Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 59 of 66 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 65 66
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Long thread and I don't know if it's been asked in a while but..... How do the cold carry folks hunt with a muzzleloader?

Do they view that type of arm inherently more dangerous? I'm not being facecious.. I'd like an answer.

Both my #11 percussion cap inline and flinter would be difficult to get ready without at least taking my eyes off the game.

I believe the guys when they say they can "hunt" cold but to me it's more of a personal preference, this from a person who worked in industrial safety for 10 years, prevention, investigation and reporting.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Where is the poll? I hunt with one ready to go and the safety on.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
JO has all the numbers.........

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd like to hear what the final tally is myself. I'd venture at least 80% hunt hot, just not curious enough to wade thru 117 pages of votes to find out the answer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gmack
Long thread and I don't know if it's been asked in a while but..... How do the cold carry folks hunt with a muzzleloader?

Do they view that type of arm inherently more dangerous? I'm not being facecious.. I'd like an answer.

Both my #11 percussion cap inline and flinter would be difficult to get ready without at least taking my eyes off the game.

I believe the guys when they say they can "hunt" cold but to me it's more of a personal preference, this from a person who worked in industrial safety for 10 years, prevention, investigation and reporting.

A capping tool hung around the neck makes capping my .50�s a pretty quick proposition. There have been times when I�ve loaded powder and bullet, capped the nipple and still got a shot off. Still, I tend to hunt hot more with my muzzlestuffers than with the centerfires.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is ignorance bliss?

When I've formally taught hunter safety classes to youth, it's always been kids who've grown up around and have already been using guns whom I've instructed. Most of them recognize a "safe" rifle or shotgun. So one of the first things I do it show them my 870 and ask them to inspect the safety to make sure the shotgun cannot fire. After examining and affirming that it is safe to handle, I grab the barrel and thump the butt on the floor whereupon the hammer disengages, firing the primed-only shell which was previously placed in the chamber. It gets their attention. The point is to teach the fact that no safety should be counted on. Secondly, it is a point from which one can teach the idea that there is very little to prevent a firearm's sear from disengaging - and all it takes is the smallest particle of ordinary debris common to the outdoors to make the usually adequate sear engagement no longer safe.

I'm sure those who don't have an awareness and appreciation for their guns' mechanisms probably traipse along with greater confidence in their infallibility. That is the precise reason I almost never engage a safety.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gmack

If you "can" take the safer route, you are dense not to.

This from a person who makes a living teaching wildlife management and hunting practise to forestry students and guides in Germany and Alaska.

Translation of the last sentence - whenever I work whereever, my counterparts and I are handling rifles. I cringe at the thought of all those chambers hot...

Last edited by cmg; 10/18/09.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you rig it or is this a defect? I've known several trap shooters who get trigger jobs on their 870s. The sear engegement is considerable, and with so many of these around; they're everywhere, a problem like this whoud get noticed.
Is this one of the reasons for trigger locks?
There have been several posts from people who had guns w/o sufficient sear engagement...guns that 'just went off' upon releasing the safety.
What do you consider the proper trigger pull?
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wahoo
There have been several posts from people who had guns w/o sufficient sear engagement...guns that 'just went off' upon releasing the safety.
Bill

Remington finally changed their trigger design a while back due to a M700 design flaw that was known since the 60�s. The problem was that some rifles could fire on the release of the safety. The number of rifles affected varied by model but I think it was about 1% for normal M700s and near 50% for M600�s or whatever they called them.

Remington knew of the problem and preferred to pay off lawsuits rather than fix the design. Only recently (a few years back) did they issue a recall. Most of the affected rifles have not been modified and probably never will be.

Sounds to me like a good reason to go cold until actually ready to shoot.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the reply... the point of my comment was a reference to 870 shotguns by another.
Still, what is a correct trigger pull?
Bill

Last edited by wahoo; 10/19/09.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slymule
Wouldn't consider a spike deer or elk to be very smart, seen alot of really dumb ones over the years. Lets see him try that with a cagey old buck thats been around for awhile. Bet they won't be standing still long enough to feed a round in the chamber at under 30 yards.

is that for real?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pulled the trigger section out and rigged it. It was apparent in studying it that the smallest piece of crud, even a bit of rust, could easily cause a potential problem. So I rigged the problem to demonstrate how small the line is that we walk when trusting the mechanism.

Since that time, I know at least one young man who took a shotgun blast at close range. Fortunately it was a richochet so the brunt of the energy was somewhat diminished and he survived.

I still have and use the shotgun I used years ago in making the demonstration. It keep it clean. It has never failed. I very rarely use a safety; I never trust them.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
amazing a subject as stupid as this, can make 118 pages and still counting..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just play some with your settings. Could make it more pages or less.

The issue remains same.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by wahoo
Bill

Remington finally changed their trigger design a while back due to a M700 design flaw that was known since the 60�s. The problem was that some rifles could fire on the release of the safety. The number of rifles affected varied by model but I think it was about 1% for normal M700s and near 50% for M600�s or whatever they called them.

Remington knew of the problem and preferred to pay off lawsuits rather than fix the design. Only recently (a few years back) did they issue a recall. Most of the affected rifles have not been modified and probably never will be.

Sounds to me like a good reason to go cold until actually ready to shoot.

Coyote Hunter
If you do a search here on 700 triggers, the Walker trigger, whatever, you can likely find details of the cases involved and much more than you want to read.

But a couple points; there was never a recall, several changes were made over time including using beefier trigger weight springs, the trigger change was not related to any civil action or defect in the Walker trigger, the primary case cited was a MT woman that shot her son on the other side of a horse trailer with a rifle that could not be made to fail again.

The most dangerous aspect of that trigger was the Bubba that got inside it...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Put me down as hunting hot, safety on, finger always outside the trigger housing until ready to shoot, and always very conscious as to where my muzzle is pointing. I will go cold when crossing fence lines, in rough terrain, and while bringing my rifle up to my tree stand.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by slymule
An unloaded gun in the woods is just a club,...

Can you explain how to cycle the bolt on a club? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
A rifle without a round in the chamber is just another piece of pipe-useless.

Or a pipe?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
amazing a subject as stupid as this, can make 118 pages and still counting..
Considering the ramifications - the possibility of people being saved from injury or much worse as a result of this thread - I for one hardly think this is a "stupid subject". In act, I would rank the subject matter as one of the more important ones being discussed anywhere on this web site.

Page 59 of 66 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 222Sako, 49 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,923
Posts18,518,859
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.