due to vegetation.

A bunch of other Oregon blacktail hunters have said the same thing, but they aren't willing to stay here and get yelled at. But, if you read the whole thread (not advised <g>) you'll see it mentioned repeatadly. Just getting the rifle raised and safety off can blow the whole thing up, and HAS blown it up for me several times, even though I've taken so long to raise a rifle slooooowly that my arms about fall off. It's not a time to be working the action of your rifle with an alert deer 20 yards away, pretending to feed but snapping his head up to look at that strange tree over there...

But again, that's all secondary to the main point which is that it's perfectly reasonable for a person to decide to hunt hot. I drink too much. I drive too fast. I ski like an insane person. I play my guitar too loud. So? Just how pussyfied are we supposed to be here? A guy hunting hot might be increasing his risk slightly, but it's still minute, and still NOTHING compared to the risk he took driving 75 mph to get to deer camp... he could have slowed down to 55 and greatly reduced his chance of dying that week, but you know what? He didn't, because [bleep] it, we are MEN here and we do take risks sometimes.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Laughable.....

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And to all: Have a safe season.

"Th-th-th-that's all folks! ...

I doubt it!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm soooo pussified... You nailed it Jeff! You get that buck on private land again? Do they have shooting hours in Oregon? I'd say that if it's too dark to take a good picture on a neck shot buck at 25ft, then it's too dark to discharge a weapon. But that's just me being a giant vagina and all..

[/quote]

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Maybe this has been mentioned already, but I have always hunted HOT with the safety on. Some don't trust safeties. If the safety is untrust worthy or has been know to fail, that is an unsafe rifle and has no business in the field in the first place. There has been far to many instances hunting in the field that I had absolutely no time to chamber a round and if I had to, it would have been long gone anyway from the racket. Maybe the critters I hunt are more skittish, but there is no way they will stand there while I chamber a round with out bolting out of there like they were struck by lightning. For info, my father who taught me every thing about hunting in the field was a master gunsmith and owned a gunsmith shop in CO called Front Range Gunsmithing and attended the same school (CST) and had the same instructors as Darcy Echols (gun maker). If this was good enough for them, it was most certainly good enough for me.

Some go through life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. Ronald Regan

My Longest shot is my shortest stalk. USMC 83-87
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'm soooo pussified... You nailed it Jeff! You get that buck on private land again? Do they have shooting hours in Oregon? I'd say that if it's too dark to take a good picture on a neck shot buck at 25ft, then it's too dark to discharge a weapon. But that's just me being a giant vagina and all..

I won't contest your "giant vagina" status; if you say so, I believe you. smile

I don't carry a camera. I use my cell phone camera. It has no flash.

It was about 5 minutes before the end of legal light (1/2 hour after sunset). It was, indeed, dark. Not too dark for someone to shoot who has a good scope, has been sitting there over an hour sussing out the situation, has a buck in spear distance, and is basically shooting into a hillside.

I see that you aren't contesting that it was not a shot that could have been made "cold"; you are choosing to just bust balls in every other way you can think of. Duly noted, but it don't win you any debate points.

Wildswalker... how many tags do you get, and if you hunt reasonably hard, how many will you fill, on average?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue
And to all: Have a safe season.

You too, battue. Be safe, and good luck.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SUPERDIESEL1
Maybe this has been mentioned already, but I have always hunted HOT with the safety on. Some don't trust safeties. If the safety is untrust worthy or has been know to fail, that is an unsafe rifle and has no business in the field in the first place. There has been far to many instances hunting in the field that I had absolutely no time to chamber a round and if I had to, it would have been long gone anyway from the racket. Maybe the critters I hunt are more skittish, but there is no way they will stand there while I chamber a round with out bolting out of there like they were struck by lightning. For info, my father who taught me every thing about hunting in the field was a master gunsmith and owned a gunsmith shop in CO called Front Range Gunsmithing and attended the same school (CST) and had the same instructors as Darcy Echols (gun maker). If this was good enough for them, it was most certainly good enough for me.

Obviously, your dad never hunted Alaska and fell down. Country so tough a gun should never be carried hot....where men were men, years ago. Another example of immigration hurting the native population.

(that's a joke! Welcome to the fire and pay attention to what your dad taught you)

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TFF!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Laffin'! smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by Calvin

I won't contest your "giant vagina" status; if you say so, I believe you. smile

I don't carry a camera. I use my cell phone camera. It has no flash.

It was about 5 minutes before the end of legal light (1/2 hour after sunset). It was, indeed, dark. Not too dark for someone to shoot who has a good scope, has been sitting there over an hour sussing out the situation, has a buck in spear distance, and is basically shooting into a hillside.

I see that you aren't contesting that it was not a shot that could have been made "cold"; you are choosing to just bust balls in every other way you can think of. Duly noted, but it don't win you any debate points.

Wildswalker... how many tags do you get, and if you hunt reasonably hard, how many will you fill, on average?

Noticed you dodged the question about it being Private Land..

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

I don't see the relevance, but if I told you, you'd chit yourself.......

[Linked Image]
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Do tell. State and unit, please. It's relevant.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
No it's not, it makes no difference if I get to kill one deer or a thousand....the issue is firearms safety during the act of hunting ONE animal.

Per THAT, you fail..............

[Linked Image]
Page 45 of 66 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 51 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,924
Posts18,518,884
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.