Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 48 of 66 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 65 66
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A car with any empty gas tank is ......a stick.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wahoo

I've asked a couple of cold chamber guys about bird hunting and been told they don't hunt birds. Well you almost always hunt birds with other hunters and I can't see the difference as regards to gun handling. Are shotguns safer somehow, anyway, it's been illuminating. How the other 10% lives so to speak.
Bill

The bird hunting I�ve done is very different from my big game hunting.

First, much of it is done when hunters are spread out in a line with shooting more or less perpendicular to the line, not following one another down a trail. (When we trail to our duck/goose hunting spot we have cold chambers.) Second, much of our bird hunting is done from a stationary position - not much chance of falling when you�re sitting in a blind or laying in a ditch. Third, although I�ve seen an idiot pepper someone else with dove shot 100 yards or so across a watering hole, the pellets didn�t even penetrate the clothing � try that with a rifle. (By the way, I don�t hunt with that particular idiot since that event.)

So, yeah � for me there is quite a bit of difference. And, for what it is worth, I often have an empty chamber when hunting birds. Just takes a split second to chamber one in the 870 and the birds don�t seem to mind.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doves? quail? I still don't see the difference. When I hunt with friends, we don't follow single file like we are on a contact patrol. No over unders or side by sides? Then... bunnies?
Thanks for the reply...I was wondering if anyone else here had a shotgun.
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yes

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stan V
2 things:

1) Few could safely negotiate an East Texas clearcut, we Texans (being much more intelligent than Alaskans, or those that spent the night there) go around clearcuts. Try it, you'll like it.

If you consider that Alaskans tend to use (an) "awl" for making holes in certain things, whereas Texans tend to make holes for their "awl", I'm not so sure that you can make a case for Texans being more intelligent. grin grin

Last edited by Klikitarik; 10/12/09. Reason: forgot smilies

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This thread is still going?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by grizzyallen
i also wish you luck trying to kill a whitetail in central NY at 40yds moving through a hemlock stand or thicket with an unloaded chamber. even if you had the time to chamber a round that deer would be on the next ridge before before you'd have a bead on it.

Simply by reading these sorts of threads one can EASILY sort out the douche bags that cause all the hunting accidents we hear about....

The logic they defend their stupidity with is astoundingly accurate with their results.

Don't think you have a lock on something "thick" in central NY as you are likely speaking with folks here that have BT/DT a time or two. We know you are full of chit because central NY, in all that wide open farm land between 90 and 86, isn't "thicker", and damn sure isn't steeper, than the western end, or the eastern end of the state. Visability where I hunt bear in the west side of the 'Dacks is 5 feet in some places......and yes I killed a bear there.

Killing a deer in the Alleganys of western NY doesn't have anything to do with "luck" for me either, as I have a clue, or two, about it.

NY, last season, cold chamber.....and even without your wishing me luck.

[Linked Image]

Hunted here in NY, my "back yard" at the time, cold chamber....

[Linked Image]

And here....

[Linked Image]

Here too....

[Linked Image]

Managed a LOT of deer when I lived there, like this late season Doe, and with an unprimed muzzleloader of all things....

[Linked Image]

And this one too.....despite what the "experts" are trying to tell me.

[Linked Image]

Yeah tell me more tearful tales about how hard it is to hunt cold chamber in the thick stuff.......

[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/wildswalker/other%20stuff%2007/HPIM2016.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/wildswalker/other%20stuff%2007/HPIM2012.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
How many people think this same thread will get resurrected next year, as opposed to starting a new one that says the same things?
I think both...

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 10/12/09.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Walk around clear cuts, damn Stan, never thought of that.

Really? /S/ off (in case you didn't get it)

We're in clearcuts all the time to recover game (the only time we're in 'em), but we're not hunting if we're picking up animals we've already shot......how many times do you shoot your dead animals?

What kind of boots do you own?

All American

All the time
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
ok dickbag , i didnt realize someone could actually know every hill and valley in all of ny. you dont even know what county or town im referring to. i know what thick is as far as terrain and its not a clover field. if your such an expert with expert picture witness, looks like you gut shot that doe with your cold chamber jackass. your pics really dont impress me either. and where i own land isnt farm country . maybe if you asked you could spare all your chest pounding and time it took to put your trophy portfolio on this page.

Last edited by grizzyallen; 10/12/09.
IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
you'll b e wishing you had a hot chamber after i beat your alaskan ass

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Oh, boots! Let's talk about boots!
I screwed up my left ankle four years in a row wearing corks to keep me from slipping and falling all the time. They really grab in good wood! We have so much wood on or near the ground here that you have to wear corks or you'll spend more time on your ass than on your feet. That was several years ago, but I still have my Currins. I got some rubber corks once, but ended up taking the corks out and putting airbobs on them...not as good but can be worn more places....like where you can actualy walk on the ground all day.
Walk around clearcuts? Great, I'll come back tomorrow and see if you're out yet.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stalked?

if you did in the leaves and snow,i'm impressed....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Oh, boots! Let's talk about boots!
I screwed up my left ankle four years in a row wearing corks to keep me from slipping and falling all the time. They really grab in good wood! We have so much wood on or near the ground here that you have to wear corks or you'll spend more time on your ass than on your feet. That was several years ago, but I still have my Currins. I got some rubber corks once, but ended up taking the corks out and putting airbobs on them...not as good but can be worn more places....like where you can actualy walk on the ground all day.
Walk around clearcuts? Great, I'll come back tomorrow and see if you're out yet.

Actually, we drive around clearcuts. grin

I'm wondering about the boots worn by our campfire friends that are upright challenged when hunting.....I'm wanting to get to the bottom of this falling down syndrome.

All American

All the time
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
His Florida ass. He's from Florida.

You can calm down now. Both wildswalker and SH have plenty of good information regardless of your difference in opinions. Take a breath, agree to disagree and enjoy the site. You might learn something. I know I have.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by grizzyallen
you'll b e wishing you had a hot chamber after i beat your alaskan ass

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
How many people think this same thread will get resurrected next year, as opposed to starting a new one that says the same things?
I think both...

JO already has a launch date marked on his calendar for next year!

Last edited by CLB; 10/12/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Priceless!
I've got to say I'm impressed by the pictures. From the posts, I thought they were older.
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Go figure that grizzly-a-loon can't cipher an exit wound on a quartering toward shot, nor that facts trump his position across the board.

Can't know what central NY county has it all over the 'dacks for rough and thick, but I'm hoping to learn. Grizzly-a-loon, you're welcome to try the Saddles for a spell, but leave the 4-wheeler at home; the trails were done in by your's truly, and the terrain has central NY trumped, handily.

Ditto the same for the Wallingford Pond and Victory State Forest areas of Vermont; and, Amherst, Alleghany, Augusta, Bedford, Nelson, Pulaski, Rockbridge, and Rockingham counties in VA. BT/DT, in those locales (amongst others). You're welcome to try..... Though, comparatively, they ain't even that rough.

Do tell on that hellish central NY county, though.....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
All the game ever bred, isn't worth one man dead.

But I still will hunt with a hot chamber!

Last edited by sweetsues; 10/12/09.

Jimbob
Page 48 of 66 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,937
Posts18,519,017
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.