Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 58 of 66 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 65 66
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BradArnett
Did it last year on a Michigan public land whitetail buck at 40yds.....and I was a week into rifle season. Our bucks are pretty damn spooky by then too. I was stillhunting my way through a cedar swamp. I had my share of slips and trips in that mess too. It's only as hard as you make it, and had I not gotten that buck because of the fact that I had to chamber a round first......it would have been OK.

Bout sums it up.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

It is ALWAYS an option. It may not always be the BEST option, but it is always the safest option with regard to ADs and the only one that is 100% effective.

Cold Carry isn't a 100% safety gaurantee. How many people have thought a chamber was "cold" when in fact was not? I think nobody here will argue that it is without a doubt, "safer"

By the way, I don�t recall any cold carry types calling hot carry types idiots � can�t say the same for the reverse. I guess the cold carry types don�t have their egos threatened if others choose a different method of carry...

Then read this.
Originally Posted by Calvin
Only a [bleep] idiot would walk around with a hot chamber...

I am a cold carry type (usually). I am just trying to keep this fair.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter

It is ALWAYS an option. It may not always be the BEST option, but it is always the safest option with regard to ADs and the only one that is 100% effective.

Cold Carry isn't a 100% safety gaurantee. How many people have thought a chamber was "cold" when in fact was not? I think nobody here will argue that it is without a doubt, "safer"

Cod carry is 100% safe 100% of the time. By definition �cold carry� means the chamber is really empty. A hot chamber that is believed to be cold is still a hot chamber.

No one has ever been shot with a cold chamber and no one ever will � by definition. People used to think the world was flat but they were mistaken about that, too.

By the way, I don�t recall any cold carry types calling hot carry types idiots � can�t say the same for the reverse. I guess the cold carry types don�t have their egos threatened if others choose a different method of carry...

Then read this.
Originally Posted by Calvin
Only a [bleep] idiot would walk around with a hot chamber...

I am a cold carry type (usually). I am just trying to keep this fair.

Someone pointed that out in the other thread as well. I was correct in saying �I don�t recall� any such statements, but like those that mistake a hot chamber for a cold one, I was mistaken...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hunt hot, been doing it all my life as well as following gun safety rules all my life. Was taught that way by my dad before I was old enough to start hunting, and I've taught all my kids the same way. Been one accidental discharge from both sides of my family in over 80 years of hunting and it happened to me with a worn shotgun safety on an old Stevens double barrel 410 when I was about 12 years old. No repercussions as the gun was pointed in a safe direction at the time. I also sleep hot when in the woods, you never know what might walk in your tent. Had a black bear walk in our tent about 4 years ago banging and clashing pots and pans as he knocked around in our kitchen. Three forths of us came up with pistols drawn and pointed towards the intruder. Nobody had to shoot as alot of hollering chased the big blackie out of the tent. I might also add all guns were pointed at the bear and we all took a stance where if we needed to shoot nobody would of been in harms way. An unloaded gun in the woods is just a club, I prefer having more of an equalizer if I ever need it. If your not a safe gun handler, you don't hunt with us period. If your new and get invited, you're watched by everyone present to make sure you practise safe gun handling, if you don't, you're asked to leave and you're not invited back, no exceptions no second chances.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt with a round in the chamber. A rifle without a round in the chamber is just another piece of pipe-useless.
I also hunt alone so I don't give a crap about bush etiquette.

Where do rangers go when they want to get away from it all?
LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I did yesterday.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I hunt hot in a "hot" area, especially in thick timber. I don't hike in or out hot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 11yo son thinks the "hot carry" crowds adamant and feverishly spouted reasons for their chosen methods simply doesn't cut the mustard....

Case in point:

This weekend while still hunting in some thick brush, my boy had absolutely no problem with wracking a round, raising his rifle while simultaneously flipping the scope covers open, pasting his cross-hair and trippin' the trigger on this freakish spike at under 30 yards.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wouldn't consider a spike deer or elk to be very smart, seen alot of really dumb ones over the years. Lets see him try that with a cagey old buck thats been around for awhile. Bet they won't be standing still long enough to feed a round in the chamber at under 30 yards.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How bout a wolf or a B&C buck?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about wild boar?

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Guess it depends on the animal and how many humans they've been around and how many hunting seasons they've lived thru. I've walked up to B&C caribou on the north slope that acted no different than walking up to a domestic cow in a field. Also saw an artic fox with a dog collar around its neck the same winter. I'm sure I could of drug a wheelbarrow load of rifles right up to either one of them, loaded them all, flipped off the safetys and flipped open the scope covers and they would of stood their stupidly looking at me waiting to be shot. Now try the same thing with a wolf who's had his ass burned by a rancher for trying to take down a cow and I'd venture to say he'll be hauling ass as soon as he hears the screen door open, much less stay around for a round to get chambered. So yeah, I'd say there's wolves and B&C bucks out there that have never seen or smelled a human much less been shot at before. And we all know the young of any wild critter out there is WAY less smart than the older ones who've been around for awhile, thus my comment regarding spikes.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Guess I'll just happily keep killing the stupid ones.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Raised on a farm, part of my chores included having to feed the hogs. I know they're supposed to be smart but sorry I just don't see it. Figure their about as smart as a chicken, not so much in my opinion. Wild hogs that have been hunted, maybe so. Guess they'd be no different than any other animal thats been chased and shot at by man, the more pressure they've seen the spookier they get.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Agreed on the farm and wild hog analogy. Much like cows and deer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunting season runs year round in Germany. 81 Mio. people in a country smaller than most states in the US.

Any tract of land not inhabited is under some hunters lease or trust by law.

I double dare any population of game animals to be more hunted and accustomed to human haressment than most here in Germany.

Here are some facts in despite:

Game populations soar and strive. Great hunting.

You still do not need any Hubble - type telescopes. Animals are not nocturnal.

You still do not need to do any hasty snap shots from a hot chamber - despite thick undergrows and hunting weary critters.

There is no 'need' for a hot chamber. Keep arguing a 'want' - just be frank about it.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I fed these on a farm as a kid

[Linked Image]

No difference between them and a wild turkey, in fact I usually just hunt wild turkey with an ax.....laffin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I very seldom have a need for a hasty snap shot in the country I hunt. Used to get a kick out of going into the thick stuff and sneaking up on them in their beds, not so much anymore, been there done that for many years. Been into long range shooting for almost ten years now so I much prefer more open country. Hell nowadays I'd have enough time to chamber 50 rounds without them even knowing I'm anywhere around. Alot of times I'm watching them for quite awhile before I've decided to take my shot. I just see no point in not having a round chambered for most all my hunting. Now if I had my gun slung and was trying to scale a particularily steep area or one that I had a chance of taking a tumble down the mountainside, I'll remove the one in the chamber - its just common sense.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've done my share of turkey hunting also. A turkey can be both the smartest and the dumbest critter in the woods. If you don't believe me get in some thick stuff and let a flock come right up to you, then jump up yelling and waving your arms. I've seen them same 'smart gobblers' fly right into vines and trees knocking themselves to the ground trying to get away. Funny how they can be so smart at times and so damn stupid in another situation. Did that more than once as a youngster just for the laughs it provided.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I really don't think any of them (deer, turkey etc) are smart, they are just wild.

Page 58 of 66 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 48 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,915
Posts18,518,724
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.