Hop To
Page 57 of 66 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 65 66
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
This is another favorite

Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
show up in the strangest places. Anyone ever had one of your rifles load itself after years of sitting in the back of the rack?

I never keep any loaded weapons around except for one shotgun and one handgun in the house. But today, while showing my nephew a few candidates for his new deer rifle, he racked the bolt a couple of times on a .270 and out flies a shell. Now, it wasn't in the chamber before he worked the bolt a few times and there was no real danger because safe gun handling was being practiced, but I was a little shaken, then mad at myself.

I honestly don't know the last time that rifle was used and I really don't know how it was loaded. Well...I guess I know I left it with a few in the magazine but I don't know why or how.

So, I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I'll reiterate the old axiom to treat every gun as if it is loaded because it just may be.

Don't see how handing a loaded gun to a kid and not knowing that it's loaded and then not having the kid check and so on and so forth is consider safe gun handling.

I enjoy what folks think is 'safe'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Safe" because some of the rules were being followed. (Is that like being married six days out of every week? )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's what I enjoy- learning things that make my life better-Read lots of Steelhead's posts about carrying cold- Now I carry cold A LOT more- I liked learning that
Trouble with changing one's mind is that it's a admission that one wasn't born knowing everything everything,but, what the hell

Royce

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
As I've said before, I could care less if folks shoot themselves, in fact I'm all for it, but when they start shooting others I have an issue.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I sure has heck don't know everything and that is exactly the reason I do carry cold.

Didn't always, didn't always think a 223 would work for deer. It took some doing and a few key falls to make me rethink some stuff.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem_7
38 pages...why the bump?

because he likes to troll

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
why is that? because i'm opinionated like the rest of ya? and have the nuts to say it?

most people here hunt hot, oh well,who gives a [bleep] as long as they don't hunt with you?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
JO logic +P, can't make this [bleep] up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
now i'm gonna lose sleep.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Take a 120gr pill, that should put you out.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
natural cause here.thanks dad

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Royce
Here's what I enjoy- learning things that make my life better-Read lots of Steelhead's posts about carrying cold- Now I carry cold A LOT more- I liked learning that
Trouble with changing one's mind is that it's a admission that one wasn't born knowing everything everything,but, what the hell

Royce

wink I agree. Eating crow beats starving just as waking up smarting beats not waking up at all. As Steelhead just said, I think most folks who come around to carrying largely cold have done so only through simple luck, fate, or the grace of God - they weren't born to operate so safely (we're guys for Pete's sake!)

I'm thinking if one can find it possible to learn these things even "between Flippant and Glib", then it should be possible for just about anyone - even me. grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Royce

Royce

wink I agree. Eating crow beats starving just as waking up smarting beats not waking up at all. As Steelhead just said, I think most folks who come around to carrying largely cold have done so only through simple luck, fate, or the grace of God - they weren't born to operate so safely (we're guys for Pete's sake!)

I'm thinking if one can find it possible to learn these things even "between Flippant and Glib", then it should be possible for just about anyone - even me. grin

Posts like this, most people can relate to and take in advice,not, your a [bleep] idiot if you don't do it my way.My only stance has been it is not an option 100% of the time and i will always believe that.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem_7

Posts like this, most people can relate to and take in advice,not, your a [bleep] idiot if you don't do it my way.My only stance has been it is not an option 100% of the time and i will always believe that.

It is ALWAYS an option. It may not always be the BEST option, but it is always the safest option with regard to ADs and the only one that is 100% effective.

I, for one, wouldn�t crawl through the alders after a wounded griz with an empty chamber � I�d go hot with the safety on. But I�ll probably never have to worry about it, either, or DG of any kind.

By the way, I don�t recall any cold carry types calling hot carry types idiots � can�t say the same for the reverse. I guess the cold carry types don�t have their egos threatened if others choose a different method of carry...

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/16/09.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Deer season starts in about 6 hours...can't sleep..............shocked. Happens every season.....smile.

BUT.......having added one post to this thread and read most others ('cuz I like to learn as well and see what others think and why), I must disagree that those espousing "hot" initiated the spewing of disparaging, contentious, unproductive and quite childlike remarks earlier on than any expressing "cold" as their preference.

I believe that "douche bag" and "stupidity" (long for stupid, I'm thinking), were thrown out to describe those that didn't conform with one zealously leaning "cold".

Just sayin'...............tryin' to keep the record straight and the playin' field level........if possible.

Could care less how other's may choose to carry while huntin' as long as they consistently practice all other safe, gun handling etiquette (to include carrying "cold", if they so choose). Can't imagine anyone caring quite so much.

I am very selective about whom I hunt with and rarely are any other hunters within miles of me and mine when afield. IF I choose to hunt with someone other than my son and they/he engages in reckless gun behavior, they don't go afield with me or my son again. That has happened once and he about blew my head off from 4 ft. away (gettin' up from the prone after missin' several shots at a nice blacktail that I'd spotted for him....having chambered another round while still in the prone....turned my way with his 338 and pulled the trigger for some unknown reason). It went right over my head and I was deaf for quite awhile. Not good, but things work out, at least partially sometimes.

This guy quit "huntin" (thankfully) shortly thereafter and wondered if I could find a buyer for his 338. I jumped on it right away, for 2 reasons. He'd just recently lost his job and had 2 young one's at home and needed the $ AND he shouldn't ever have owned a firearm......IMHO. I accept some of the blame as he asked to go with me and I said yes. I like to help others hunt and my son and I had already tagged out. For the life of me I can't figure how one determines if another knows and follows huntin' etiquette before one hunts with that person? Seemingly squared away otherwise..................?

Another member of this site now owns that 338.....a much more deserving individual in regards to safety issues and being aware of such things.

Carry on.................

Last edited by magnumb; 10/17/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry cold 99.99% of the time. the exception being the gig already mentioned when diggin out a wounded bruin in the thick and nasty, then the sling comes off, you slooowww way down, colors seem brighter, you hear better, it's an exhilirating experience.

specially when you pause to think "hey I'm gettin $200 a day to do this chit, lucky me"

I've walked up to an old moose kill hot on occassion when there's been bear sign about, but more often I've walked up cold just ready to cycle and fire.

I think how a guy hunts the majority of the time and who and how he was instructed to hunt early on, plays a large part in his decision whether to or not.

I have hunted hot in my youth for both squirrel and deer, but I changed that in adulthood when I realized I can work my action pdq and just felt like it wasn't worth it.

am thinking guys that only still hunt and are moving ever soooo slooowwly have a hard time grasping how some dumbazz falls down with a rifle in hand.

I've bailed guys off the side of a mountain, run a sprint across giant tussocks (the tundra hop) to get to the other side of a valley so that we could intercept caribou migrating. Lots of spills in that sorta action.

if I still hunt (not one of my fave ways to hunt) I prefer spot and stalk, it takes enormous discipline for me to move as slow as I feel you need to in order to be effective at still hunting.

took me a long time to develop the discipline to glass, glass, glass and glass some more to find animals.

I used to be in a hurry.

really feel you don't give up much if anything by hunting cold in the majority of scenarios and am hopin cooler heads prevail and guys will just evaluate if it might be a better way for them to do things.

for lots of other reasons than "hot or cold" I'm picky about who I hunt with as I believe most folks here probably are as well.

but I do go cold the vast majority of the time, it just makes sense to me. YMMV

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"hey I'm gettin $200 a day to do this chit, lucky me"

That pops to mind in just those moments, doesn't it?

smile

The issue "cold vs. hot chamber" can IMHO put to rest as follows:

Hot chamber only while stand hunting (sitting, not moving) or ferreting (as 1akhunter describes above).

In stand hunting, because it can be done safely and in ferreting because it need be done (one would not want to fumble a load in such instance).

Anybody advocating a need for a round in the chamber while moving through thickets hunting deer, revokes reason.

It has been proven, in real hunting by expert hunters, and laid out in these threads through pictures too often, that hunting thick stuff cold can very much so be done successfully to keep incisting on a "need" for a hot chamber to do so.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
weren't directed at you but if you feel the need to get bunched up at every little thing, knock yourself out.

I Burn While I See
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
realized later, my bad..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
For an example of how folks tend to handle firearms when they "know" the chamber is empty, spend an hour in any gun shop. I agree-a good gun handler, with an empty chamber, is darn safe. But, offsetting that IMHO is the idea of all the bad gun handlers put there... Thinking they have an empty chamber, when they don't. In a season's hunting, in a 100% mandated "cold carry" scenario, rifles would get chambered a LOT. They'd get un-chambered again some smaller number of times... There's risk there, too.

As to risks, manage them as you see fit. Driving 55 on the highway is probably your statistically best place to start- for you and the people around you. Do it for the children.

So... Safe to say the cold carry guys will be the ones putzing along in the slow lane...? smile

My only real interest here is when guys say that hot-carry hunters don't belong in the woods... Dunno if that's happened lately as I'm not monitoring this. It did happen earlier in the thread. Other than that, who cares... Do as you see fit.

This has been beat to death yet you chose to thread it and then bump it a year later. Bottom line is few will change so it's just you trolling.

I Burn While I See
Page 57 of 66 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 51 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,924
Posts18,518,884
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.